The Student Room Group

subjects i should take.

I have recently started an a-s course in currently i am taking biology, chemistry, and horticulture (i'm 2-3 weeks into the course) meaning this is likely my last chance to change.

I want to study medicine eventually. would it therefore be better if i dropped horticulture and took applied science instead? I was told not to do this as some university will not accept applied science as a subject if i have biology because they're too similar.

physics is not an option, my school does not do it because not a single person wanted to do it (although they might have a coach bring me to a nearby a school that does, this is done for a few other students)

i thought horticulture was my next best option because plant science relates to biology alot and also it opened afew more options for me, if i found medicine was not the path i wanted to take.

so what to you think i should do? applied science or horticulture?

(for my fourth subject i'm doing extended project which i will relate to healthcare)

and is it even possible for me to get into medicine taking biology , chemistry and horticulture.

my gcse grades were b in maths, b in English, b in core and additional science, and D* in horticulture.

i don't want to take maths at sixth form as i really, really hate maths and do not find it interesting meaning i would be unable to revise, despite being fairly good at maths.

also what other options do i have from the subjects i am taking other than medicine.
Reply 1
You should contact the universities directly and see what subjects they want and what they would be happy with. Email the admissions tutors, or call up directly, and ask about what you should be taking.

Ultimately, they are the ones who will be admitting you onto the course, so you need to impress them. You can use UCAS to find universities which offer that course and then find universities in the right sort of academic region for you and contact them.
Reply 2
Original post by liamb89
I want to study medicine eventually. would it therefore be better if i dropped horticulture and took applied science instead?

Doubt any of these A levels are well respected. I haven't heard of either before that probably speaks for itself.

Original post by liamb89
i don't want to take maths at sixth form as i really, really hate maths and do not find it interesting meaning i would be unable to revise, despite being fairly good at maths.

Maths is probably your best option - at least it is better than taking 'horticulture' or 'applied science'. A B in GCSE maths means you will struggle though.

Maths isn't essential though, there are many other options. What do you like? History, English, French, German, Economics? More importantly, what will you do well in - good enough to get an A?

Original post by liamb89
for my fourth subject i'm doing extended project which i will relate to healthcare

That's good, but it shouldn't be based on 'healthcare' generically. It has to be really specific.

Also, last note - do you think you can get at least - say - AAB at AS?
Reply 3
Original post by Lunch_Box
Doubt any of these A levels are well respected. I haven't heard of either before that probably speaks for itself.

Maths is probably your best option - at least it is better than taking 'horticulture' or 'applied science'. A B in GCSE maths means you will struggle though.

Maths isn't essential though, there are many other options. What do you like? History, English, French, German, Economics? More importantly, what will you do well in - good enough to get an A?

That's good, but it shouldn't be based on 'healthcare' generically. It has to be really specific.

Also, last note - do you think you can get at least - say - AAB at AS?

i've been studying 15-20 hours a week so far an yeah aab seems easy i took my chemistry mock and got b and biology A the other subjects are very easy.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest