The Student Room Group

Three years of A Levels, but I've met Oxford's requirements in two.

Hi, before I begin, I just want to point out that I don't intend for this thread to be another 'are my grades good enough' one!

Basically I had a change of heart during my time at sixth form as to the degree course I wish to study. After achieving 12A*s at GCSE, AAAAB at AS and AAA at A2 (from a school which unfortunately Ofsted describe as 'inadequate' - although I don't agree with this) I am now in the rather unusual position that because of my change of heart, I'm still in sixth form in Year 14 studying for more A Levels. My question is whether Oxford would frown upon my unusual approach and my application be disadvantaged as a result. I'm applying for History, and the History department do state 'the A2 levels need not be taken in the same academic year' so does this support my intentions? My further A Level study in this year consists of me taking an entire A Level in one year (which I'm predicted an A* in), attaining A2 Further Maths, retaking one Maths module and gaining an extra AS in a subject very much related to History.

So at the moment over the normal two years I have AAAab (this meets Oxford's AAA entry requirements), however at the end of this academic year, I am predicted to have A*A*AAAaa. Would I be disadvantaged for attaining this over three years in Oxford's eyes rather than two?

Historically, I am also tutoring History students and engaging in wider reading during Year 14.

Thanks for reading this, any responses will be greatly appreciated!
I think it's worth applying, get your referee to specifically mention that you got the grades required in you first 2 years. I left one 6th form halfway through year 12 (I'd sat both AS exams for 1 subject in January) and then had to start my AS levels again at a different college as my family moved, so I sort of did my exams over 3 years but I did 3 full A-levels and a couple of AS levels in the last 2 years, so I met the entry requirements in 2 years. Hope that makes sense, I'm starting at Oxford next month :smile: I don't think it will count against you staying on and doing extra subjects. Good luck x
Reply 2
Original post by Umbro
Hi, before I begin, I just want to point out that I don't intend for this thread to be another 'are my grades good enough' one!

Basically I had a change of heart during my time at sixth form as to the degree course I wish to study. After achieving 12A*s at GCSE, AAAAB at AS and AAA at A2 (from a school which unfortunately Ofsted describe as 'inadequate' - although I don't agree with this) I am now in the rather unusual position that because of my change of heart, I'm still in sixth form in Year 14 studying for more A Levels. My question is whether Oxford would frown upon my unusual approach and my application be disadvantaged as a result. I'm applying for History, and the History department do state 'the A2 levels need not be taken in the same academic year' so does this support my intentions? My further A Level study in this year consists of me taking an entire A Level in one year (which I'm predicted an A* in), attaining A2 Further Maths, retaking one Maths module and gaining an extra AS in a subject very much related to History.

So at the moment over the normal two years I have AAAab (this meets Oxford's AAA entry requirements), however at the end of this academic year, I am predicted to have A*A*AAAaa. Would I be disadvantaged for attaining this over three years in Oxford's eyes rather than two?

Historically, I am also tutoring History students and engaging in wider reading during Year 14.

Thanks for reading this, any responses will be greatly appreciated!

Hi there,
Congratulations on your results. You certainly have the right grade profile. Personally, I think that you'd stand a very good chance. People do have changes of heart and the department tends to acknowledge that, although you might be asked to justify why you've changed your mind over interview. But certainly apply, I don't think you'd be disadvantaged whatsoever - what they really care about is whether you've got the academic potential to excel on the course and the same genuine passion and excitement for History that the tutors themselves have. If you can prove that then you'll be fine. On an anecdotal level, I know an Oxford student (not for History), that took a year out for health problems, restarting lower sixth/year 12 the following year. Spending an extra year at school didn't disadvantage him at all.

Out of interest, might I ask what you originally wanted to do and why you've changed?
Which colleges are you looking at?

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending