The Student Room Group

Oxbridge - work ethic or intelligence?

Hello TSR,

I am a AS level student studying Maths, Physics, Economics, Chemistry, and Critical thinking, and, although it is early, I am considering applying to oxford or cambridge, and other top universities. The courses I am considering include: engineering, natural sciences, economics etc. For those interested my GCSE grades were:
8A* 2A.

I am looking to get all A's this coming summer as well, however, for my question, my grades and co-curricular doesn't apply. Although I am a smart individual, I have always felt my work ethic has been the main factor in my success, and, although it may seem foolish, I was wondering how big a factor does natural intelligence (IQ)plays in getting into these top universities? My grades are at the correct standard (I presume), and my co-curricular is looking promising (EPQ, Gold Crest award, Olympiads,further reading, sports etc), I am afraid that I do not have the raw ability to get in. Is this fear misguided? I feel as if I can work towards anything, but when it comes to this, I don't have the confidence to say so yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
I heard somewhere that most people have much more potential than they think.

It could be a load of rubbish of course, but there's no harm in applying. If you can get all As at AS then there is certainly potential, I would have thought. I got all As for AS last summer and am applying to do Maths at Cambridge. I sometimes think "wait - I must be an egotistical fool" to apply there, especially for a subject like that, but then I just tell myself that it's where I want to go, and it's not the end of the world if I don't get in. Just apply and see what happens.
Reply 2
In the grand scheme of things, life doesn't measure the unfairness or fairness of your life compared to that of any other. An admissions tutor might give it some bearing but hardly to the extent that would be objectively fair. If life was objectively fair perhaps Oxbridge admissions tutors should be out head hunting for students from a very early age in every single school in every country across the world. That's if those students even want to go to Oxford or Cambridge of course. The Ivy League, for instance, or even any other British university, might look far more attractive environments to some regardless of their intellect.

So always remember that natural flair, no matter how great, never helped millions of people throughout history in to getting in to Oxbridge.
Even a great work ethic might not have.
The circumstances of your birth and your attitude to how your life has panned out will most influence whether you apply to Oxbridge and whether you get in. The other stuff is just meat and drink , the pass you wave.
Life is not equal. It's unfair.
Reply 3
Original post by LChand
Hello TSR,

I am a AS level student studying Maths, Physics, Economics, Chemistry, and Critical thinking, and, although it is early, I am considering applying to oxford or cambridge, and other top universities. The courses I am considering include: engineering, natural sciences, economics etc. For those interested my GCSE grades were:
8A* 2A.

I am looking to get all A's this coming summer as well, however, for my question, my grades and co-curricular doesn't apply. Although I am a smart individual, I have always felt my work ethic has been the main factor in my success, and, although it may seem foolish, I was wondering how big a factor does natural intelligence (IQ)plays in getting into these top universities? My grades are at the correct standard (I presume), and my co-curricular is looking promising (EPQ, Gold Crest award, Olympiads,further reading, sports etc), I am afraid that I do not have the raw ability to get in. Is this fear misguided? I feel as if I can work towards anything, but when it comes to this, I don't have the confidence to say so yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You shouldn't be worrying if you're intelligent enough to get a place. Doing good in a level exams is more or less easy. When you get there, thats where the s*** begins. Its if you get in you should worry if you're smart enough to keep up and get a first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it :smile: I will definitely be considering applying there now, if my grades are up to scratch :P
Reply 5
Original post by Picnic1
In the grand scheme of things, life doesn't measure the unfairness or fairness of your life compared to that of any other. An admissions tutor might give it some bearing but hardly to the extent that would be objectively fair. If life was objectively fair perhaps Oxbridge admissions tutors should be out head hunting for students from a very early age in every single school in every country across the world. That's if those students even want to go to Oxford or Cambridge of course. The Ivy League, for instance, or even any other British university, might look far more attractive environments to some regardless of their intellect.

So always remember that natural flair, no matter how great, never helped millions of people throughout history in to getting in to Oxbridge.
Even a great work ethic might not have.
The circumstances of your birth and your attitude to how your life has panned out will most influence whether you apply to Oxbridge and whether you get in. The other stuff is just meat and drink , the pass you wave.
Life is not equal. It's unfair.

Still wouldn't be fair. In your scenario, it would all come down to the genetic lottery: the lucky few who got more raw talent would be favoured- and who is to say giving them the best education is fairer than giving Jo Bloggs an education. We don't discriminate in providing healthcare or benefits on the basis of who is more intelligent.

Just thought I'd point that out as I am a philosophy student.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending