The Student Room Group

civil service summer diversity internship 2014

Scroll to see replies

I was wondering if it is possible to choose what department you intern in? Does the Foreign Office participate?
Reply 381
Yes the Foreign Office participates. You can't choose which department you get placed in, but mention in your interview that you have a particular interest in a department and apparently they can use that info to place you (especially if you give good reasons for your interest, i.e. a dissertation topic). You also rate your interests at one stage (I think the application stage) but these are fairly vague and people rarely got their first choice.
Original post by rm436
Ummm I found out a few days after I did it, which I think was late December or early Jan. But like I said, I found out late because I applied late. One thing you will have to get used to is a lot of waiting, and the Fast Stream team constantly telling you 'you'll know tomorrow/by the end of the week etc' when you won't! This was especially bad when finding out the final results after our phone interviews and I'm now dealing with the same for my Fast Stream application. Unfortunately all you can do is wait :frown: You probably won't find out if you've actually got a place on the SDIP until April!

Ah thank you. This isn't really the best of situations, especially if you're applying for other internships. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait! :smile:
Original post by rm436
Also for the interview, listen to the queues that the interviewer gives you and DONT let them put you off. My interviewer (she interviewed a lot of my intern friends too) was so harsh. She interrupted me, told me what I was saying didn't make sense/wasn't relevant etc. It was scary!

THIS IS SO TRUE! I must have had the same woman because as soon as I put the phone down I cried because I thought I had blown it!!

What made it trickier for me was that I had been to my university careers service for advice and so I had basically scripted what I would say for each question so when she interrupted it really threw me off as I had to go 'off-script'.

My advice for this years applicants would be to know your example well but, as has been said above, listen to what the interviewer says and don't be put off by the further probing questions that they ask.

Also prepare for questions about the civil service, what it is, what it does, and why you want this internship.
Hi I'm interested in applying for this and I am quite badly dyslexic. I'm not sure whether or not to put myself down for the GIS? Anyway other dyslexics in here put yourself down for it or did you just ask for adjustments?
the competency test I want to write strongly agree to everything ah ! this is rather hard
Original post by heatherela
Hi I'm interested in applying for this and I am quite badly dyslexic. I'm not sure whether or not to put myself down for the GIS? Anyway other dyslexics in here put yourself down for it or did you just ask for adjustments?

If you have dyslexia it is automatically counted as a disability so dont we apply for GIS automatically. Dont let dyslexia stop you applying!

I am confused about which department to say I want to apply to... it is difficult to choose
Hey guys,

I've recently applied, passed the tests, completed the Application form and now I'm awaiting my results.

Anyone else applying/applied? (For the 2015 cycle)
Hey guys,

I've recently applied, passed the tests, completed the Application form and now I'm awaiting my results.

Original post by Livtwist
Hey guys,

I'm in the same position! good luck
Original post by Omiclops
I'm in the same position! good luck

Same to you!! Any idea when we find out?
Same to you!! Any idea when we find out?

no idea, I've been checking my application everyday! I've heard early feb but it's all guesswork at this point
Reply 392
Hey guys,
Has anybody heard back yet? :smile:
Original post by cm1392
Hey guys,

Nope :frown:
Original post by cm1392
Hey guys,

Nope 😩😴😩
Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone on this thread could give any advice about the phone interview? I just have been told that I have passed the application stage and would really appreciate some advice! Will they ask you why you put down a particular department? I am sort of undecided which one I would actually want to work in... Basically any advice would be appreciated!!
Hi, I hope someone who has already done the internship will see this message! Was just wondering, what dates were your internships? As in, how long were they, from what date?Thanks.
Telephone Interview on the 30th!! Any tips/advice?
Reply 398
Original post by Taurus05
Hi, I hope someone who has already done the internship will see this message! Was just wondering, what dates were your internships? As in, how long were they, from what date?Thanks.

Hey :smile: They all start/finish at different times. They are generally 6-9 weeks long but are often easily extended. Mine was 6 but I chose to stay two extra weeks because I loved it. It was totally optional though. I know people who extended much longer (months). My internship started I think June 30th and ended at the end of August. Most people's started around that date - some a week or two earlier and some a week or two later. They are flexible though.
Reply 399
Telephone Interview on the 30th!! Any tips/advice?

Yes, lots!!

Firstly, look up the competencies you will be tested on and write down examples of when you've done each of them (do at least two examples for each one). Be prepared to adapt your examples a bit in the interview but this prep will REALLY help and will mean you won't be stuck for things to say. Have it in front of you when you're on the phone!!! The questions will basically be 'tell me about a time you've done this'.

Secondly, in the interview itself, don't be put off by followup questions/them telling you you've gone off track etc. They are just trying to get you to say the right thing. My interviewer would say things like 'okay stop talking about that now', which was awful and off putting but I got through so it can't have been too bad!! I know a LOT of other interns got the same thing. More than one person said they cried after the interview because they thought they failed due to the interviewers comments. So my advice is to NOT let this put you off, they are simply trying to help you!! They want you to get through so they're guiding you to the right response (so make sure you listen to and respond to their prompts!!).

Thirdly, they will ask you questions like 'why does diversity matter' and 'why do you want this internship'. With the diversity question, I know one person last year basically told them that they didn't get the point of a diversity internship and then they were rejected. Hopefully you do see the point of a diversity internship (otherwise I'd seriously question if the CS is for you), so you should be fine :smile: but basically don't underestimate the importance of these questions.

I guess finally I would say just relax. When the phone starts to ring obviously it's scary, but just take a deep breath and think of it as a nice conversation about your experiences. It's probably one of the most enjoyable interviews I've done, because it was just about my life and the things I've done.

Good luck! I don't check my account on here much but my email is [email protected] and you are so welcome to email me for advice any time. I remember what it was like last year so I'd love to help you out if you need it! (Anyone else reading this is also 100% welcome to email me.)

Also - be prepared for a LONG wait. Last year we were waiting months to know whether we'd got it or not. The HR team are very unorganised - I wouldn't even bother asking them when you'll know because they continually lie to you. Don't let this put you of though, once you're recruited you're moved over to the HR team from your department who are great.

Quick Reply

Latest