The Student Room Group

A world in which being gay was the norm...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilyobz
I prefer the Lancastrians... :colone:

Traitor! The Yorkists rule, the Lancastrians drool :tongue:
Reply 41
Original post by Secretnerd123
No, thats just wrong and in no way natural.

And are you aware that you are demonstrating the exact same bigoted views expressed by the intolerant people in the video?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by PythianLegume
OMG, that's such a stereotype! Why does everyone keep going on about how gays can't reproduce?! :angry:

lol wut
Original post by Pictraz
lol wut

's a joke.
Reply 44
Original post by PythianLegume
's a joke.

Oh sorry then :|
Reply 45
Am I the only one who gets really irritated by this video? What is straight was gay and gay was straight? How about, what if everyone just accepted everybody regardless of their sexuality?

Turning the tables makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, it doesn't make anything any better. People are still sad and aren't accepted. It just seems really hypocritical to me and contributes nothing to the discussion.
Reply 46
Original post by Linnerzx
Am I the only one who gets really irritated by this video? What is straight was gay and gay was straight? How about, what if everyone just accepted everybody regardless of their sexuality?

Turning the tables makes absolutely no difference whatsoever, it doesn't make anything any better. People are still sad and aren't accepted. It just seems really hypocritical to me and contributes nothing to the discussion.

The video is perhaps a way to demonstrate to hetereosexuals how the lives of some gay people are. That is impossible with religion and intolerance, but yes everybody should be accepted regardless of their sexuality.

The video is an eye opener for many, especially Americans... it is quite interesting also to see the story of the girl and how all of society were against her. I think it's good for illustrating a point to people who don't quite understand the torment many gay people go through.

So no I completely disagree with you and thought the video was a very interesting take on how sexuality is perceived within society.
I'm bi. Nothing much would change.

No wait, I like checking out girls far more than guys, so if I got seen the likelihood of her being weirded out is a little less.
Reply 48
Original post by Robbie242
The video is perhaps a way to demonstrate to hetereosexuals how the lives of some gay people are. That is impossible with religion and intolerance, but yes everybody should be accepted regardless of their sexuality.

The video is an eye opener for many, especially Americans... it is quite interesting also to see the story of the girl and how all of society were against her. I think it's good for illustrating a point to people who don't quite understand the torment many gay people go through.

So no I completely disagree with you and thought the video was a very interesting take on how sexuality is perceived within society.

At first I thought it was interesting... but to call it eye opening, I'm not really sure I could agree with that. If someone found it eye opening I would have to wonder what rock they have been living under for the past decade. In this day and age, the whole of society is not against gay people. Maybe this is more the case in America as you said...

The message I got from it was that is acceptable to not accept the abnormal, and that everyone would be happy living in this imaginary bubble. In reality, some people don't accept homosexuality because this isn't the norm. In the video, heterosexuality wasn't accepted because it wasn't the norm. It just felt to me like they were almost condoning conformity, because that's what everyone thinks they should do.

I just feel like there are far better messages sent out about the acceptance of sexuality than this video.
Reply 49
Original post by Secretnerd123
This video is really sad. I pray society never becomes like that although thats almost impossible

i have nothing against homos but watching that video really made me thankful for how normal society is.

Doubtful.
Reply 50
At first I thought it was interesting... but to call it eye opening, I'm not really sure I could agree with that. If someone found it eye opening I would have to wonder what rock they have been living under for the past decade. In this day and age, the whole of society is not against gay people. Maybe this is more the case in America as you said...

The message I got from it was that is acceptable to not accept the abnormal, and that everyone would be happy living in this imaginary bubble. In reality, some people don't accept homosexuality because this isn't the norm. In the video, heterosexuality wasn't accepted because it wasn't the norm. It just felt to me like they were almost condoning conformity, because that's what everyone thinks they should do.

I just feel like there are far better messages sent out about the acceptance of sexuality than this video.

Fair point but I still think that it was obvious from the video that it was trying to articulate a point about bullying gay people to that extent just because of their sexuality. I hardly doubt a video as emotionally driven as this one will be used to think its an acceptable thing to do, they were just showing how hard it is for some gay people to live a normal life.

I don't think conformity was its message at all, it was very clear with the girl killing herself at the end that being discriminatory against heterosexuals in that universe can lead to terrible suffering for herself and her family. It was exaggerated though, one of the mums was a complete bitch though

I really don't know how you got this from the video; I got the complete opposite message. I found that it made me think in a way that simple "love is love" posters don't. I mean I've always been of the opinion that homophobia is wrong but to have it presented to you like this makes you think. If you've ever read the Noughts and Crosses series it deals with racism in the same way: by flipping it on its head so the majority IRL are the ones discriminated against in the flip.

I really can't work out how you got the impression from the video that it's ok to be "heterophobic" (so homophobic IRL). I really don't understand.

Quick Reply

Latest