The Student Room Group

Difference between MA and BSc?

Could someone please clear up the difference between a masters and a bachelors degree please? Is one better than the other? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by nul
Could someone please clear up the difference between a masters and a bachelors degree please? Is one better than the other? Thanks!

Masters is a qualification you do at university for 1 year after completing your Bachelors. (You probably need a certain score to get in)

Masters are generally for doing extra research around your subject. I guess masters is better...... but its 1 extra year and for some courses, you do not need such qualification to enter your job market. A lot of the times, the Bachelors is more than enough to obtain the job.
Firstly, an MA is a masters of arts and a BSc is a bachelor of science. Science and arts degrees tend to be quite different too!

A masters is a one year qualification taken after you finish a batchelor's degree, usually studying one area of your degree subject in more depth. Masters can be taught or research based. Someone with a masters is generally more qualified than someone with a bachelors, although someone with a BSc may be more suited to certain jobs than someone with an MA.
Reply 3
nul
OP
Okay thanks! So when applying for courses should I apply for a range of MA and BSc (for example apply for both on the same course at one university) or just stick to one degree level?
Reply 4
Original post by nul
Okay thanks! So when applying for courses should I apply for a range of MA and BSc (for example apply for both on the same course at one university) or just stick to one degree level?

Are you thinking about Scottish MAs because that's a completely different story?
Reply 5
nul
OP
Yes, I am, what's the difference?
In Scotland, some universities (typically the Ancient universities) award arts graduates with an M.A.(Hons) rather than a B.A.(Hons). The reasons are largely historical but it's stuck and not likely to change.

An M.A.(Hons) is typically a course which has a significant qualitative component, e.g., philosophy, whereas a B.Sc.(Hons) is typically a course which has a significant quantitative component, e.g., mathematics. It is worth noting that some degrees allow enough flexibility to the point where you could be on track to receive an M.A.(Hons) instead of a B.Sc.(Hons) and vice versa. Examples of this include psychology, economics, and management.*

*Note, not all universities offer this level of flexibility and some do not offer M.A.(Hons) at all.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nul
Yes, I am, what's the difference?

The M.A. awarded by the Scottish ancient universities (and Oxford and Cambridge) is academically equivalent to the B.A. or B.Sc. awarded elsewhere. Oxford graduates use the designation M.A. (Oxon) to indicate this, while Cambridge graduates use M.A. (Cantab).

Other universities offer an M.A. which requires you to already hold a bachelor's degree; The Oxbridge equivalent of this is the M.Phil.

You can also study an undergraduate master's degree in some subjects (e.g. MPhys, MEng) which is taken as a four year first degree but is equivalent to a normal M.A or an Oxbridge M.Phil.
Yes, confusingly there are undergraduate MAs and postgraduate MAs - do not confuse the two, they are certainly not the same and you should not see a 4 year MA as a sneaky way of getting a postgrad Masters degree - it isnt.

4 year MAs are undergrad degrees. 1 year MAs are postgrad.
Original post by returnmigrant
Yes, confusingly there are undergraduate MAs and postgraduate MAs - do not confuse the two, they are certainly not the same and you should not see a 4 year MA as a sneaky way of getting a postgrad Masters degree - it isnt.

4 year MAs are undergrad degrees. 1 year MAs are postgrad.

Nevertheless, academically they are entirely equivalent as I said in my previous post. The next step after each would be a doctorate.
Original post by Good bloke
Nevertheless, academically they are entirely equivalent as I said in my previous post. The next step after each would be a doctorate.

Within Arts and Humanities or Social Science an Undergrad MA is NOT 'equivalent' - you would be expected to do a taught postgrad Masters before applying to do a doctorate., and certainly to be in contention for Research Council funding.

Yes, it is different for Science/Tech subjects but you are usually still expected to do a combined MRes/PhD program or similar - not go straight to a doctorate from undergrad study.
Within Arts and Humanities or Social Science an Undergrad MA is NOT 'equivalent' - you would be expected to do a taught postgrad Masters before applying to do a doctorate., and certainly to be in contention for Research Council funding.

Yes, it is different for Science/Tech subjects but you are usually still expected to do a combined MRes/PhD program or similar - not go straight to a doctorate from undergrad study.

I think he meant 'equivalent to a B.A.(Hons)' rather than to a postgraduate M.A.

Are there any undergraduate MAs in the social sciences?

Yes, it is different for Science/Tech subjects but you are usually still expected to do a combined MRes/PhD program or similar - not go straight to a doctorate from undergrad study

An undergraduate masters is perfectly acceptable for entry to a doctorate in the sciences. Here is an Oxford example: http://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/postgraduates/astrophysics/selection-criteria
FWIW I've known a number of people who've gone directly from a BSc to a PhD - depends entirely on the subject, the research council where relevant (it's more common among my friends who've self funded a PhD part time alongside work) and the relevance/match between the UG dissertation and the proposed PhD area.

In social sciences there are a few UG enhanced masters - MEcon is the most common but there are a few MGeogs and MPols around. The current funding regime incentivises universities to offer extended UG degrees so I wouldn't be surprised if they became more common - especially as the RC and HEFCE support for PGT courses is progressively slashed in arts/soc sci/humanities - it makes extended study more affordable for students as well as more lucrative for universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending