The Student Room Group

Bicep curls

Help please I can do bicep curls with my right arm 8kg weights but can only do 6kg with my left arm. How do I overcome this? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reduce both DBs to 6kg and increase the weight when you can lift heavier.

By the way how much do you weigh?
(edited 10 years ago)
Masturbate more with your left hand.
Reply 3
Original post by pinda.college
Reduce both DBs to 6kg and increased the weight when you can lift heavier.

10 stone and 6" in height. Yeh I know it's embarrassing I can't curl 8kg with my left arm but I'm really motivated to get my strength and general fitness up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Reduce both DBs to 6kg and increased the weight when you can lift heavier.

Also, how often should I be aiming to move up weights? If I go to the gym 3-4 times a week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JimmyGatz
Also, how often should I be aiming to move up weights? If I go to the gym 3-4 times a week

Posted from TSR Mobile

10 stone and 6" in height. Yeh I know it's embarrassing I can't curl 8kg with my left arm but I'm really motivated to get my strength and general fitness up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your desire is admirable. Your body will not change unless you force it to change. Your muscles will grow and get stronger if your workouts consist of weights/sets that are physically demanding, once those workouts become less demanding you may reach a plateau and stop growing. You should be progressively overloading (more resistance, reps, sets, frequency etc). Everyone is different so how long it takes for one person to increase the weight may be different to how long it takes someone else. Ideally you want to be increasing the weight once your are able to exceed your target reps with ease. Hope I helped.
Reply 6
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Masturbate more with your left hand.

Whats funny is that this will actually help..
Reply 7
What second poster said, drop the weight to what both arms can lift, in this case your right arm will be working harder than the left, do this until you can confidently lift 8kg in both hands, then the same for 10, 12.5, 15, etc.

If youre in a gym theres a lot more options to bicep training aswell, barbell curling wide grip or close grip is good, tricep dips and pushups are all good for arm training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many repetitions are you trying to do?
Reply 9
Original post by Sammydemon
How many repetitions are you trying to do?

10. Can do 10 with right arm but 4-5 with right arm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Next time you're in the gym and you think it might be a good idea to do some bicep curls grow a pair of testicles and do some chin-ups instead.

Can't do a full chin-up yet? There are lots of progressions to work up to it. Consistently increasing performance in compound exercises will do far, far more for increasing overall strength and muscle size, and removing imbalances than any amount of isolation exercises with tiny weights.

Edit: And if you're not in a gym then fair enough, but bicep curls are still effectively useless to someone at your level of strength.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Rinsed
Next time you're in the gym and you think it might be a good idea to do some bicep curls grow a pair of testicles and do some chin-ups instead.

Can't do a full chin-up yet? There are lots of progressions to work up to it. Consistently increasing performance in compound exercises will do far, far more for increasing overall strength and muscle size, and removing imbalances than any amount of isolation exercises with tiny weights.

Edit: And if you're not in a gym then fair enough, but bicep curls are still effectively useless to someone at your level of strength.

There's no bar in my gym for me to do pull-ups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What other stuff do you do at the gym besides the curls, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 13
Original post by WoodyMKC
What other stuff do you do at the gym besides the curls, if you don't mind me asking?

Dumbell shoulder press, chest press, pectorial machine and one that works shoulder muscles. Only started two weeks ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dumbell shoulder press, chest press, pectorial machine and one that works shoulder muscles. Only started two weeks ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it is still early days if you only started two weeks ago, I would set up a concrete training split and diet plan. I don't see any leg or back workouts in the excersises you have mentioned above? Deadlifts and squats, can never go wrong with those two if done correctly.
Original post by Rinsed

Strength yes, muscle size gain doesnt compare to isolated exercise on heavy weights.

Otherwise every gymnast would look like Ronnie Coleman. (minus the juice)
Reply 16
Yeah it is still early days if you only started two weeks ago, I would set up a concrete training split and diet plan. I don't see any leg or back workouts in the excersises you have mentioned above? Deadlifts and squats, can never go wrong with those two if done correctly.

Thanks for the advice man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Your desire is admirable. Your body will not change unless you force it to change. Your muscles will grow and get stronger if your workouts consist of weights/sets that are physically demanding, once those workouts become less demanding you may reach a plateau and stop growing. You should be progressively overloading (more resistance, reps, sets, frequency etc). Everyone is different so how long it takes for one person to increase the weight may be different to how long it takes someone else. Ideally you want to be increasing the weight once your are able to exceed your target reps with ease. Hope I helped.

If you can increase the reps/weights of parts of your workout but not others, should you wait until you can increase them on everything?

For example if I was ready to increase the weights of my biceps, but not my triceps, should I do so, or wait until I can also increase the weights on my triceps?

I am just scared that, using my previous example to illustrate my point, if I increased the weights on my biceps as soon as I could, my triceps would end up lagging behind. Whereas if I waited, yeah I would only be maintaining my muscle on my biceps for a while, but at least when I finally up the weights on both the tricepts and biceps the triceps won't be left behind.

Sorry if I haven't explained what I mean well.
Original post by Apocrypha
Strength yes, muscle size gain doesnt compare to isolated exercise on heavy weights.

Otherwise every gymnast would look like Ronnie Coleman. (minus the juice)

Have you seen any gymnasts? They're pretty ripped. Far more so than 99% of the population and more than any bench-and-curl jockey anywhere. Ronnie Coleman was unbelievably strong as well as big (there is a significant correlation you will find) and he didn't get that way by just doing bicep curls. Without a basic base of strength and/or steroids bicep curls are nigh on useless.
Original post by Scott.M
If you can increase the reps/weights of parts of your workout but not others, should you wait until you can increase them on everything?

For example if I was ready to increase the weights of my biceps, but not my triceps, should I do so, or wait until I can also increase the weights on my triceps?

I am just scared that, using my previous example to illustrate my point, if I increased the weights on my biceps as soon as I could, my triceps would end up lagging behind. Whereas if I waited, yeah I would only be maintaining my muscle on my biceps for a while, but at least when I finally up the weights on both the tricepts and biceps the triceps won't be left behind.

Sorry if I haven't explained what I mean well.

At your level everything is lagging. Like isolation exercises, worrying about lagging body-parts is something that should be left to advanced lifters.

Instead of worthless sets of biceps and triceps isolation exercises, do a few proper compound exercises which combined cover your entire body and where performance can be measured easily. If you can increase the number of reps or - preferably - the weight you can lift slightly each workout you will gain muscle. With what it sounds like you are doing at the moment I bet in a few months time you will look exactly the same.

Strength and muscle size are correlated, this is obvious. In fact for beginner-level lifters in the absence of steroids pretty much the only way you can increase muscle mass is by increasing strength.

Quick Reply

Latest