The Student Room Group

Medicine help!!!

So I sat my Gcse's a year early and managed to get 5A's 3'Bs and 1C but I am really dissapointed because I wanted to do something related with medicine. But there is no chance I will get into a medical school with these GCSE's they just aren't good enough. Anyway I think i might be able to retake the whole GCSE's in one year and do the linear specification and I will be aiming for 9 A* the full lot. Should I retake my GCSE's because they have a massive impact and I know people will say your A-levels are more important but having great GCSE's help a lot more. HELP PLEASE :frown:
I don't think retaking your GCSEs will help since many medical schools do not accept re-takes.
You can still get into medicine with those GCSEs. Do some research and see that entry requirements don't require all A*s - though you'll have a tougher time due to competition, it's not impossible.

Original post by Super199
So I sat my Gcse's a year early and managed to get 5A's 3'Bs and 1C but I am really dissapointed because I wanted to do something related with medicine. But there is no chance I will get into a medical school with these GCSE's they just aren't good enough. Anyway I think i might be able to retake the whole GCSE's in one year and do the linear specification and I will be aiming for 9 A* the full lot. Should I retake my GCSE's because they have a massive impact and I know people will say your A-levels are more important but having great GCSE's help a lot more. HELP PLEASE :frown:
Reply 2
I while those results may put you at a disadvantage in some medical schools it will be irrelevant in others for example Leeds only consider the better of the AS or GCSE results so it's probably better to just apply tactically than waste time retaking. The only concern would be if those grades reflect you A level abilities you made struggle as I have a number of friends who did similar to you or better and have been unable to make the grades in A levels. It's one thing to aim for 9A*'s in a full set of retakes but I think you first need to think very carefully about why you were so far from that this time around? It is probably best to move onto a levels the exams that really show your potential for medicine and have a back up plan such as graduate medicine in mind too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending