The Student Room Group

How do you buy a second hand car?

What is the process of buying a second hand car? I want to meet the seller at his home address, what things should I be made aware of? I will do a vehicle check online before i actually purchase the car...

Also how is payment to be made cash or bank transfer - what is safer? If the seller does not send the V5 logbook off what will happen?

Are there any scams I need to be made aware of - I mean the seller is somalian and he is 19 years old!

Any help appreciated, thanks
Reply 1
Always make sure you get some kind of thing with you both signed it saying he told it. And also cash is easier, bank transfers can take a long while sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
U need few things

*take a person with u who knows alot bout cars
*and u need luck
Reply 3
Original post by efn
What is the process of buying a second hand car? I want to meet the seller at his home address, what things should I be made aware of? I will do a vehicle check online before i actually purchase the car...

Read a buyers gudie on the specific areas to look at for the model in question you intend on purchasing. i.e a Mercedes will likely have rusty front wheel arches but there's no need to check a land rovers front arches for rust as the panel is made of ally.

Original post by efn
Also how is payment to be made cash or bank transfer

That's between you and the seller.

Original post by efn
- what is safer?

Once you've got the keys in your hand that's the end of it isn't it. Providing it's not nicked... but your check will work that one out.

Original post by efn
If the seller does not send the V5 logbook off what will happen?

You wont get a logbook. after 10 weeks you can send the new keepers slip to the dvla with a V62 form and they will issue a new logbook. Providing you have the green slip it wont cost you anything.

Original post by efn
Are there any scams I need to be made aware of - I mean the seller is somalian and he is 19 years old!

Plenty. Just keep it simple like you would buying anything else. If you decide to do a deal hand over a small deposit - £200 is enough to secure a car of any value - and go get your insurance etc sorted out and complete the deal another day.
Reply 4
Original post by efn

Also how is payment to be made cash or bank transfer - what is safer? If the seller does not send the V5 logbook off what will happen?

Any help appreciated, thanks

What are you getting at?
Reply 5
Yeah, for me the process is a bit like this.

- Select car online, and do some googling about know issues, things to look out for, guide price, etc.
- Take out enough cash to make a suitable offer, separate 20% of that, and both parts mildly hidden in your car. You can then play the 'only have x on me' or 'I dont have cash on me' card.
- View the car, getting a picture of what you think the condition is as it stands, and from any of the history that exists. Oil colour, panel gaps, resprayed paint, other obvious tell tails.
- Make a view on the current owner, assuming he's had it a year or more, in terms of its likely to have been serviced this decade and if he's punting a lemon.
- Go for a test drive if you can, start a bit gentle to get a feel of it and to reassure the seller assuming he is with you, but also throw it about a bit, and get it up to 70 if roads allow.
- Then you need to talk money, you can do this how you like, but as my dad always says 'if you can get x hundred off, its the easy money you will make all year' don't be shy.
- After that, if it goes well you hand over the cash and drive off, taking with you the little green slip and a side of paper that the seller has written 'I xx have sold xx for xxx' on.
- If it goes badly, or your not sure, or you need time to thing about it, and your not to fussed if the car goes elsewhere, leave it open and arrange a second viewing.

I take a decent led handlamp with me, and a fridge magnet, and wear clothes with are smartish but that I can lie down in.
If your viewing the dark (yeah yeah, ok) take a incandescent light/torch with you as well to gauge and resprayed areas.

Daniel
Reply 6
Original post by Icycandle
What are you getting at?

Presumably, rightly or wrongly, and assumption that they are all pirates.
Reply 7
Original post by dhutch
Presumably, rightly or wrongly, and assumption that they are all pirates.

lool she's buying a car not a ship:rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by Icycandle
What are you getting at?

That he's a Somalian pirate...
I mis-read this while scrolling through TSR and thought you wanted a second hand cat...
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I mis-read this while scrolling through TSR and thought you wanted a second hand cat...

Bool story cro.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Bool story cro.

Stool bory cro
Check the general things- Walk around the car, check it has no abnormal dents or hints that' it's been in a crash. Check for rust and any signs of respraying (Could indicate it's been in a crash and a part has been replaced and resprayed).

Check under the bonnet- things like leaks and bits hanging off. Check the car starts up ok, idles ok and rev it a few times. Maybe check the oil and other things.

Check inside that the seat belts are all intact and work. Check they clip and unclip OK. Check the seat adjusts and headrest adjusts. Check under the mats if they have any, look for rips or leaks.

It's just common sense really, if it looks dodgy it probably is. Always worth taking someone who knows a bit about cars. My Dad helped me and we came away from looking at one car and I thought it was fine, and he told me it had been in a crash and lots of bits had been replaced!

Generally cash is better because you can hand it over there and then without the fear that there may be timing differences.
Reply 13
Original post by Runninground
Check the general things- Walk around the car, check it has no abnormal dents or hints that' it's been in a crash. Check for rust and any signs of respraying (Could indicate it's been in a crash and a part has been replaced and resprayed).

Check under the bonnet- things like leaks and bits hanging off. Check the car starts up ok, idles ok and rev it a few times. Maybe check the oil and other things.

Check inside that the seat belts are all intact and work. Check they clip and unclip OK. Check the seat adjusts and headrest adjusts. Check under the mats if they have any, look for rips or leaks.

It's just common sense really, if it looks dodgy it probably is. Always worth taking someone who knows a bit about cars. My Dad helped me and we came away from looking at one car and I thought it was fine, and he told me it had been in a crash and lots of bits had been replaced!

Generally cash is better because you can hand it over there and then without the fear that there may be timing differences.

After you hand the cash if the seller denies to give you the logbook because he wants to send it himself what do you do?
Reply 14
Original post by efn
After you hand the cash if the seller denies to give you the logbook because he wants to send it himself what do you do?

The sender has to send the log book off not the buyer, you get a little part from it however

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Yes, bar in one case, where the seller gave me the lot to do. I sent it off exactly as he should have done, but this should be done by the seller, with you just retaining the small slip till the new ones comes, based on the address you write on the form before its returned.

With the small slip you can get you tax disk etc, if you need to. I was once denied number plates for only have the small slip, but that was the garage being at error, I order a new set of ebay.

Daniel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending