The Student Room Group

Can I study Psychology at University?

Hi Guys,my first post on here.
I was just wondering, I am going back to college and am studying 4 A levels and expecting 4 A*'s.

The only issue is that none of these A levels are psychology,which is what I want to do.

So,the question is,will a university accept me on a psychology course if I have 4 decent A levels or do I need to do a psychology A level to study at uni.
Reply 1
Original post by mattvb
Hi Guys,my first post on here.
I was just wondering, I am going back to college and am studying 4 A levels and expecting 4 A*'s.

The only issue is that none of these A levels are psychology,which is what I want to do.

So,the question is,will a university accept me on a psychology course if I have 4 decent A levels or do I need to do a psychology A level to study at uni.

No university requires you to have A Level Psychology in order to do Psychology there. I know plenty of people who don't have it who are going to do Psychology.
Reply 2
Wow ,Thanks for the speedy response.
And as long as you are sure that's the case that's a sigh of relief for me.
But if I'm studying English/art/media and film studies would they take me in? As long as I get decent grades of course,but they aren't strictly academic subjects?(bar english).
Reply 3
If you check the admissions requirements of the universities you are interested in it will usually tell you which subjects you need to study, although I've never seen a psychology course that insists on psychology a-level. However some courses may list biology or another science as "desirable" or "highly desirable".

Posted from TSR Mobile
As above, it would be best to check the Uni requirements to see what's ideal in them accepting you for psychology.
Reply 5
What A Levels are you studying? If you're doing an essay based subject, Mathematics, and one of the Sciences, I guarentee you'll have no trouble getting into the university of your choice, regardless of whatever the 4th A Level may be
Reply 6
Hi I'm studying A Level English,Media,Art and film studies-I wanted to do biology but the college doesnt teach it-only physics,which i heard is a lot of maths and harddd.
Reply 7
Original post by mattvb
Wow ,Thanks for the speedy response.
And as long as you are sure that's the case that's a sigh of relief for me.
But if I'm studying English/art/media and film studies would they take me in? As long as I get decent grades of course,but they aren't strictly academic subjects?(bar english).

No problem. :smile:
Yep, I am sure that A Level Psychology is not required anywhere (or at least almost anywhere). However some universities will require that you have at least one science A Level (for Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and sometimes Geography). For most universities though it just means that you get a lower offer. In most cases, you can come to Psychology from any approach.

This is something that you would need to contact universities about and ask, or ask on open days. English is definitely a good subject to have if you want to do Psychology.
Reply 8
Original post by mattvb
-I wanted to do biology but the college doesnt teach it-

You can mention this in your personal statement :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
What do you mean by the personal statement-you mean when I apply for the university? Sorry I'm having one of those mornings.
Reply 10
Original post by mattvb
What do you mean by the personal statement-you mean when I apply for the university? Sorry I'm having one of those mornings.

Yeah, when you apply to university you write a personal statement, which is basically around one side of A4 that advertises what you think makes you a good candidate and persuades universities to consider you when choosing candidates to give offers to. In your personal statement you could talk about how biology interests you and what you have done to feed this interest (such as reading biology books/textbooks, work experience etc) and that you weren't able to study biology at college because it wasn't offered but you're looking forward to the biological aspects of the course blah blah blah... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're expecting 4 A*s, the you could well be looking at applying to a top uni e.g. Russell Group. If so, you should read this closely: http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf. As you can see, some courses require at least 1 science A-level, and science subjects are generally useful. I am a psychology lecturer, and I personally highly recommend maths A-level (especially stats), and also biology somewhat as useful subjects.

I think that many students underestimate the maths and science involved in a psychology degree. Nevertheless, there are several places you can study it without doing science A-levels, but then you should ask yourself "is it really the subject I want to study?". Psychology is not about wishy washy, discussing your feelings or introspecting about what makes people tick. It is a science involving a lot of experiments and statistics.

Also, art, media and film studies are soft subjects which can hamper getting into top unis (see link). If you really want to do them, I would recommend you have at least two hard subjects (English Literature is hard - English language, not always).
Reply 12
Original post by mattvb
Hi I'm studying A Level English,Media,Art and film studies-I wanted to do biology but the college doesnt teach it-only physics,which i heard is a lot of maths and harddd.

Most top universities require at least one science subject. Your application wouldn't look too impressive with Media and Film studies too.
Reply 13
I agree that I would prefer better subjects and it would be much more beneficial for me to have some stronger subjects for my A levels.
But if I do achieve the top grades for my A levels surely somewhere would take me on for a psychology course?
I just want to know if by staying on the current courses will this hinder my future in studying psychology?
I don't want to regret any decisions if I can help it.
Original post by mattvb
But if I do achieve the top grades for my A levels surely somewhere would take me on for a psychology course?

I am pretty confident that "somewhere" would take you. But do you want to just study "somewhere"?

Original post by mattvb

I just want to know if by staying on the current courses will this hinder my future in studying psychology?
I don't want to regret any decisions if I can help it.

I think your current choices would hinder you from studying in the widest range of places.
Original post by mariposaa
You can mention this in your personal statement :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's best for your referee to mention it rather than you.

OP - what experience have you got with psychology?
Reply 16
Yep I agree about my current choices-maybe change my options to English,art,physics and film studies(now includes a science).
2 strong subjects definitely seem to be more beneficial in future.
And what do you mean by my referee ^-do you mean my reference from college to my university? What would they mention rather than me?
And I have read lots of books on psychology,have a general interest in the subject and sat in conferences;as my dad works at the Tavistock Centre.
In regards to studying "somewhere",I would definitely prefer to go to a more respected uni,as I have read that sometimes a psychology degree can be referred to as a "soft" degree,unlike something like maths.
But if you study something like psychology at a top uni it apparently looks better on yourself(don't know if this is true but I do remember reading it somewhere.
Yes, your reference. Just to say that you were unable to study biology as the college don't offer it. You should focus on the positives in your PS. Definitely mention the reading in your PS
Reply 18
I think art/film studies/media A levels would probably limit your choice of university. They sound fun tho'! Even if there are no specific a level subject requirements - I think most good unis would be looking for strong academic subjects.

As you say you 'may' get in somewhere... But I suspect you would be making it extra difficult for yourself.

For example if you do get those wow grades in film, art and whatever, why would the course selectors prefer you to someone with top grades in say maths, physics and Biology or English, history and mfl? You will be in direct competition with these people.

As an earlier poster said people underestimate the psychology degree - they confuse it with counselling/therapy. It is strongly scientific and experimental. Every year people drop out at undergrad level as they misunderstood what the fundamental nature of academic psychology.

Good A levels for psychology - would be maths, (there is loads of stats), English (be able to knock off decent essays) and biology (loads on brain function/physiology).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply 19
Hi there, I am 2nd year Psych/Criminology student in a UK uni :smile: Could you guys please complete my survey for my current project? I'll do yours in return now or in the future! Psychology courses come with loads of studies in research methods modules so you can't escape these :biggrin: We're in need of many participants at the moment. Thank you!! *smile*

Also if you need any help or advice I could give you about what it is like studying psychology at Uni, just ask! x

https://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/ntupsychology/predicstress

Quick Reply

Latest