The Student Room Group

I don't have anything to lose do I?

I've been searching for a job now for like 4 years. I am simply unemployable, I have 0 skills, 0 grades, 0 references and I literally just cannot be hired. So I've been thinking, instead of giving honest but slightly exaggerated skills on my CV, why not just go balls out and lie my face off?

I'm at the perfect time when I can lie and say I left school, did my a-levels and went to uni and it would all tie up nicely with my age. I know it's unethical but there simply is no way out of this loop of employers wanting references and experience. Not some guy who hasn't had a job sinse leaving school.

End of the day I could just get a fake degree certificate, create a fake CV and if I get caught, then so be it, I don't get the job, it wasn't like I was going to get it anyway. If they don't check and I do ok in the interview then awesome, I've just got a job.

From what I understand as long as you look the part, talk the talk and act like you know what the hell it is you're going on about, you're more likely to have an employer just believe you.

I'd say my degree was in something neutral like history and then my options for jobs are very wide open. Because the jobs I'd be applying for are not going to ask for a specific type of degree, just that they want a degree student I think I could just pull it off.

Like I said I have nothing to lose, if they find out I lied then they don't employ me, I might get a warning from the police for lying but I doubt it, and if they don't check, then I land a job.

Seems ok right?
(edited 10 years ago)
Why don't you invent yourself a life at the same time?
Is this a joke? Don't do this... Just get nicely dressed-up in a 3-piece suit and write an honest CV, go to meet a potential employer, stand tall and speak the speak. (Maybe play some bad-ass music via headphones as you enter (first impressions), so you're ready and rockin'... Then -boom- you have yourself a job at McDonald's.
Original post by M. de Barthe
Is this a joke? Don't do this... Just get nicely dressed-up in a 3-piece suit and write an honest CV, go to meet a potential employer, stand tall and speak the speak. (Maybe play some bad-ass music via headphones as you enter (first impressions), so you're ready and rockin'... Then -boom- you have yourself a job at McDonald's.

Mcdonalds ask for 2 references from work / school.
An honest CV based on my work / school history is not worth the paper it is written on.
Potential employers don't exist for me, sinse I don't ever get an interview.

I applied to mcdonalds 3 times this year and was unsuccessful everytime. I have nothing to lose by trying the method I suggested. It's unethical yes, but if it finally gets me a job then you got to do what you have to do.
Reply 4
Do it. I'm a lot more qualified than you yet I'm finding that employers are still not interested in me. I got a C at GCSE English Language yet so many employers are asking for a B. I guarantee that my English Language level is better than a B at GCSE. I have knuckled down a lot since my GCSEs eight years ago, yet employers don't want to know. They want to know I've got a B. So, what have I got to lose? I'll just say I've got a B on my CV. There's no other option. They'll either hire me or they won't.
Reply 5
Have you had any jobs during those 4 years? :hmmm: There are many ways to get experience, skills and qualifications, just raise your bum and go out there!
Reply 6
omg have you been lying around for 4 years doing nothing and being on benefits? thats a disgrace for a young person.

there are many jobs that dont even require experience just personality. Indeed & reed is your best friend
Reply 7
One potential thing to lose is that, however low the chance, they could call the police as it is fraud. Whether or not you care about ethical considerations, I assume you would wish to avoid criminal prosecution.
Get a job as a pot wash. I'm a waitress and a lot of the chefs, and even my manager, started out as a pot wash. Just keep you head down and work hard

Latest

Trending

Trending