The Student Room Group

Canadian university application thread 2013 (UofT, UBC, McGill and all the rest)

Thought I'd make a general thread for all international applicants applying to canadian universities this year and just let each other know how everyone is doing. Introduce yourselves, let us know what you want to study and where, and hopefully this turn out to be a helpful thread for all.

I am applying for Computer Science.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied for 2014 September entry - Political Science (at York, Brock, U of Alberta, U of Manitoba, UNBC, UBC and SFU) :smile:
Reply 2
I am planning to apply to U of T for Management co-op at Scarborough and BCom (concentration in management) at Rotman ( But I don't know the difference between them!!!!)
2 Choice is UBC Sauder BCom
3 Queens Schulic school of business
4 McGill BCom ( management)
Predicted A*AA at a Level for Math Business and ICT,
I don't know what to expect from admissions though )
Original post by Edgomberg
I am planning to apply to U of T for Management co-op at Scarborough and BCom (concentration in management) at Rotman ( But I don't know the difference between them!!!!)
2 Choice is UBC Sauder BCom
3 Queens Schulic school of business
4 McGill BCom ( management)
Predicted A*AA at a Level for Math Business and ICT,
I don't know what to expect from admissions though )

I would suggest not going to mcgill if you get admitted into their business program. all of its other programs are excellent and its generally much harder to get into than U of T, but its a well known fact in Canada that that a McGill Bcom isn't that great unless you work in Montreal afterwards. You see, not much funding is put in to the program and it wouldn't get you as far as Queens, UBC, or U of T's Rotman program. (Out of all of these, however, Rotman is superior).

Also the difference between management co-op at Scarborough and Rotman is simple. The former is offered in the suburbs and not in the downtown core of Toronto (which Rotman is). Also, Rotman is seen as more prestigious here and most likely around the world.

So my advice to you is try to get into Rotman if you're really looking for a degree that will be internationally recognized. Queens and the other choices are also fine. But steer clear of McGill, unless you're set on living in Montreal
Reply 4
Thank you for your opinion, I will take into account !

What do you guys think of York Schulich school of business BBA ? Statistic shows that teaching quality at undergrad is lower that Queens, Ivey and UBC . Student satisfaction and overall experience is also worse than over universities. So I cleared it out from my uni choices.

Is there a second tier Canadian business school which is much easier to enter but the undergrad quality is still good? How about (Ottawa uni?)
I would rather have one backup where I can have at least little scholarship...

Thanks in advance !
i'd suggest ryerson if you really don't mind a second tier school. it's still in toronto and has a good location, near all the firms. or waterloo or ottawa cause i believe they have co-op
Reply 6
Guys, does anyone have any idea about student loans? As someone from the UK I can't get loans from here to study abroad, but is there any provision over in Canada?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thank you for your opinion, I will take into account !

What do you guys think of York Schulich school of business BBA ? Statistic shows that teaching quality at undergrad is lower that Queens, Ivey and UBC . Student satisfaction and overall experience is also worse than over universities. So I cleared it out from my uni choices.

Is there a second tier Canadian business school which is much easier to enter but the undergrad quality is still good? How about (Ottawa uni?)
I would rather have one backup where I can have at least little scholarship...

Thanks in advance !

Schulich is quite good. Queen's and Ivey are the best. UofT isn't as good as you think. Its a 2nd tier on the same level as Schulich.
Reply 8
What do you guys think of Western university as a business school.
There is no doubt that Ivey business school is brat but it's only 2 final years.
How about the first two years program MOS ( management and organisation..)

Is it really valuable? I just think first two year might be not as worthy as final 2 and would upset me..
Reply 9
What do you guys think of Western university as a business school.
There is no doubt that Ivey business school is brat but it's only 2 final years.
How about the first two years program MOS ( management and organisation..)

Is it really valuable? I just think first two year might be not as worthy as final 2 and would upset me..

Its not nearly as worthy. The BMOS is widely considered useless and really easy. Its probably better to do your first 2 years in something you want to study for fun.

Some people study Biomed, Economics, MIT. Its completely up to you, you can even do history. No matter what you do as long as you maintain an 80 average you will get into the Ivey Business School.
I have applied for September 2014 intake at the following universities:
1. UofT for Physical and Mathematical Sciences
2. Waterloo for Honours Science
3. Queens for Science
4. UofT for Electrical Engineering
5. Mcmaster for Medical physics co-op
Any insight on any of the programmes mentioned above?
Also how do you send them your GCE results? I am on my gap year and have all the original certificates and i am confused as to what should i send to the uni...photocopies by myself or through my school? or contact each exam board and have them send my results?
i did maths, further maths, physics and chemistry and achieved A,B,B,C respectively
Hi, I might be applying.
Reply 12
Original post by n00bfi
Hi, I might be applying.

Where you thinking of applying to? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by prateek1193
I have applied for September 2014 intake at the following universities:
1. UofT for Physical and Mathematical Sciences
2. Waterloo for Honours Science
3. Queens for Science
4. UofT for Electrical Engineering
5. Mcmaster for Medical physics co-op
Any insight on any of the programmes mentioned above?
Also how do you send them your GCE results? I am on my gap year and have all the original certificates and i am confused as to what should i send to the uni...photocopies by myself or through my school? or contact each exam board and have them send my results?
i did maths, further maths, physics and chemistry and achieved A,B,B,C respectively

Contact the exam boards to send your certificates (originals, not copies) to the universities. I'm in Scotland, unfortunately, and I had to ask for our exam board to apply their "replacement certificate service" to me applying for Canadian universities. Most universities require that an original certificate be sent from the exam board or your school (if your school issues certificates i.e. internally graded examinations.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by dylanfar
Where you thinking of applying to? :smile:

UofT, McMaster, McGill, Western and Waterloo for Engineering, though I'm at a complete loss as to where to start...
Reply 15
Original post by n00bfi
UofT, McMaster, McGill, Western and Waterloo for Engineering, though I'm at a complete loss as to where to start...

I've already applied to my choices, although I may be adding another university to the mix soon. I'll give you a hand tomorrow with how to go about applying and getting exam results to the universities etc. :smile:

Good uni choices btw
Reply 16
I'm in my second year at McGill in the Joint Honours Econ/Math program. If you guys have any questions, let me know.
Reply 17
Original post by Zilch
I'm in my second year at McGill in the Joint Honours Econ/Math program. If you guys have any questions, let me know.

Hey, do you think McGill focuses and invests a lot in its business/econ department?
Reply 18
Hey, do you think McGill focuses and invests a lot in its business/econ department?

That's quite a vague question. I mean, they pretty much invest in it just as much as any other good Canadian school.

Business in general though is not one of mcgill's strengths. They have a decent reputation but you'd probably do better by going to a place like UoT or Western if it's for business.

The Honours Econ Program though in general is top notch and probably the best in Canada to prepare you for graduate school.
Thanks dylanfar, I read somewhere on this forum that someone sent the copies of the certificates along with a letter from their head of sixth form stating the authenticity of the copies..will that work? I'm not sure what you mean by internal examinations?
Getting all the boards to post to all the Canadian unis would leave a big hole in my wallet...so I'm trying to avoid that.
Anyone already sent their documents?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending