The Student Room Group

Canadian university application thread 2013 (UofT, UBC, McGill and all the rest)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edgomberg
I cannot decide which school to chose now, I am aiming for BCom, major in management.

Got accepted into Western, Ivey business school but do not think people outside canada ever heard of Ivey and recognise it despite it being top business school in Canada.

Offer from UBC Sauder business school, but people say Sauder isn't as good as Ivey or Queens. I like the Uni overall though, nice campus and a lot of opportunities + its in Vancouver.

Offer from Rotman UofT and I am still waiting for Queen's and Schulich to reply..
I also hold 5 offers for UK top business schools: Bath, Warwick, City, Loughborough, Exeter.

Can you please give advice or what would you go with ?:smile:

First of all, congratulations on your offers!

I can't give you much information on UK universities, since I'm not an expert on them, but I would suggest asking in another forum regarding those universities.

If your plan is to go back to the UK or Europe, then I would suggest going to UBC or U of T. Both school are great in terms of overall reputation, but I would lean towards U of T Rotman, since its business program is also one of the best in Canada, on top of its world recognition.

If you are planning on going to Asia, then I would suggest UBC as the best option, since it is well-known in Asia. U of T would also be a great choice. You can't go wrong with both choices. Schulich would be a good backup, as well as Ivey in this case (note that Ivey does have a business school in Hong Kong if you are seeking for opportunities overseas).

If you are going to stay in Canada, then you can't go wrong with any one of them. I would lean more towards Ivey or Queen's Commerce in this case, followed by U of T Rotman and Schulich. As for UBC, I would place them in third place.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 81
Could someone tell me whether Canadian universities have a January intake? And when do these applications open?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Hello, I am slightly confused about their process of acceptance. I have contacted all 3 of the universities who have given me offers and they have said that once you accept the offer on OUAC, all the other offers dissolve however there is no 'safety/insurance' option on the OUAC so what happens if I do not get the grades to fulfill my offer?
Reply 83
Original post by maxe123456
Hello, I am slightly confused about their process of acceptance. I have contacted all 3 of the universities who have given me offers and they have said that once you accept the offer on OUAC, all the other offers dissolve however there is no 'safety/insurance' option on the OUAC so what happens if I do not get the grades to fulfill my offer?

What universities were you accepted to? What are your grades? Normally their conditional offers are very easy to achieve so you don't have to worry about that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by MAyman12
What universities were you accepted to? What are your grades? Normally there conditional offers are very easy to achieve so you don't have to worry about that.

My first choice would be UBC who want A*AA and although I'm working towards getting those grades, the A* might be a step too high
Reply 85
Original post by maxe123456
My first choice would be UBC who want A*AA and although I'm working towards getting those grades, the A* might be a step too high

Thats quite high, what course? is it sauder?
Reply 86
Original post by ukmed108
Thats quite high, what course? is it sauder?

Yeah that is very high my conditions were BBB for maths and physics.
Reply 87
Hi, so I really want to apply to the University of Toronto and I was wondering if someone whose done it before could answer a few of my questions please
I may just be being stupid but I can't seem to find the answers to my questions online... I want to do economics and I'm from England.
1. It says I have to have GCSE/IGCSE/ASLevel/A2Level English.. Does that mean all of them, or will an IGCSE be enough? I'm probably being stupid but is that saying I have to have an A level in English as well?
2. With that being said, is an A at IGCSE English realistically good enough?
3. Will my GCSE grades be realistically good enough? I got 3 A*s, 6 A's and 2 B's all in "Core Subjects"
4. Do they interview?
5. How much does it all cost? And will anyone help me finance it (UK or Canada)
6. Will anything be taught in French?
7. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics for A level. Will Further Maths be looked at negatively?
8. If you have done something similar, would you recommend it?

Sorry for such a long list of questions: any answers you have, even if you cant answer all of them, would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks so much in advance xx
Reply 88
Wow alright. So for admissions they look at both igcse's and A1's amd predicted grades for A2 (cause r results wont be released before Aug/Sept).

UofT is the most expensive university in Canada. However the real expense is the housing smd cost of living in Toronto downtown. Average costs per annum come to 30-40k CAD.

French? Wtf? C'mon Canada is an english speaking country primarily. Only Quebec is a french state. However Mcgill teaches everything in english as well.

For Economics. Your top universites by ranking/rating are: UBC, UofT, McGill, UWO/Queens. UWO special mention HBA program + Econ (thats an intense boss like program).

I'd rather go to UBC or McGill first and pick Toronto as my third option. And most of my close friends studied at these universities mentioned.

For Loans you'd have to get that info in the UK. Canada wouldnt provide you with squat (however i am not 100% sure on this).

If your from the UK, i'd suggest you stay in the UK. Cause its tentatively cheaper than paying International Tuition in Canada unless you're a PR or dual citizen. In which case go to UBC it has the best Econ dept in the Country and is a very highly ranked and top rated dept in North America and the world (sources: check every Econ ranking out there and you'll see)

Lastly for admission grades. Your course selections is perfect. However please note they will give you admission based on your AS's + Predicted A2. They look at IGCSE's only tentatively and of course for the stupid english grade.

Id suggest all your A-level grades on the higher side of the B or A's. For strong, quick and positive admits. McGill is the only uni that would require mostly A's for an admit. UBC and Tdot would admit on a mix of A's and Higher B's.

P.S you're applying very late for 2014 in take. McGill apps are all done. Even UBC and Tdot i think may have passed. But you can still check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by 3LZ3r0
Wow alright. So for admissions they look at both igcse's and A1's amd predicted grades for A2 (cause r results wont be released before Aug/Sept).

UofT is the most expensive university in Canada. However the real expense is the housing smd cost of living in Toronto downtown. Average costs per annum come to 30-40k CAD.

French? Wtf? C'mon Canada is an english speaking country primarily. Only Quebec is a french state. However Mcgill teaches everything in english as well.

For Economics. Your top universites by ranking/rating are: UBC, UofT, McGill, UWO/Queens. UWO special mention HBA program + Econ (thats an intense boss like program).

I'd rather go to UBC or McGill first and pick Toronto as my third option. And most of my close friends studied at these universities mentioned.

For Loans you'd have to get that info in the UK. Canada wouldnt provide you with squat (however i am not 100% sure on this).

If your from the UK, i'd suggest you stay in the UK. Cause its tentatively cheaper than paying International Tuition in Canada unless you're a PR or dual citizen. In which case go to UBC it has the best Econ dept in the Country and is a very highly ranked and top rated dept in North America and the world (sources: check every Econ ranking out there and you'll see)

Lastly for admission grades. Your course selections is perfect. However please note they will give you admission based on your AS's + Predicted A2. They look at IGCSE's only tentatively and of course for the stupid english grade.

Id suggest all your A-level grades on the higher side of the B or A's. For strong, quick and positive admits. McGill is the only uni that would require mostly A's for an admit. UBC and Tdot would admit on a mix of A's and Higher B's.

P.S you're applying very late for 2014 in take. McGill apps are all done. Even UBC and Tdot i think may have passed. But you can still check.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you sooooo much for the reply :smile: Don't worry, I'm looking at 2015 entry :P
Reply 90
I forgot to add...if you're interested in economics without carrying a tuition loan for the rest of your life, i'd very much suggest to look towards the netherlands. The cost of the programs there for european students are the most subsidized in the world. At 1850 Euro/ year. And the strength of the undergrad program compared to Canada and the UK is on Par if not better. And i compared the course selections from Canadian universities with the Dutch programs offered and picked going towards the netherlands for an econometrics and op research degree than going to Canada this fall.

P.s. i got into ubc, tdot, queens and UWO. But trust me going to the netherlands for undergrad will probably be the best decision ive made ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
hi
i have been admitted to UofT and UBC, i plan on studying economics which university is better for this?
Reply 92
UBC Econ department is better. However you have to do really well in first year to properly be admitted to the Economics department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Hello, I have been admitted to both UBC and UofT for Life Science/BSc. I have to make my decision tonight but am still unsure. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 94
Both ubc and uoft have top notch life sci departments. However uoft is closer to more pharma and biotech firms plus montreal is nearby where more life sci firms are locates.

Go to UofT St. george.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody know anything about U of T Scarborough campus?
i got offers from UTSC for social sciences and UBC management
can't decide now :frown:
Reply 96
If u got UoT-SC for management then go to UBC Sauder.

If you got Rotman at the main UoT campus then stay there...

Rotman (main campus) > UBC Sauder > Rotman (SC & MC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 3LZ3r0
If u got UoT-SC for management then go to UBC Sauder.

If you got Rotman at the main UoT campus then stay there...

Rotman (main campus) > UBC Sauder > Rotman (SC & MC)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really. Speaking as a Canadian admitted to all these schools, the top Canadian buisness schools play out somthing like this for undergrad:

1. Queen's (could easily be switched with Ivey)
2. Ivey at Western (could easily be switched with Queen's)
*York Schluich appears here for accounting only

GAP

3. UBC Sauder
4. McGill
5. UT Rotman
6. York

Gap

7. SFU Beedie

Gap

The rest

Many internationals make the mistake of thinking the "Big Three" of UT, McGill and UBC are the best for everything. This is generally true; the exception is first business, than engineering at schools like Waterloo, petroleum engineering at U of Alberta and Calgary (think oil sands). I would generally classify UT and McGill as being overrated, particularly for the arts and humanities.
I got offers to UofT Rotman, UBC Sauder, Western Ivey and Queens Commerce..

I have talked to people and Western Ivey is hands down for business in Canada considering both exceptionally strong academics and insane party lifestyle at Western !

So Ivey here I come))
Original post by CanuckKid
Not really. Speaking as a Canadian admitted to all these schools, the top Canadian buisness schools play out somthing like this for undergrad:

1. Queen's (could easily be switched with Ivey)
2. Ivey at Western (could easily be switched with Queen's)
*York Schluich appears here for accounting only

GAP

3. UBC Sauder
4. McGill
5. UT Rotman
6. York

Gap

7. SFU Beedie

Gap

The rest

Many internationals make the mistake of thinking the "Big Three" of UT, McGill and UBC are the best for everything. This is generally true; the exception is first business, than engineering at schools like Waterloo, petroleum engineering at U of Alberta and Calgary (think oil sands). I would generally classify UT and McGill as being overrated, particularly for the arts and humanities.

thanks for your reply :smile:

i chosed UBC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending