The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask a Uni of Sheffield student anything!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by melissaye
Where is lecture theatre 1 in the med school/hospital?! Please?! I know where the hospital is but don't know which entrance to go in or which part the lecture theatres are in. Thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by super_kawaii
As long as you want it to be :smile:

Every flat has a small post box by the front door to the block. Letters and small parcels will be put in there. However, if the parcel doesn't fit, you'll get a note asking you to go to the post office collection point to pick it up-it's not too far away although be prepared to walk up a steep hill to get there!

Steep hill 😩😩😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GemmaSmith
Steep hill 😩😩😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it wasn't the most pleasant of walks. Luckily I only had to go up once at the end of 2nd semester when I ordered some cheap shot glasses off Amazon.

Sadly I don't know my way around the hospital either, although if you ask at student services or on the Sheffield Medics page you'll be able to find out
I've seen quite a few threads like this so I thought I'd make one for Sheffield students.

I'm a current 2nd year studying Chinese with Japanese. I'm out on my year abroad at the moment but I'm willing to answer any questions any new first years or prospective students have.

Fire away :smile:

Hey I'm looking to study modern languages at Sheffield :smile:
Did you study both Chinese and Japanese from beginner's level? If so, how did you find it very difficult? Also, how flexible is Sheffield with choosing different modules/languages? And with what you do on your year abroad, are they flexible about this too?

Sorry lots of questions, thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goerginab123
Did you study both Chinese and Japanese from beginner's level? If so, how did you find it very difficult? Also, how flexible is Sheffield with choosing different modules/languages? And with what you do on your year abroad, are they flexible about this too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey

Yeah, I studied both from scratch and didn't find it too difficult. As I do Chinese with Japanese, it's a 60% 40% split in favour of Chinese, meaning I have more Chinese language than Japanese. I didn't find it too hard in first year-I averaged a first at the end of the year, although the pace does move very quickly at Sheffield.

With regards to modules, you have 120 credits a year, so 60 credits a semester. Some of this will be taken up of compulsory modules which you have to take. Most people make up the remainder of their credits with modules from their school, although it is possible to take other languages ab initio. However I wasn't able to take advantage of these, due to all my credits being taken up my compulsory modules.

With regards to your year abroad, when you go depends on which language you major in. Chinese and Korean majors go abroad in 2nd year, whereas everyone else goes abroad in 3rd year. As I'm a Chinese studies major, I'm currently on my year abroad in Nanjing, China. All Chinese studies have to go to Nanjing university, although other languages have a choice. However I don't know how people are allocated to different universities-I think there are limited places at different unis which students have to apply then compete for.

Which languages are you planning on studying?
Yeah, it wasn't the most pleasant of walks. Luckily I only had to go up once at the end of 2nd semester when I ordered some cheap shot glasses off Amazon.

Every day for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GemmaSmith
Every day for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a way you can miss 'Mt Endcliffe' as we called it-if you walk through the high school, you can get to uni without going up hills-check the maps :smile:
Reply 28
Hi I want to study BA Education, Culture and Childhood. I'm doing Access Education and I was just wondering if there's anyone on here that did an access course and is now studying at Sheffield or if you know anyone that has? Is it worth applying or am I setting my sights too high?
Reply 29
Does sheffield uni provide diploma in biomedical science or health science??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goerginab123

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Chinese and Japanese are both taken from a beginner level. Personally I do find it hard in pats, but that's only because I didn't work hard enough in first year.

If you choose to major in a common language such as French or Spanish, you're usually expect to have A Level knowlege, although you should check the entry requirements on the Sheffield website to make sure.

There's plenty of opportunity to take up new languages ab initio, although this all depends if you have free credits remaining.

Where you go on your year abroad depends on your major. For example, my major's Chinese, so I have to go to Nanjing, China for my year abroad. However, European languages get a bit more choice, although you'll have to check with yiur department
Original post by Asfpr3
Does sheffield uni provide diploma in biomedical science or health science??

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, they don't
Reply 32
I have an offer for Civil Engineering and hope to do study abroad during my course. How helpful are the university at finding a place in a foreign university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by sbuck96
I have an offer for Civil Engineering and hope to do study abroad during my course. How helpful are the university at finding a place in a foreign university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've also applied to Civil Engineering at Sheffield - when did you apply and when did you get their offer back? Congrats:smile:
Original post by sbuck96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sheffield are really good at finding placements abroad. They have connections with many unis across Europe through the Erasmus scheme, which is really useful. Here's a link to the unis you can go to for Civil Engineering.

http://www.shef.ac.uk/erasmus/exchange-links#Civil-Structural-Engineering
Reply 35
Original post by tjenefer
I've also applied to Civil Engineering at Sheffield - when did you apply and when did you get their offer back? Congrats:smile:

I applied at the end of September and received the offer about 3 weeks after. Did you apply for the MEng or BEng course? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Just wanted to know if Sheffield was a good night out? Thanks
Reply 37
Original post by sbuck96
I applied at the end of September and received the offer about 3 weeks after. Did you apply for the MEng or BEng course? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The MEng, but technically the Civil and Structural Engineering. I applied about a week and a half ago and am yet to get a offer - its my first choice I think though. Where else have you applied to? Oxbridge? :smile:
Original post by DM0101
Just wanted to know if Sheffield was a good night out? Thanks

Yes! Sheffield's a brilliant night out! Of course you've got all the union events, but there's so much more in the town centre! On West Street, which is just by uni, there are loads of bars-many societies give out discount cards to some of the bars in their welcome packs. In town centre, there's Carver Street, which is full of clubs. There's also Corp, which has its infamous school disco on a Wednesday night, so don't forget your white shirt and school tie! :biggrin: Corp's famous for its quad vods, but make sure you get them before midnight before the price doubles! There's also Jump Around at Plug which is always a good night out. Jump Around has a twitter screen so it's always amusing reading people's drunken tweets the next morning. Propaganda on a Friday moved from the O2 Arena to Plug this year, but is a good night out if you're more of a fan of indie music. On Saturday, I'd definitely recommend Replica. If you get your name on the guest list, you get discounted entry, which is always a bonus :smile:

Any societies you join will also have socials, which usually involve bar crawls. Always a good night out.

Of course, house parties are a regular occurrence, especially after exams, so there's plenty of partying to see you through first year.
What is the law school like? How lively is the night life there? Are there many asian students there and how well do they integrate?

I have one last spot on my UCAS and I can't decide between Queen Mary or Sheffield. QM would be good reputation wise and it's in London, so that is basically the strength. But then again, it's in London :tongue: I hate that it's going to be expensive, rents, food, transportation and stuff. Sheffield's law doesn't enjoy the same level of reputation, but it looks like it's where I might find joy. Plus, it's where the Arctic Monkeys are from :biggrin: Would love to attend a uni where there are not as many asian students for a change. Nothing racist coz I'm asian myself, just that I'd like a change of atmosphere, culture and perspective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending