The Student Room Group

best way to get an A/A* at gcse maths?

im retaking my gcse maths this Nov and although ive started revision, i still need some tips.should i do and redo all the past papers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Secretnerd123
im retaking my gcse maths this Nov and although ive started revision, i still need some tips.should i do and redo all the past papers?

Practice. Firstly go through all the concepts in your syllabus, make sure you understand them - work through the textbook perhaps as a guide to make sure you are. Then do all the past papers, if possible a couple of times. Keep revisiting weak areas and doing questions you are getting wrong till you're getting them right
Original post by alygirl
Practice. Firstly go through all the concepts in your syllabus, make sure you understand them - work through the textbook perhaps as a guide to make sure you are. Then do all the past papers, if possible a couple of times. Keep revisiting weak areas and doing questions you are getting wrong till you're getting them right

Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Once you think you've learnt enough, do as many practice papers as you can, in exam conditions! The more you do them, the more natural it will feel when you come to do the actual exams and it should feel like routine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody know if we have to know the quadratic formula by heart?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you don't.. It will be quoted in the maths paper..
Original post by promeereza
No you don't.. It will be quoted in the maths paper..

Thanks! How far into your revision are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I have just started doing past papers...I really just want to get my A. Maths is a killer
Reply 8
May I know which exam board you are doing?
Original post by MissMyDawgs
May I know which exam board you are doing?

Edexcel :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by promeereza
I have just started doing past papers...I really just want to get my A. Maths is a killer

Same. I want to start doing past papers 2 weeks before so its all in my head. Want to just keep repeating them until im fully comfident. Have you covered everything on the syllabus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

If you want to remember it anyway, this song really get's stuck in your head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_7lNT9oDzI

Listed to it 2 years ago. Haven't forgotten the formula since.

Oh great I did the same last year so I still have plenty of resources, If you need help with anything specifically just private message me
How are you revising for the November exam. Just under 5 weeks and desperately aiming for an A*!

:-)
Original post by GoldGhost
How are you revising for the November exam. Just under 5 weeks and desperately aiming for an A*!

have you covered everything ??
have you covered everything ??

Just about to start revision, got 65% last practise paper, so a low A, can I scrape a low a* overall in 5 weeks. In late October I have 9 days off btw

Just about to start revision, got 65% last practise paper, so a low A, can I scrape a low a* overall in 5 weeks. In late October I have 9 days off btw

You havent started revision yet you're doing so well in practise papers? Lucky you :smile: ive started but theres some topics that i need to brush up on. I hate Algebra and trigonometry so much! hopefully ill start doing past papers soon.

good luck! Hope we both get good grades :biggrin:
You havent started revision yet you're doing so well in practise papers? Lucky you :smile: ive started but theres some topics that i need to brush up on. I hate Algebra and trigonometry so much! hopefully ill start doing past papers soon.

I need a miracle to get an A* in the exams in 5 weeks time!

Also good luck in your exam!

Also good luck in your exam!

Thank you! I heard linear have lower grade boundaries than modular

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending