The Student Room Group

Medicine at Oxbridge? Who gets in?

So I'm in my first year of sixth form but I need to make up my mind about whether or not to apply for oxbridge by next term. My tutor reckons I shouldn't because I'd be narrowing my options. I got 10 A*s at gcse but the teachers see me as really quiet so maybe that's a reason why I'm being discouraged. I am incredibly passionate about medicine and I know I would have no difficulty in conveying that at an interview.
So my question is what type of character does it take to get into Medicine at Oxbridge if there is one?

Scroll to see replies

No particular "type" of character. You should definitely apply if you want to go, and obviously 10A* at GCSE is a great start!
Reply 2
Original post by notthatquiet
So I'm in my first year of sixth form but I need to make up my mind about whether or not to apply for oxbridge by next term. My tutor reckons I shouldn't because I'd be narrowing my options. I got 10 A*s at gcse but the teachers see me as really quiet so maybe that's a reason why I'm being discouraged. I am incredibly passionate about medicine and I know I would have no difficulty in conveying that at an interview.
So my question is what type of character does it take to get into Medicine at Oxbridge if there is one?

Smart people who score highly in the relevant exams (GCSEs for Oxford, AS for Cambridge, BMAT for both) and who impress the interviewers. As long as you are capable of having an academic discussion with adults, which is what the interviews are, being "quiet" is no reason to not apply.
(edited 10 years ago)
"The teachers see me as really quiet" username: notthatquiet, interesting.
Reply 4
Obviously, you're not going to get in. You need 14 A*s minimum at GCSE, at least 98.5% UMS average, near perfect BMAT, 6A*s and a* EPQ at A Level and finally you must have cured at least 17 types of cancer.

Edit: I mean, decent grades and decent interview. Damn autocorrect.
Reply 5
why do you need to make up your mind by next term? You're going to have to get great grades to get into any medical school, oxbridge or not. I'd say wait till you get your AS results before you make any decisions - you don't want to set your heart on it then be unable to apply. But with 10 A*s you're on your way there, especially because Oxford shortlists for interview based on percentage of A*s at gcse and bmat results. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by zebra_fish
why do you need to make up your mind by next term? You're going to have to get great grades to get into any medical school, oxbridge or not. I'd say wait till you get your AS results before you make any decisions - you don't want to set your heart on it then be unable to apply. But with 10 A*s you're on your way there, especially because Oxford shortlists for interview based on percentage of A*s at gcse and bmat results. Good luck! :smile:

Next term our school start preparing people who want to apply for Oxbridge so I would like to have made up my mind by then. Of course if my AS grades aren't great then I won't apply so I'll probably keep another uni in mind if that happens to be the case! Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
If you really want to apply to Oxbridge then go for it, you can always pick 3 other "safer" options ... if you don't try you will never know
Reply 8
Thank you everyone for the positive feedback! :smile: I dismissed the idea of applying to Oxbridge before the summer purely because I got put off by my tutor, but having seriously considered it myself for quite a while now I probably will apply should my AS grades allow me to :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by pgreg1
If you really want to apply to Oxbridge then go for it, you can always pick 3 other "safer" options ... if you don't try you will never know

When you say 'safer' are you referring to out of the Russell Group? Or are there some within the Russell Group that are 'easier' to get into than others?
Nobody. They don't even have medical schools. It's all a myth.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Ok, so I got 6A* 2A in GCSEs, 4As in O'Levels (A is the highest grade in O'levels) and A*AADbbb in A'Levels. Do I have any realistic chance of getting at least an Interview at Oxford? I think I can do pretty well at BMAT but just looking at my grades is it sensible applying there?
Reply 12
When you say 'safer' are you referring to out of the Russell Group? Or are there some within the Russell Group that are 'easier' to get into than others?

Most serious Oxbridge candidates will probably get offers for their 3/4 other choices, which tend to include at least 1 Russell group. Plus, the likes of QMUL are very easy to get in when put relative to the Oxbridge selection process.
So yes, some Russell group unis are easier to get into than others.
Original post by Tuya
Most serious Oxbridge candidates will probably get offers for their 3/4 other choices, which tend to include at least 1 Russell group. Plus, the likes of QMUL are very easy to get in when put relative to the Oxbridge selection process.
So yes, some Russell group unis are easier to get into than others.

This isn't necessarily true for medicine.
Reply 14

How "easy" a medical school is to get into depends on the strengths of your applications. you are more likely to get into certain medical schools if you have lots of A*s at GCSE because those medical schools favour A*s and therefore you are more likely (or in some cases, certain) to get an interview at these schools .... therefore increased likelihood of getting an offer "safer". for example, I applied to Cardiff (4 years ago) because I had a lot of A*s at GCSE and was confident that I would get an interview (which I did). likewise, if you get a high UKCAT score, some medical schools place a lot of emphasis on high UKCAT and so applying to these would be wise. that's what I mean by 'safer'.
Reply 15
Original post by PythianLegume
This isn't necessarily true for medicine.

I'll agree that Oxbridge serious medics don't necessarily get straight offers elsewhere, but I think the difference is not so high that it in fact be disregarded, after all, if you're good enough for one of the 2 most respected universities on the globe, you're probably going to be the same for those below it.
Original post by Tuya
I'll agree that Oxbridge serious medics don't necessarily get straight offers elsewhere, but I think the difference is not so high that it in fact be disregarded, after all, if you're good enough for one of the 2 most respected universities on the globe, you're probably going to be the same for those below it.

The difference is that medicine is based on so much more than grades, unlike most subjects.
Reply 17
Original post by PythianLegume
The difference is that medicine is based on so much more than grades, unlike most subjects.

Agreed. You probably know more about this than I do.
At the same time, I'd bank on someone averaging above 95% at AS to do very well in the UKCAT/BMAT as opposed to someone with ABBC
Original post by Tuya
Agreed. You probably know more about this than I do.
At the same time, I'd bank on someone averaging above 95% at AS to do very well in the UKCAT/BMAT as opposed to someone with ABBC

But then the vast majority of medical schools interview. And stuff like showing empathy, discussing ethical issues etc, can be rather subjective. So someone who is strong academically could potentially not be viewed as doing well there.
Reply 19
Oxford states on their website:

Our standard entrance requirements are:

3 A-levels, including:

Chemistry (compulsory) AND

At least one from Biology, Physics and Mathematics

Before the summer, when I checked they also had "and if you haven't taken either biology chemistry or physics to a level you need it to atleast gcse level" but I can't find that anywhere on the website anymore.

does this mean they no longer require gcse physics? (I mean knowing oxbridge this is pretty unlikely right? :P )

they haven't replied to my email yet, and I need to know soon :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending