The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

your all forgetting the wonderment that is Judge Judy--american yes, so not really so useful for anything british law related, but shes a fierce bird...and damned funny.
Reply 41
And she was actually a judge! An a well respected one in the New York Family Court, apparently. Scary...
scary? her, or the prospect that she could be a judge?! LOL! Both i expect.

BUT! the job she does now has set her up--she takes a private jet to the filming of her show, which still continues to be more regularly watched in the states than Oprah or Jerry Springer!
Reply 43
She's an insult to an otherwise honourable profession!

But kudos on all the cash :biggrin:
Reply 44
But you wouldn't mess with her.
alison_141288
sorry about resurrecting an old thread but are there any fictional books you could read that are also quite educational for someone applying to do law. i swear someone posted up the title of a fictional book which is v. reputable and would be good to add onto my PS but iv trawled old threads and can't find it

Bleak House by Dickens is quite an interesting look at the law - however may not necessarily encourage you to want to take it up! :rolleyes:

Look at The Merchant of Venice (Shakespeare) for a look at law and morality. I enjoyed reading this play :smile:
Merchant of Venice is really really good I loved that ... mainly cos when you watch it Shylock is always played by some mental people!
I'm pretty sure its been mentioned already (both in good and bad lights), but I was on Mini-Pupillage with a Barrister this week and he recommended Learning the Law by Glanville Williams. "Excellent Book, a very clear introduction" he said. So there you go.
That book appears to receive alot of plaudits ... might take a glance at it to see if its any good.
Reply 49
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Merchant of Venice is really really good I loved that ... mainly cos when you watch it Shylock is always played by some mental people!

Swot :p:
ARGH! I emailed Durham's Law Dept to ask when they were going to dish out the reading lists---"A couple of weeks!". it starts on Oct 1st, for god's sake!

I thought lawyer's were supposed to be efficient.
sablacklock88
I thought lawyer's were supposed to be efficient.

You are young, but you will learn.... :wink:

PS. We were lucky to get them within a month of starting term at Leeds Met :eek:
Anyway, it wont be a reading list ... itll be a few intro books which they know no-one reads anyway and they teach all the basics in some crappy module you will despise anyway!!
It came today! Yay!!

Latest

Trending

Trending