The Student Room Group

Best Universities + Courses for IB

Scroll to see replies

Original post by johnbridges11
I'm UCL.

I definitely know of Loughborough FO summer analysts, so there is a chance! Like I said, if you want it you can get it - just get good grades and show good motivation for the industry. And have fun!

That is all..
Reply 21
Original post by nju
For IB the best universities are Oxford,Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial (in no particular order)

After that I think Nottingham, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St Andrews (in no particular order) but I probably missed some universities

St Andrews? Isn't that a bit far away from most financial institutions to be plausible?
Reply 22
Original post by nju
For IB the best universities are Oxford,Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial (in no particular order)

After that I think Nottingham, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, St Andrews (in no particular order) but I probably missed some universities

Would I stand a better chance for FO with Industrial Econ from Notts?
Original post by LeBron96
I'm currently in year 13 in sixth form and I take A2 Maths, Biology and Chemistry alongside ifs Finance and EPQ (if that counts). I'm predicted AAB with A in maths but I think I could push it to an A*. The universities I am looking at are:

Loughborough - Financial Mathematics
Surrey - Financial Mathematics
Edinburgh - Economics + Mathematics
Exeter - Maths, Finance + Management
Heriot Watt - Financial Mathematics
Nottingham - Financial Mathematics

Can someone advise me whether these are respectable for IB or Trading? If not, which unis/courses could I look to apply for to get a front office IB (hopefully) or middle office IB job?

Agree with everything here - but head to Nottz... Great M:F ratio and all the top firms come for milkround.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by WallStreetWolf
Agree with everything here - but head to Nottz... Great M:F ratio and all the top firms come for milkround.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha!

I was thinking of adding QMUL (Econonmics and Finance) to my list, what do you think about that?
Haha!

I was thinking of adding QMUL (Econonmics and Finance) to my list, what do you think about that?

I'd substitute QMUL for Surrey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by WallStreetWolf
I'd substitute QMUL for Surrey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think I'll do that. My only worry is that like 90% of my personal statement is about Maths. :/
I'm currently in year 13 in sixth form and I take A2 Maths, Biology and Chemistry alongside ifs Finance and EPQ (if that counts). I'm predicted AAB with A in maths but I think I could push it to an A*. The universities I am looking at are:

Loughborough - Financial Mathematics
Surrey - Financial Mathematics
Edinburgh - Economics + Mathematics
Exeter - Maths, Finance + Management
Heriot Watt - Financial Mathematics
Nottingham - Financial Mathematics

Can someone advise me whether these are respectable for IB or Trading? If not, which unis/courses could I look to apply for to get a front office IB (hopefully) or middle office IB job?

Considering your grades your best bet is Nottingham or Loughborough.
Reply 28
CASS Imperial London Met
Reply 29
Original post by massylib
CASS Imperial London Met

London Met? No offense to anyone, but you can't put Imperial and London Met in the same category!
Reply 30
Hi again, just to bump this thread, didn't want to start a new one sorry. I've changed from applying for Financial Mathematics to Economics/Industrial Economics. So far my choices are:

LSE - Econ and Econ History (AAB. Yes I know what you think - but I phoned the admissions tutor and she said they would overlook my GCSEs and give me the benefit of the doubt for my AS Grades due to mitigating circumstances. So it's worth a shot.)
Manchester - Bsc Economics (AAB)
Nottingham - BA Industrial Economics (AAB)
Edinburgh - Bsc Economics (AAA-BBB)
Kent - Bsc Economics (ABB)

Has anyone got any views for Industrial Econ, are my IB prospects hindered by any chance? Also, which of these universities are most lenient towards predicted/achieved grades?

PS - For the mitigating circumstances, I had to self-teach 6 GCSEs in two months including Maths, Chem, Bio, English Language/Lit. So I had a lack of AS Level background knowledge etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Bump.
Reply 32
There should be a disclaimer on the Investment banking & consultancy forum board with this message..
Original post by johnbridges11
Just remember that university will be the best years of your life so don't just focus on what you think will get you into a banking job.
Chances are that, if you go somewhere that will suit your interests and hobbies, you'll develop into a better candidate than those who are already pigeonholing themselves into a banking job while studying for their A-Levels!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending