The Student Room Group

Part-time PC World sales advisor

So I'm applying for a sales advisor position at my local PC World down the road and I've following through their online application. This would be my first proper part-time job (non-freelance). I've selected the "I am a university student and would be working part-time" option.

During the online form they ask if I am available to work bank holidays such as New Year and Christmas. As most of you probably understand, these are about the only times I can logistically see my family. According to the form, I am "falling short" - slightly offputting.

Under that, there is the flexibility option. I selected "I can sometimes be flexible with my hours" - which, I imagine, is what the majority of students would select. Apparently I am also "falling short" on that as well.

Now, I would've probably totally ignored this anyway if it didn't also have this paragraph:
At this stage, unfortunately your background and experience do not match some of the essential requirements for this role. As your skills and experience develop you may like to return again in the future to see if there are any suitable vacancies.

Has anyone else applied to PC World in similar circumstances and succeeded with an application anyway? It seems they expect insurmountable dedication from even those who they are surely aware are literally just working there to survive.
Reply 1
You could try it as is, or lie on the form and then explain it for interview. No PC-World in my country so I can't help you much with them specifically.

You've mentioned freelancing... could you continue doing this or try find an on-campus PC repairs job? I assume you worked in that, given you're applying to PC-World? Maybe you could set up a campus PC repair service if there isn't one!
Reply 2
I am continuing to, but unfortunately I have a lot of costs that Student Finance don't cover (minimum loan) and I just ain't got that many contacts. :lol: I need steady income. :/
Reply 3
Original post by Bath House
Good luck, your going to need it. Sounds like you dont have a hope in hell. OP please update the fred when you fail. Also send pics?

Thanks, bro. Will update with pics when I land on Mars. Did you remember to feed the kids? They're getting thirsty.
Reply 4
Original post by Bath House
Yeah I just watered you half sister.

Cool, cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending