The Student Room Group

Which foreign language wuld you recommend a prospec Law student& futu lawyer to take

Sorry about the abbreviations, I just needed a scheme to make the question fit.
Reply 1
Depends on firm but obviously French, German, Spanish etc. will always be useful, but lots have them.

More exotically Mandarin, Russian or Arabic maybe.
Reply 2
Original post by roh
Depends on firm but obviously French, German, Spanish etc. will always be useful, but lots have them.

More exotically Mandarin, Russian or Arabic maybe.

So, the connotative meaning from what you have said is: That in the top firms all lawyers have a extra language,other than English that they know proficiently , especially French, German, Spanish ?.

Is that correct?. If yes, do you think you are educated and informed to the point where you can recommend one language that will hold me in good stead as a law student and a top lawyer in the job market?
Original post by Jasmine1992
So, the connotative meaning from what you have said is...

perhaps English?
One of the influential languages: french, german, spanish.
Reply 5
Original post by cambio wechsel
perhaps English?

Too late, already studying that :biggrin::smile:.
The irony. Didn't you mean: Perhaps English?- basic punctuation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Too late, already studying that :biggrin::smile:.

nice one cyril. What's the context to your question?

I mean, if you've arrived at university to discover you have in year 1 to take 90 minutes fortnightly of non-credit whatsit in the language lab then there's no sense in doing Mandarin: you'd do well to get to the point where you could order breakfast.
Reply 7
So, the connotative meaning from what you have said is: That in the top firms all lawyers have a extra language,other than English that they know proficiently , especially French, German, Spanish ?.

Is that correct?. If yes, do you think you are educated and informed to the point where you can recommend one language that will hold me in good stead as a law student and a top lawyer in the job market?

No, in Britain it is perfectly possible to work in international law without speaking two languages. What I meant was that top firms will have plenty of speakers of those languages to draw upon should they need to.

Define correct? I know French is useful, as that was my degree so obviously it came up at interview. In terms of a single language? No, not sure anyone could, as the sector you wish to work in will have a big impact. If it's energy then Arabic or Russian, corporate can be aided by the language of any major economic power, Greek is quite useful for shipping apparently etc.
Reply 8
Original post by cambio wechsel
nice one cyril. What's the context to your question?

I mean, if you've arrived at university to discover you have in year 1 to take 90 minutes fortnightly of non-credit whatsit in the language lab then there's no sense in doing Mandarin: you'd do well to get to the point where you could order breakfast.

I don't start University till next year. I am currently working and want to learn in my year out.
Reply 9
I don't start University till next year. I am currently working and want to learn in my year out.

If you do want to get good at a language just go there for the year, there is nothing even close to it in terms of getting you towards fluency. I learnt as much French in a year in France as I did in 3 years degree back here.
Reply 10
Whatever you will study hard in. Pick a language for the right reasons; fall in love with one & then go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending