The Student Room Group

Should i risk applying to 5 Russell group universities with only ABB (final grades)

I want to apply for Ancient History and the 5 universities i am considering applying to are all quite competitive.

I got BBCC for AS and ABB for A2 (Classical Civilization, History and English Literature).

My GCSEs were quite average (although i was very pleased with them at the time) - AAABBBBCCC

Ancient History is not offered at many universities and the majority of universities that it is offered at are all quite competitive to get into (or so i have heard).

I was thinking of applying to:
Exeter - AAA-ABB
Birmingham - ABB
Liverpool - ABB
Manchester - ABB-BBB
Newcastle - AAB-ABB
Cardiff - ABB - BBB
(trying to decide between Cardiff and Newcastle as my 5th option)

Do you think i have a chance at any of these places? Especially Exeter as that would probably be my first choice but they have confusing requirements as AAA-ABB is a 2 grade gap :s-smilie:

I know people get annoyed when some people on TSR ask these type of questions, but i am already on a gap year so do not want to apply and be rejected by all 5. I would appreciate any help or advice. Thank you :redface:
Reply 1
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~
I want to apply for Ancient History and the 5 universities i am considering applying to are all quite competitive.

I got BBCC for AS and ABB for A2 (Classical Civilization, History and English Literature).

My GCSEs were quite average (although i was very pleased with them at the time) - AAABBBBCCC

Ancient History is not offered at many universities and the majority of universities that it is offered at are all quite competitive to get into (or so i have heard).

Exeter - AAA-ABB
Birmingham - ABB
Liverpool - ABB
Manchester - ABB-BBB
Newcastle - AAB-ABB
Cardiff - ABB - BBB

Do you think i have a chance at any of these places? Especially Exeter as that would probably be my first choice but they have confusing requirements as AAA-ABB is a 2 grade gap :s-smilie:

I know people get annoyed when some people on TSR ask these type of questions, but i am already on a gap year so do not want to apply and be rejected by all 5. I would appreciate any help or advice. Thank you :redface:

Most of the universities you're applying to want ABB, you got ABB. Therefore, you'll be fine! Exeter may reject you though.
Reply 2
Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~

Exeter - AAA-ABB
Birmingham - ABB
Liverpool - ABB
Manchester - ABB-BBB
Newcastle - AAB-ABB
Cardiff - ABB - BBB

You're only risking it with Exeter so it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where universities give a range of offers, the lower offers are usually contextual offers- this means they're based on a candidate coming from a disadvantaged background or having extenuating circumstances. When you've already got your grades, you're expected to meet/exceed the standard offer. However, if you do, you're fairly likely to get an offer.

Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and Cardiff are all safe applications, so one that's a bit more risky to Newcastle or Exeter is fine.
ah ok then, thank you :redface:
Reply 5
That's fine, especially as Cardiff is sorta out of fashion within the RG at the moment. And I say this as someone also applying there rather than to cast negative light on it.

You have an advantage applying with your grades in hand, too, plus one thing that put me off of adding more safe, non-RG choices is that they were all consistently in clearing for my course anyway. May be something to consider, although obviously clearing isn't something you'd prefer to go through.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending