The Student Room Group

picking a course :(

ok so i've been to look at 4 universities so far, and there's another on the 5th october. so far i've been looking at history and sociology courses, but recently i've been having second thoughts about history and sociology, and i've been thinking that i would much rather study english language, which is something i love and is my strongest subject. none of the universities i've looked at offer english language, apart from one i didn't like so much, and the one i'm going to on the 5th does not offer it either. but then when looking at the courses i've looked at again, i realise i would enjoy them, i just dont have the same passion for history that i have for english. the problem is that i do not want to apply to a university without looking round it first, but there is not enough time to look round 5 more (plus i can't have any more time off work). does anyone have any advice?
What you could do is apply for English anyway and once you have offers, then go to see the ones you are thinking of for Firm/Insurance. There will be Open Days in Feb/March for exactly this purpose.

And there are lots of videos etc on You Tube of Uni Open Days, interviews with students about specific courses at each Uni etc etc, that would give you an idea of what each is like and the sort of things students are saying about Depts/courses.
thank you that's really helpful :smile: there are a couple which i am going to do a campus tour on with a friend, and then read up on the course to see if its for me, so I will definitely look out for info about it on YouTube. I do have time, because i am deferring entry and taking a gap year, so i have time, i'm just reluctant to apply to a university that i haven't visited.
Original post by lollipopsunshine
thank you that's really helpful :smile: there are a couple which i am going to do a campus tour on with a friend, and then read up on the course to see if its for me, so I will definitely look out for info about it on YouTube. I do have time, because i am deferring entry and taking a gap year, so i have time, i'm just reluctant to apply to a university that i haven't visited.

I second the advice about looking up the uni on YouTube. But if you're unfamiliar with the city, looking up videos on the city life can help too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest