The Student Room Group

An atypical application - any advice?

Hi there,
I'm applying for entry in 2014 and I'm pretty much going it alone and I'd be really grateful for some advice. I'm 20 now, going to be 21 by next September so I believe this makes me a mature student? (Although I don't feel very mature! :biggrin:)

I started A levels at 16 but dropped at in Christmas of the first year as I developed severe depression. Spent a number of months in hospital with very low functioning and so couldn't continue the year. Tried again next year to no avail; again I had to leave due to my mental health problems. Fast forward two years, I've had a stable job that I excel in and my mental health is greatly improving. I started A levels for the third time in September 2012 but I study at home, seeing a tutor for each subject for an hour once a week and go to work 20 hours per week as well. I wasn't expecting much for my exam results but achieved AAC in English, History and Maths respectively including full marks (120/120) in the English exam.

Now I'm filling in my UCAS application and it asks about declaring disabilities. Although I am much better now, I do still have some difficulties with concentration, low mood and social interactions and that did affect my maths grades (panic attack in first maths exam sigh). The trouble is, I feel very uncomfortable talking about what has happened to me and my needs and embarassed about asking for help - I had to be cajoled into accepting additional time for my exams last year.

Is it worth declaring on my personal statement? Should I ask my tutor (who is writing my reference) to mention it? I want to retake this summer, should I talk about that? I'm feeling very alone at the moment around this and none of my tutors are experienced in university applications. Any help would be very appreciated!

Apologies if this in the wrong forum/repost or something.
Reply 1
Absolutely worth declaring it. I have mental health problems (including depression) and have just been assessed for DSA and disability services at my uni. I have been offered a lot of support, including a mentor, extra time in exams, a Dictaphone and a printer. I understand how hard it is to ask for help, but it's far better to mention it now as a precaution, than waiting until 6 months after you've started to find that things are going downhill and you have to then try and put everything in place in a hurry, or end up dropping out. Disability services are used to dealing with MH problems, honestly, don't worry :smile: It's up to you whether you get your tutor to write it in your reference, mine did because of the potential impact it could have (I'm studying nursing, so there are additional stages in the admission process where things like that have to be declared) but I'd definitely recommend getting in contact with the disability team once you know where you're likely to be going :smile: And congratulations for coming so far with your health and life in general :biggrin:
You do not mention it on your personal statement, it is your referee's job.
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest