The Student Room Group

Migraine Sufferers Society

Hi and welcome to the Migraine Sufferers Society's official thread. Discuss anything migraine related here and don't forget to join the group, have fun!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

is there anyone out there?
Reply 2
Original post by + polarity -
is there anyone out there?

Yep. Migraine sufferer, although currently well controlled by amitriptiline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
all I am here to say is, I've had migraines for years, recently (past year) been on random different meds. They did f*ck all, so I stopped taking them.
Avoid using screens excessively, limit the amount of chocolate and cheese you consume, and orgasm alot = I haven't had any migraines for MONTHS!!
Original post by Katty3
Yep. Migraine sufferer, although currently well controlled by amitriptiline.

that is brilliant to hear :biggrin:

I was going to ask anyone who responded how they managed them :colondollar:
Original post by Anonymous
all I am here to say is, I've had migraines for years, recently (past year) been on random different meds. They did f*ck all, so I stopped taking them.
Avoid using screens excessively, limit the amount of chocolate and cheese you consume, and orgasm alot = I haven't had any migraines for MONTHS!!

:beard: All chocolate?

What meds did you try if you don't mind me asking? :redface:
Reply 6
*waves* long term sufferer here, worse on my monthlies -_- also have m.e too.. on imigran at the moment, but as only get six tablets a month it can be hard :/
Original post by Samwin
*waves* long term sufferer here, worse on my monthlies -_- also have m.e too.. on imigran at the moment, but as only get six tablets a month it can be hard :/

Ask for the pill if it's affected by period problems. I did and it's helped so much.They won't normally give it for that reason; but my GP was happy. But she could tell I was rather desparate.

Another one here too... Currently have to take imigram nasal spray and Topamax. Both are horrible. The former has just given me an infection and the latter does all kinds of horrible things, including giving me hearing trouble and I think it's affecting my sleep again.
Original post by Tiger Rag
The former has just given me an infection

How? :eek:

and the latter does all kinds of horrible things, including giving me hearing trouble and I think it's affecting my sleep again.

I came across a comment a couple of days ago that described zonisamide/Zonegran as similar to Topamax but weaker (and perhaps with weaker/fewer side effects?) that looks really promising, but I don't think it's prescribed in this country for migraine :sad:
Original post by + polarity -
How? :eek:

One of the side effects of squirting something up your nose, is that it gives you a rather snotty nose. Blow it too much (as I did) and it can cause all kinds of problems. I thought it was "just" sinus problems. (because I had pain in between my eyes) I was getting nose bleeds which just wouldn't go and neither would the sinus pain. GP confirmed it was indeed infected.

Has anyone successfully worked out their triggers? I've been advised to do this. Trouble is, one trigger is noise (I also have a lot of hearing problems) and the other is light. Both are kinda difficult to avoid. I know I also get migraine if I don't eat or drink enough.
I suffer from them too though not as much as I used to. They were really bad when I was a teen and especially when I was entering puberty. I would get about 3 a month and they would last for days at at time and no pain relief would help. Now I get them maybe once every 6 months but I've noticed I tend to get just the aura now instead of the full blown pain. The last time I had the aura was last summer and before it came, I had a migraine and the pain lasted about 6 hours and went away and then boom, the aura hit me. It was only the third time in my life I had ever had the aura and I felt no pain after it, just had the terrible pain before it.

Migraines are horrible and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. I have a family history of them. The auras are horrible. Mine stat off like a little sun dot in my vision and within a min or 2, I can't see or read half of the things. I can only see half of someone's face or read half of a license plate and then the blind spot gets bigger and then changes into flashing lights and dots and zig zags and then slowly moves out of my vision within about half an hour. I also get pins and needles and find it hard to think or talk. I always worry I'm having a stroke when I get that. It bloody terrifies me even when I know its just a migraine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
I suffer from them too though not as much as I used to. They were really bad when I was a teen and especially when I was entering puberty. I would get about 3 a month and they would last for days at at time and no pain relief would help. Now I get them maybe once every 6 months but I've noticed I tend to get just the aura now instead of the full blown pain. The last time I had the aura was last summer and before it came, I had a migraine and the pain lasted about 6 hours and went away and then boom, the aura hit me. It was only the third time in my life I had ever had the aura and I felt no pain after it, just had the terrible pain before it.

Migraines are horrible and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. I have a family history of them. The auras are horrible. Mine stat off like a little sun dot in my vision and within a min or 2, I can't see or read half of the things. I can only see half of someone's face or read half of a license plate and then the blind spot gets bigger and then changes into flashing lights and dots and zig zags and then slowly moves out of my vision within about half an hour. I also get pins and needles and find it hard to think or talk. I always worry I'm having a stroke when I get that. It bloody terrifies me even when I know its just a migraine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds horrible :frown:

I'm actually glad I don't get the aura. I used to get the aura as a teenager, which is pretty scary. I appeared to grow out of them and they started again in 2012. :frown:
Got some amitriptyline today so erm... hoping it will help me :redface:

Has anyone successfully worked out their triggers?

I have a list written down somewhere but even though I avoid everything on it I still get them seemingly randomly. Beginning to suspect my pillow is having some kind of effect...
I'm on topiramate for them right now but was on propranolol in the past. One of the worst things is the aura really but the pain is unbearable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alldayniqqa
I'm on topiramate for them right now but was on propranolol in the past. One of the worst things is the aura really but the pain is unbearable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm currently on topirimate. It has given me mild hearing loss. Fun. And is currently giving me insomnia.
I'm currently on topirimate. It has given me mild hearing loss. Fun. And is currently giving me insomnia.

How long have you been on it for. I get insomnia for a week or so when I first started or whenever my dose is increased. I have been noticing some hearing loss but didn't think it had anything to do with the topiramate. Interesting.

The worst thing is probably the brain fog but that seems to have gone now.
Original post by alldayniqqa
How long have you been on it for. I get insomnia for a week or so when I first started or whenever my dose is increased. I have been noticing some hearing loss but didn't think it had anything to do with the topiramate. Interesting.

The worst thing is probably the brain fog but that seems to have gone now.

About 2.5 years now.

I've had the brain fog too. And pins and needles too. I've also been unable to stay awaken on it.
Reply 17
So glad I'm not alone! I have chronic- I get them daily if I don't take topiramate. I was told my pins and needles for it would go after a month or so but it's gotten progressively worse where I now can't write and I'm struggling to type- my dose increased up to 4x25mg (total) about a month ago

About 2.5 years now.

I've had the brain fog too. And pins and needles too. I've also been unable to stay awaken on it.
Original post by lilGem
So glad I'm not alone! I have chronic- I get them daily if I don't take topiramate. I was told my pins and needles for it would go after a month or so but it's gotten progressively worse where I now can't write and I'm struggling to type- my dose increased up to 4x25mg (total) about a month ago

They put me on 4x25mg in October. I then started with pins and needles and then the hearing loss.

I'm now on 2x25mg in the morning and the pins and needles have gone. The hearing loss hasn't and I have no idea now whether this is a permanent problem - as it's damage to something within the ear.

@+ polarity - good luck with amitriptyline. I could not stay awake on that stuff. Whilst sleeping with migraine isn't a bad thing, falling asleep whilst talking to someone, (and no, he doesn't bore me that much!) isn't! :redface:
Reply 19
They put me on 4x25mg in October. I then started with pins and needles and then the hearing loss.

I'm now on 2x25mg in the morning and the pins and needles have gone. The hearing loss hasn't and I have no idea now whether this is a permanent problem - as it's damage to something within the ear.

@+ polarity - good luck with amitriptyline. I could not stay awake on that stuff. Whilst sleeping with migraine isn't a bad thing, falling asleep whilst talking to someone, (and no, he doesn't bore me that much!) isn't! :redface:

I've had pins and needles since being on it since October no matter the dose :/ after having switched from Amitryptiline- switched because I couldn't deal with the drowsiness and it had no effect on migraines either :redface:

I'm not sure if the pins and needles are because of the topiramate or not now because they have lasted for so long, nor is my doctor

Quick Reply

Latest