The Student Room Group

alternative ways to do medicine and become a doctor?

Hi, so my friend wants to be a doctor reaaaally much so and she's kindof giving up because she doesn't think it's realistic and just applying for a pharmacy degree. I firmly believe there's always another way, so I just wanted to ask you guys for other possible ways.
So for GCSE she got I think around 4A*s and 1 A including maths and sciences and B's. For AS level results she got ABB including maths, chemistry and biology and a C in psychology which she dropped. She's predicted AAB for A2. Is there any other routes she could take which she can become a doctor by the end of it? Any advice would be appreciated
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Graduate entry - Graduate from 1 degree and then apply to a medicine degree
Get a 2:1 or above in a degree such as biomedicine, biochemistry etc and many others and you can apply to medicine in your last year of your degree and do your ukcat.
It's hard but thats the next way to do it.

Otherwise people study in European countries such as Bulgaria where the entry requirements for medicine are BBB
The most straightforward approach would simply be to apply to medical school. With AAB predictions she could apply to HYMS this year. If that isn't successful, then if she achieves AAA next summer a gap year and reapplying would be the most sensible route. Graduate entry should be reserved for if she doesn't get the appropriate grades to be admitted as a school leaver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending