The Student Room Group

Camp America 2014!!!

Hey guys!

I've sent off my camp America application and paid my first deposit! Also, i selected my interviewer like 3days ago but still not heard from her yet... Should I get in touch with her or carry on waiting?
How long did it take for the interviewer to arrange an interview with you? Also what was the interview like? I don't really have any strong sporty skills but I have over 150 hours childcare experience.. Would I have a good chance or should I not get my hopes up? I can't stop thinking about camp America ahhhhh I'd be so gutted if I didn't get a place!

Any advice would be so appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,

Email your interviewer, and if they do not reply pick a new one. They can be busy and a lot of them have other jobs. Mine replied the next day and I'm now on ready to place.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you, I decided to change the interviewer and I have new one who has been in touch with me and made recommendations to my application like adding more detail to my skills. And now I've done all that I might get an interview soon. What kind of questions were you asked at your interview? Like what were the tough questions? Congrats on passing it and best of luck on being placed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
We did my police form, them she just asked about my application, and we just went into more detail and she made notes. I'm Jewish so we talked about how strict I am and kosher. We talked about camps and why I wanted to do those, talked about my child care experience and then she asked me to describe myself in 3 words and why I think I would be a good councillor and tha was it. No hard questions or anything. I think I had a lucky interview. If you go into depth and expand a lot I think they don't need to ask more. I thought I would be nervous but it was so relaxed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Ahh right, thank you for the info! What did you put for your camp preferences? I prefer to work at underprivileged, girl guides or single sex and willing to work at all the other camps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Does anybody know how competitive the places are for the Campower roles? I don't have any voluntary work, DofE awards etc. so would that put me in a bad position?
Reply 7
Hi I'm applying to Camp America and was wondering how to go about booking an interview do we have to email them or do they email us???

Also did anyone else put that they're not willing to do some of the camps I said I'm not willing to do the religious ones and the disabled but do you think that would look bad on my application? I might put willing to do disabled but because I'm atheist I don't really want to do the religious ones more to do with I might offend them by accident.
Reply 8
Original post by beccac94
Hi I'm applying to Camp America and was wondering how to go about booking an interview do we have to email them or do they email us???

Also did anyone else put that they're not willing to do some of the camps I said I'm not willing to do the religious ones and the disabled but do you think that would look bad on my application? I might put willing to do disabled but because I'm atheist I don't really want to do the religious ones more to do with I might offend them by accident.

I think you can just select one and the interviewer will contact you. If they don't after like a week or something either change the interviewer or you contact them.

I was going to write unwilling for those too. But I ended up putting willing for both just increase my chances. To be honest, I wouldn't mind either but would prefer them just because I'm not very religious and I've never worked with disabled children before. I do think if I got placed at a disabled camp I would take as it is a good opportunity career wise (I want to be a teacher). But the way I thought of it was how badly do you want to go to camp? If you think you wouldn't like a religious camp and definitely don't want to placed there then say no.. But if you're not too bothered just put willing to accept it. But don't put prefer it, if you wouldn't prefer it.

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Fabay
I think you can just select one and the interviewer will contact you. If they don't after like a week or something either change the interviewer or you contact them.

I was going to write unwilling for those too. But I ended up putting willing for both just increase my chances. To be honest, I wouldn't mind either but would prefer them just because I'm not very religious and I've never worked with disabled children before. I do think if I got placed at a disabled camp I would take as it is a good opportunity career wise (I want to be a teacher). But the way I thought of it was how badly do you want to go to camp? If you think you wouldn't like a religious camp and definitely don't want to placed there then say no.. But if you're not too bothered just put willing to accept it. But don't put prefer it, if you wouldn't prefer it.

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thankyouuu that was really helpful, I might just put willing to do them because I have worked with disabled people when I was at a city farm and I can just make sure if I get placed at a religious camp that I just keep my opinons to myself because I'm sure I can just live through a little religiousness if I end up spending most the summer doing things that I love :biggrin:

I'm struggling to fill in the bits that show up when you press willing to do this placement now, do you think you can just leave them blank? and the bit about having to help disabled people like cleaning them and stuff...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Okay thankyouuu that was really helpful, I might just put willing to do them because I have worked with disabled people when I was at a city farm and I can just make sure if I get placed at a religious camp that I just keep my opinons to myself because I'm sure I can just live through a little religiousness if I end up spending most the summer doing things that I love :biggrin:

I'm struggling to fill in the bits that show up when you press willing to do this placement now, do you think you can just leave them blank? and the bit about having to help disabled people like cleaning them and stuff...

I left them blank but then my interviewer reviewed my application and said I need to make changes. And the changes were filling those bits in. I was honest and said things like, I have never worked with disabled children or adults before. But I didn't write loads. And for like, what role does religion play in your life.. I wrote like I believe in God but not quite sure what my beliefs are about religion etc cos on my form I've put Im atheist/Agnostic. And for openness about religion I wrote that I've been to catholic college and high school and respect other people etc.. But again just write like a sentence. And for that question about having to help disable people, I think I said no because I know I would be really awkward doing something like that unless i absolutely HAD to. And the fact that they have given us a choice I think I should be ok.I'm A bit worried for my interview now cos I might get asked questions about my camp preferences and I don't want to sound ignorant lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Fabay
I left them blank but then my interviewer reviewed my application and said I need to make changes. And the changes were filling those bits in. I was honest and said things like, I have never worked with disabled children or adults before. But I didn't write loads. And for like, what role does religion play in your life.. I wrote like I believe in God but not quite sure what my beliefs are about religion etc cos on my form I've put Im atheist/Agnostic. And for openness about religion I wrote that I've been to catholic college and high school and respect other people etc.. But again just write like a sentence. And for that question about having to help disable people, I think I said no because I know I would be really awkward doing something like that unless i absolutely HAD to. And the fact that they have given us a choice I think I should be ok.I'm A bit worried for my interview now cos I might get asked questions about my camp preferences and I don't want to sound ignorant lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a bunch for that, I put about me going to a catholic college and put about respecting and for the faith one I put something about not having religious faith but having faith in family.
Reply 12
Original post by Fabay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I am in the middle of my application. Do you know if there is a deadline for the application? If so when?
Could you possibly give me any advice on why would you like to participate on this programme?
Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by jacob1208
Hi, I am in the middle of my application. Do you know if there is a deadline for the application? If so when?
Could you possibly give me any advice on why would you like to participate on this programme?
Thanks.

I think I can answer some of that I'm pretty sure the deadline isn't till either February or March or maybe even a bit later so you've got plenty of time.

For the why would you want to participate I got some ideas through looking at peoples camp america videos on youtube as there loads of them out there :smile:
Reply 14
I think I can answer some of that I'm pretty sure the deadline isn't till either February or March or maybe even a bit later so you've got plenty of time.

For the why would you want to participate I got some ideas through looking at peoples camp america videos on youtube as there loads of them out there :smile:

Great. Thats very useful as I was worried that I was pressed for time and that I had to rush the application.
It also means I can possibly look at other companies that are similar.
Do you have any idea where you want to go or where you can go to for camps?
Reply 15
Original post by jacob1208
Great. Thats very useful as I was worried that I was pressed for time and that I had to rush the application.
It also means I can possibly look at other companies that are similar.
Do you have any idea where you want to go or where you can go to for camps?

There is a list somewhere with a list of some of the camp but i'll find it when I get home from work :biggrin:
Reply 16
What kind of questions do they ask you at interview? I have mine next week and v.nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I will struggle with the references as I have only been in my current job for 2 months and I do not know who to use as I am on a gap year..
Not to be a party pooper but I applied to CA last year and didn't get placed. I was the same as the OP; lots of childcare experience (even studying for a childcare HNC and volunteering at brownies, working at an out of schools club/nursery) but because I didn't have qualifications in skills I wasn't wanted. Even to be the camp photographer going round taking pics of the kids doing activities you needed to be a freelance photographer as a career apparently.. But that was just my sucky experience, you guys might be lucky. I for one won't be applying through CA again though.
Reply 19
Original post by txie
Not to be a party pooper but I applied to CA last year and didn't get placed. I was the same as the OP; lots of childcare experience (even studying for a childcare HNC and volunteering at brownies, working at an out of schools club/nursery) but because I didn't have qualifications in skills I wasn't wanted. Even to be the camp photographer going round taking pics of the kids doing activities you needed to be a freelance photographer as a career apparently.. But that was just my sucky experience, you guys might be lucky. I for one won't be applying through CA again though.

Aww no, I'm probably in the same boat.. Childcare experience, studying a degree in childhood studies but no strong sport skills.. Should I not bother going to my interview tmra lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest