The Student Room Group

Birmingham or Manchester?

I'm currently on a gap year and I'm applying to Birmingham for History and Manchester for Modern History with Economics and I'm wondering which is the better university for History? I've already been to Birmingham uni 3 times and I quite like the place and I'm going to Manchester open day on the 5th.
Original post by vishshark
I'm currently on a gap year and I'm applying to Birmingham for History and Manchester for Modern History with Economics and I'm wondering which is the better university for History? I've already been to Birmingham uni 3 times and I quite like the place and I'm going to Manchester open day on the 5th.

History degrees can vary a lot in terms of content, so make sure that you like the modules that are on offer. What it's probably going to come down to though is whether or not you want to study economics, which is the most stark difference between the two. Do you like maths?

PS Manchester :woo:
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
History degrees can vary a lot in terms of content, so make sure that you like the modules that are on offer. What it's probably going to come down to though is whether or not you want to study economics, which is the most stark difference between the two. Do you like maths?

PS Manchester :woo:

I do like maths actually! I'm resitting maths A-level right now to boost my grade up to hopefully an A. That's kind of why I'm more drawn to Manchester and the fact that modern history is my favourite time period! I don't know much about the uni yet and I live in Birmingham so I feel more comfortable staying at home. But I'll guess I'll see on the 5th. :smile:
Original post by vishshark
I do like maths actually! I'm resitting maths A-level right now to boost my grade up to hopefully an A. That's kind of why I'm more drawn to Manchester and the fact that modern history is my favourite time period! I don't know much about the uni yet and I live in Birmingham so I feel more comfortable staying at home. But I'll guess I'll see on the 5th. :smile:

Well it's good that you like maths - economics is very maths based!

Being pushed out of your comfort zone might not be such a bad thing - everyone gets nervous about moving away, but very few people regret it; I can honestly say that leaving home to go to uni (from Bristol, so twice as far as Birmingham!) is one of the best things I've done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending