The Student Room Group

would having a mental health problems affect applying for nursing?

I had to take a year out of school because of mental health problems, it was around 2 years ago and have been clear of medication for about a year. Im now I'm about to apply to university. I want to do Mental Health nursing and have heard that the people who have history of mental health sometimes fail the occupational health check. does any one know what criteria for mental health you need to meet to be able to get a place on a nursing course?
Thanks!
I passed mine. They had reports from my psychiatrist etc. I was particularly violent at 15-17. At 20 when I went to do MH Nursing I had no issues. This was however with a low ranked university (LSBU)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I have the same worry as I've been sectioned a few times and am now applying for social work, I'm still trying to find out if it'll make me fail the OHC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys this worries me also as I've suffered Mh issues from the age of 12 and I am now 25!! Will this stop me becoming a nurse?? I would be devastated it's all I want! Does anyone know definitively if this is a problem? I've heard that it shouldn't stop us as it's discrimination and the oh are there to help , yet I'm still terrified!! Someone please advise xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yea I've been told the same thing that the OH is to help make adjustments and stuff, but I'm worried someone will turn round and say I'm not fit to practice..
I guess all you can do is wait and hope. Although I have been told by camhs that unless you're really ill they won't reject you, although if you have a psychiatrist they will prob be able to access notes threw the OH check and section notes etc.
hope kinda helpful lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
If you have the support of your GP and your MH team/MH professional (if applicable) then you should be fine. It's not about being 'cured', it's about ensuring the safety of yourself and your patients. It is a very stressful course, and you need to be able to cope with that stress. I have been in psych hospital twice, with one admission being 1 year before I started the course, and have been fine from an OH perspective. Just be honest and proactive in seeking help if you need it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by katejanice
I had to take a year out of school because of mental health problems, it was around 2 years ago and have been clear of medication for about a year. Im now I'm about to apply to university. I want to do Mental Health nursing and have heard that the people who have history of mental health sometimes fail the occupational health check. does any one know what criteria for mental health you need to meet to be able to get a place on a nursing course?
Thanks!

It all depends on the severity of the illness, if it's still affecting you (you say it's not which is good but you may need professional verification if you haven't got it already) and which mental illness it is. To be sure I'd speak to a careers advisor which your college for future uni could help you with. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by katejanice
Thanks!

I'm applying for MH nursing for sep 14, for City Uni.
However, I've had for the past 3 years- psychosis, I'm highly functioning though, and I cope extremely well and it's never effected my education/work life.. I'm really hoping I'd be alright.
I've spoke to occupation health, they said, if my GP tells them of any MH problems, I'll have to be assessed by one of their doctors to see if I'm stable/whether the job will effect my MH issues.
Has anyone here had MH issues and still got into nursing?
Reply 8
I volunteer with Samaritans so know a **** tonne of counselors, doctors, nurses etc and for the most part they've all had experience with MH problems, usually that's the reason that they go into their field. Providing you are "stable" and have shown that for a period of time that you've had no relapse, they shouldn't have any problems. Especially in MH nursing you will probably be seen as an asset (that's how I know it has gone for my mates) because you actually know what the patient is going through, that's a kind of empathy that can't really be taught. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest