The Student Room Group

Uni Study In the UK or Finland?

Hi all!

I was hoping to get some opinions / suggestions / advice about uni choices.

I'm currently studying Computing at college and my course is finishing in 2014. As such I'm applying for HE courses, also looking to do Computing. I'm currently living in England, but I'm actually from Finland and have a Finnish passport.

Here's my problem: should I study in England or Finland?

I'm looking at 2 unis specifically right now - one in the UK and one in Finland.
No matter what I'm applying for both, but assuming I get offers from both of them, I'm not completely settled on which I would choose.

Here's my list of pros and cons for each.

UK UNI

Pros

Course - The course I'm looking at is PERFECT so I'm very confident that I'd enjoy it. :moon:
Been there, seen it - I've visited the uni on an Open Day and seen the campus and facilities. I really liked the place and think they are a good place to study.
Eligible for help - I'll have lived in the UK for 3 years before my course starts so I know I'll be eligible for financial assistance.
Employment - I'm relatively confident that I'd be able to find employment within 6 months of graduating.

Cons

Debt - I'd graduate with like a £35K debt!! :frown:
Future? - I'm not completely sure that I'll want to live the rest of my life in England. As such, I'm not sure if it would be better to do my study abroad.
Quality - As far as I've heard, statistically the Finnish educational system is ranked higher than the English. Even my tutor, who studied a year in Finland when she was in uni as an exchange student, says that it's much better over there. So if I stayed, would I be paying a lot more when the grass is greener and cheaper on the other side?

FINNISH UNI

Pros

Home - I'd be going back home to Finland to study which I'm REEEEALLY looking forward to! Because I REEEEALLY miss Finland!! :dance:
Cheaper - As far as I know, the tuition is free and I'd only have to pay for my living expenses. I'm guestimating that I wouldn't have any debt or very little debt upon graduation.
Course - The course they offer sounds like it will give my a more well-rounded skill-set.
Vantage point - If I choose to move back to Finland permanently, it will be much easier getting a job and a place to live if I'm already there, as opposed to being in England.

Cons

Longer - The course is 4 years long, as opposed to the 3 years that the UK course would be.
Unfamiliar - I've not been to the university or the area before personally so I have no first-hand knowledge about it or their facilities. I've read some good reviews about it, including that in a recent study of universities in Finland, this one came out as the best. I'm also confident about travelling in Finland and am not against the idea of studying in an unfamiliar place (I think it will broaden my horizons).
Uncertain of eligibility for help - Even though I'm a national, I'm not 100% sure that I'd qualify for financial assistance as my permanent address is abroad and I've not lived in Finland in a long time.
Will I regret? - I'm not absolutely sure I won't regret not choosing the ideal UK uni course, although I'm also not sure that I will regret it either.
Uncertain employment - I've been away from Finland for a while, so I'm not so confident that I'd be able to secure full-time employment as I am with England.

So there, this is the dilemma I'm stewing over.
Again I am definitely applying for both, and of course if I don't get accepted into one or the other (or either) the arguments are moot.

But for now I'd be ever so greatful for opinions and advice from anyone who cares to comment!

What would you do in this situation?

~ She Who Walks Alone
Reply 1
hi! I'm from Indonesia. hope you know where is it.
Next year I passed my high school and study at university. I prefer to choose Finland> but I dont know how to apply it. any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending