The Student Room Group

37 and want to be a PE teacher

I am just turned 37 and have always dreamt of being a PE teacher but previous jobs and family responsibilities have dictated. However I am now feeling like its now or never.

I have a BTEC National Diploma in Business & Finance and 5 GCSE (but D in Maths) and do Not have a degree.

I have researched so much over many years in the hope I could find a way in to teaching without having to do 4/5 years full time education doing a degree with QTS or PGSC because I cannot afford that now with my commitments.

I am very passionate about sport, I have played semi-pro football, county badminton, run (marathon), regularly cycle Sportives, ski etc etc so I feel I have diverse experience.

All and any advice will be more than appreciated.

Thank you
Original post by Steveadlem
I am just turned 37 and have always dreamt of being a PE teacher but previous jobs and family responsibilities have dictated. However I am now feeling like its now or never.

I have a BTEC National Diploma in Business & Finance and 5 GCSE (but D in Maths) and do Not have a degree.

I have researched so much over many years in the hope I could find a way in to teaching without having to do 4/5 years full time education doing a degree with QTS or PGSC because I cannot afford that now with my commitments.

I am very passionate about sport, I have played semi-pro football, county badminton, run (marathon), regularly cycle Sportives, ski etc etc so I feel I have diverse experience.

Thank you

If you cant study full time- it might be worth studying part time. You can do night courses at most local colleges, and you can do degrees through the open university and also part time at some unis. So this might be worth looking into if you cant commit to studying full time with work/family commitments.
Reply 2
Original post by Steveadlem

Thank you

Teaching is a graduate career and therefore you need a degree to do it. You could look into becoming a coach instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending