The Student Room Group

At university do you have to do presentations?!?

So apparently at university you have to do PRESENTATIONS to like 300 people ERMAHGERD WUT

The thought of this terrifies me, I once did a presentation at school to my class of 10 and I freaked out and choked and what not I couldn't do it I was so embarrassed afterwards and wanted to cry (well I actually did) because then my teacher absolutely humiliated me and said I was reading off my cards and that I will have a 0 in my coursework because of this in front of my whole class and to top that off 4 girls in my class had stopped being my friend and it was a sensitive time and to be humiliated like that infront of them ugh just made it 1000x worse (GCSE English)

anyway I haven't had good experiences with presentations and things and I just cannot do presentations to complete strangers at uni

do I HAVE to?! will it be to like 300 400 500 600 how many hundred people there?!?! I suffer from anxiety attacks and have been since I was little and I am not on medication but currently receiving CBT and just thinking about this gets my anxiety going >.<
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You might have to deliver short introduction to a topic to your tutorial class - probably max 20 people. Its like reading out a brief essay to a bunch of mates and nothing to get worked up about.
Reply 2
It's like 50 people max, and even that's pretty high.
Original post by PrivateSchoolFTW
So apparently at university you have to do PRESENTATIONS to like 300 people ERMAHGERD WUT

The thought of this terrifies me, I once did a presentation at school to my class of 10 and I freaked out and choked and what not I couldn't do it I was so embarrassed afterwards and wanted to cry (well I actually did) because then my teacher absolutely humiliated me and said I was reading off my cards and that I will have a 0 in my coursework because of this in front of my whole class and to top that off 4 girls in my class had stopped being my friend and it was a sensitive time and to be humiliated like that infront of them ugh just made it 1000x worse (GCSE English)

anyway I haven't had good experiences with presentations and things and I just cannot do presentations to complete strangers at uni

do I HAVE to?! will it be to like 300 400 500 600 how many hundred people there?!?! I suffer from anxiety attacks and have been since I was little and I am not on medication but currently receiving CBT and just thinking about this gets my anxiety going >.<

yes it is possible to do a presentation for around that many people I don't know if students can get away with not doing it, maybe if you have a doctor's note saying about anxiety they might let you off. in my uni, presentation is generally 50% of the module grade so can't not do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Different courses/modules/unis do things differently but you will almost certainly have to give some kind of presentation whilst your there, though (for my course anyway) it's only to ~20 people or less in seminar groups, not hundreds!

I gave 2 10min presentations in my first year, one to 5 people and one to around 15. Also, tutors usually give feedback privately over email or something rather than announcing it to the class. Try not to stress too much, none of the other students will be judging you 'cause they'll be worrying about their own presentations :smile:
Reply 5
Small groups, it's impractical to have 100+ people all giving 10 minute powerpoints to eachother.
Original post by PrivateSchoolFTW

It really does depend on the uni and the course. I didn't have to any presentations in my first year, but in my second year i do! :frown: I have anxiety too but it's only in front of my seminar class of 20 people. In 2nd and 3rd year, you might get to choose your modules, so just choose modules that don't require presentations.
Reply 7
I think most courses will include a presentation at some point, and to be honest, it's a key skill in both academia and professional life imo, so I'd support that.

In front of how many people? Well that will depend. I've only ever had to do a presentation to about 30-40 people.
Reply 8
Maybe we're the exception but we did used to do presentations to a whole module, as a group, which was sometimes 200-300 people. I know my gf did them regularly to half her year, of 400, too.

Anyway, yeah you'll be doing some presentations.
Smallish audiences < 50 as others have said.
Use the opportunity to learn and practice at uni as I doubt there is a decent grad scheme in the country that does not assess the candidates via a presentation.
It is also normally part of the selection process for most professional positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For my course we have to do a presentation to our tutorial group. Mine is a few months away and I have really bad anxiety/panic attacks too so I'm already stressing out over the thought of it eek. I doubt you'll have to do them to hundreds though.
Unless you're doing a course in which presentation skills are a core module I doubt you'd have to do a presentation to more than about 15 people. If you're nervous about doing presentations, listen to John Lee Hooker and drink 5 cans of Stella within a 2 hour period before the presentation and you will be so far from nervous you may even be over confident.
Don't worry, your lecturers will inform you about the topics and how to approach your presentation. On the day you should generally feel prepared to present:smile: Nerves can sometimes bring out the best in you, so try do use it to your advantage!
Original post by Shaun1991
Unless you're doing a course in which presentation skills are a core module I doubt you'd have to do a presentation to more than about 15 people. If you're nervous about doing presentations, listen to John Lee Hooker and drink 5 cans of Stella within a 2 hour period before the presentation and you will be so far from nervous you may even be over confident.

Ah I don't drink (religious reasons) so unfortunately that would not help
But I am sure I would have thought of this before hand if I did drink ahaha
It's pretty impractical to have large groups of people all giving presentations to each other, so it's usually small groups, or just to the lecturers. Anxiety is awful, but this is something you'll have to do in basically any job, so it would be a really good idea to try and get over this, with therapy if needed.

Often presentations are done in small groups- would having your friends for moral support help?

Another thing I've had to do at university (which you might want to be aware of) is poster presentations. This is similar to what might happen at a research conference (according to my lecturers anyway) where each person/group produces a scientific poster and the lecturers (and other students) come around and look at them and ask you questions about your poster. You're not talking directly to a group, but you're in a group environment and if you don't like public speaking it might be something that might be an issue for you? When I've done this, it's been in rooms of 50-60 people, but you're usually only talking to 1-3 people at a time.

You might be able to get some kind of special consideration, or be let off with extenuating circumstances, depending on your university. Considering the seriousness of your anxiety, it might be worth contacting university welfare/disability teams and asking what support (in general) would be available to you.
Reply 15
I did 3. One on the 1979 Iranian revolution, the conflict between the secular and religious political forces in Israel and the last about gaps in post 1990s democratization.
Reply 16
Yes, probably at some point, but confidence is key. The best way to gain confidence (and general presentation skills) is by practising!
I used to hate public speaking of any kind. Today I spoke to about a hundred people without batting an eyelid, I wouldn't have been able to do that three years ago!
Original post by Manitude
Yes, probably at some point, but confidence is key. The best way to gain confidence (and general presentation skills) is by practising!
I used to hate public speaking of any kind. Today I spoke to about a hundred people without batting an eyelid, I wouldn't have been able to do that three years ago!

How did you done that. Please give me some advice. Hoping to hear from you. Thank you very much.
Reply 18
Original post by amypham4142
How did you done that. Please give me some advice. Hoping to hear from you. Thank you very much.

This is 5 years old, please check thread dates before posting.
it's alright people saying don't worry about it when they don't suffer from anxiety/ social anxiety.I currently do CBT also and have a upcoming assignment for a presentation /seminar at college (higher ed health proff so i can do paramedic science next year)my therapist is hopefully talking to me next time how I can physically do mine.. I have to do mine infront of about 30 people in my group? even still I have the sick feeling and fairness thinking about it. I wouldn't mind the lecturer and 1 person I talk to bit even still..

Latest

Trending

Trending