The Student Room Group

TSR Recipe Club! (Week #2)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ok, here we go. This is something I've adapted from a recipe I saw on the internet at some point. I'm pretty skint at the moment which is why I've just made this for my dinner. It's a cheat's meatball recipe really, rather than making your own meatballs you save the time by cutting up sausages into little meatball sized chunks. It makes about four servings (depends on how big you like your portions). Anyway, enough waffle, here it is.

Moonkatt’s simple sausage casserole (cheat’s meatballs or whatever else you want to call it)

For this I’ve used:
6 Sausages, use whatever ones you want, the posh range ones have a higher meat content and are usually better but I used normal tesco ones today
1 Medium onion; chopped
2 cloves garlic: crushed
A tin of chopped tomatoes
Tomato puree
Beef stock cube/melt thingy
Paprika
Chilli powder
Balsamic vinegar
Pasta. I use spaghetti or linguine usually

1: Heat a non-stick casserole pan or saucepan on the hob and add a lug of oil. Put the onions and garlic in and soften them for about ten minutes until they are becoming translucent

2: Whilst the onions are on cut the sausages into approx. 2 cm portions like small meatballs. I found using kitchen scissors is the easiest way.

3: Add the sausages to the pan and cook until the skins are browned.

4: add a tablespoon of tomato puree, the tin of tomatoes, the stock cube, a dessert spoon of balsamic vinegar, a teaspoon of paprika and a teaspoon of chilli powder (I used hot). I added about 100 mls water as well

5: Cover and simmer for about half an hour. When ready the sauce should have reduced and thickened. Taste and season according to taste. I sometimes add a bit more balsamic vinegar or chilli to give it some welly.

6: Cook your pasta according to the instructions on the pack and serve.

This is nice with some cheddar cheese or parmesan grated over it and a handful of fresh basil if you’ve got any. If you want adding some fresh herbs add to it all, I usually go for fresh thyme and rosemary, or sometimes I’ll add a glass of red wine and reduce it before adding the tinned toms or add some mushrooms towards the end to bulk it all out.

So let me know what you guys think :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by moonkatt
I may have something to add later on. I have an aversion to measuring things when I cook though, so this could be interesting :smile:

Yours looks awesome :teeth: I have some good quality sausages in the fridge already, so I might put them in the freezer so they're ready to make this with :h:
Nice one Gofre.

I'm gonna go for a curry I think (recipe sorted), just struggling a bit with rice/naan.
This here is one of my personal favourites. Not completely cheap, but you'll still sort everyone for under £4 a head. And it makes a great appetiser - easy to do, impressive to serve. Enjoy everyone:

Pan-Seared Scallops
On a bed of sautéed asparagus,
drizzled with a sage-butter sauce

Serves 4
Preparation time: 5-8 minutes

Ingredients

- 6 king scallops, halved horizontally.
- 16 large spears of asparagus, bases trimmed
- 100g unsalted butter
- 4 sage leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100ml olive oil
- 30g finely chopped parsley

Method

Placing the crushed garlic in a small sieve, slowly pour the olive oil through the garlic into a small pan. Add the sage leaves and leave gently simmering.

Place two large pans on high heat, with 2 tsp. of olive oil in one of the pans, and place the 12 scallop halves in the oiled pan. When browning on the bottom, turn the scallops and lower the heat to a minimum. Sprinkle coarse sea salt over the asparagus and drop them in the dry pan.

When the asparagus have turned a bright colour, remove from the heat. The scallops will also be ready to serve. Lay four asparagus spears diagonally across each plate, placing three scallop halves on top, then finish by drizzling the sage butter over the top. Season with black pepper and a light sprinkle of the chopped parsley to garnish.

Have fun!
(edited 10 years ago)
Right, best get my recipe up! Then voting will be open :h:

BBQ Pork n' Slaw (serves 2)
-2 Pork loin steaks (pork chops as an alternative)
-Half a teaspoon of: Ground ginger, paprika, mustard powder (or english mustard, powder is preferred though), salt
-Half a shallot/onion
-1 Clove of garlic
-250ml chicken stock (proper stock or made from cube/stock pot all work fine)
-150 ml passata
-100ml ketchup
-90ml cider vinegar
-90g muscavado sugar
-Dash of worcestershire sauce
-1 Tablespoon of Honey/Golden Syrup/Maple Syrup

-Half a white cabbage
-Juice of one lime
-1 tbsp cider vinegar
-1tbsp caster sugar

Lots of ingredients and a bit of slow cooking required, but it's relatively simple after that, promise!
-Finely slice the onion/shallot and sweat in a large saucepan over a medium heat so they don't colour for about ten minutes, adding finely chopped garlic for the last minute
-Mix the ginger, paprika, salt and mustard powder (reserve the mustard if you aren't using powder) and add half to the pan (reserve the other half) with all the other ingredients apart from the pork steaks, stir until combined and leave to simmer until it has reduced by about a third (should take about 15 minutes)
-Meanwhile, rub the other half of the spice mix on the pork steaks and fry each side on a high heat for a couple of minutes until golden and caramelised.
-It's time to add the pork to the sauce! You can either blend the sauce or pass it through a sieve to make it smooth, but I like the onion bits :smile: either way, submerge the pork steaks in the bbq sauce and bring to a simmer
-Leave simmering for an hour and a half, turning occasionally if the steaks aren't fully submerged, or until the sauce has reduced right down to a seriously sticky concoction, then take off the heat and leave the pork to cool in the sauce (this is pretty essential for good pulling pork). When cooled, shred the pork by getting two forks and pulling away in different directions. Return to the sauce and bring up to heat on the hob when ready to serve.
-For the slaw, mix up the sugar, lime and vinegar. Finely slice the cabbage, pour over the mix and stir.

I serve it with crusty bread :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Poll is up :smile:

Spoiler

I'll make a theoretic decision and vote on the poll based on what sounds the best and then I'll cook all 3 recipes next week, during my half term and then give some feedback :h:.
I get it now. We post recipes. We vote. Winning recipe is cooked by everyone at home. Thick bastard I am. lol at nobody pointing this out to me.

Here's mine:

Lamb curry - Preparation time: 5 hours (most of that is slow cooking) (Don't know the exact name of this curry sorry but it's the dog's, got it from a curry house)

This serves 4 - 6 people.

- 5 pounds (roughly 2 kilo) of lamb meat on the bone
- 4 tomatoes (or a tin)
- 4 onions (big ones)
- 1 tbsp garlic (= 4 cloves chopped)
- 1/2 - 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp danya (ground corriander)
- 1/2 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tbsp haldi (turmeric)
- 1/2 tsp salt

Not many ingredients tbh.

Optional: chopped fresh chilis, cinnamon stick, 3 cardamoms and a few black pepper corns.

Step By Step

Peel, chop & fry the onions in ghee or oil on high, then drop to medium when they start to sizzle. Ghee is better but make sure you use a decent amount ffs, maybe twice what you would think is the right amount. The onions take ****ing ages usually due to the high water content, and it looks like there are load of them but they reduce to next to nothing. Once they are very soft add the garlic and ginger and stir it in for 30 seconds then add all the spices. Stir this up in the oil then add the lamb and the tomatoes, or a tin of chopped tomatoes if you have no fresh ones and get it all up to boiling point. Add a couple of tablespoons of water if you really need to, but try it without for a bit as it cooks far better without it.

At this point you can add a few chopped fresh chilis, cinnamon stick, 3 cardamoms and a few black pepper corns (recommended).

Turn down the heat, put the lid on and keep it low for at least 3 to 4 hours stirring occasionally to stop it sticking. After 2 hours, it looks like it's done but it's not and needs another hour at least.

Chuck a bit of fresh corriander in when serving if you have some., serve with naan or rice of your choice.

That's it. Pretty cheap as well per serving I think. Gonna do this on Saturday.
Well I left this longer than I normally would in the hopes the deadlock would shift, but it didn't :ahee: so yeah, cook whichever you please before next week's vote :h: I'll be cooking the pork tomorrow night and the other two in the week :teeth:

Spoiler

Yeah there's a fourth recipe that's been posted mate :confused:

I can't do mine anyway, ASDA sold out of ghee, apparently it's Diwali.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Yeah there's a fourth recipe that's been posted mate :confused:

I can't do mine anyway, ASDA sold out of ghee, apparently it's Diwali.

Not sure if I should consider it, it came in after the poll went up ;D I'll cook this as well then :h:

Fair enough, if them's the rules, them's the rules.
I realllllllllly wanna make this, curse being gluten intolerant :frown:
Reply 33
Hi! I'm an avid cook, would love to join this club :biggrin:
I do tend to cook gourmet but I can provide recipes at a cheaper price so will definitely get one prepared for tomorrow's submissions :h:
This is a great idea btw! Cooking is awesome haha.
This seems great, when it's not pork I can do this **** :teeth: if my mother lets me into the kitchen :sigh:

Fair enough, if them's the rules, them's the rules.

Curry war! I'll ask my mum to write a recipe, see Curry House Business Vs Home Cooking.
Sorry I never got this going this week guys, it's been a hectic week. We'll be kicking off again on Sunday :yep:

Did anyone get around to cooking any of the dishes? I've cooked up my pork (see pics) and Moonkat's casserole so far. I had the pork in a big doorstop sandwich with the slaw, mustard and a dash of tabasco, was pretty awesome. The sausage dish was great too, although I made a couple of changes too. First off, there was no balsamic vinegar because I discovered I ran out :ashamed2: I also substituted the water for a glass of red wine, for added richness and because I had a bottle of cooking wine that would never get used otherwise :ahee: served over tagliatelle it was very good :h:

EDIT: Turns out train wifi is not built for uploading large image files, pics will be up later :ahee:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Curry war! I'll ask my mum to write a recipe, see Curry House Business Vs Home Cooking.

Would be great if you posted one. I'm not Asian, curries to us normally = Patak's curry paste in a jar, tin of tomatoes + water.
Would be great if you posted one. I'm not Asian, curries to us normally = Patak's curry paste in a jar, tin of tomatoes + water.

I shall when I'm home... Which will be Saturday :cry2: But I definitely will, although she doesn't use measurements, it just "feels" right so you might have to adjust to your taste.
Right guys, get your recipes in! I'm thinking from next week we'll start doing theme weeks (e.g baking week, dessert week, etc) if people like the sound of that?

My recipe will be up later. In the meantime, here's my pork from last week :h:
I cooked my scallops. It's one of my favourite apps.

Didn't do the others though - I don't eat meat!

Quick Reply

Latest