The Student Room Group

Population Distribution

Hey so I have to research a densely populated country to use as a case study and I've chosen Japan.

But I was wondering does anyone know why Japan has the population distribution it has (a majority of people live in urban areas) ...

All I can find is due to the relief and climate but I can't find any human factors ...
Reply 1
Maybe the large proportion of elderly people? Hard for them to move...

Btw love the OM&M reference :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Squidgy
Hey so I have to research a densely populated country to use as a case study and I've chosen Japan.

But I was wondering does anyone know why Japan has the population distribution it has (a majority of people live in urban areas) ...

All I can find is due to the relief and climate but I can't find any human factors ...

- small island
- History of thinking they are the better people, that Japan is the best country and we are the best. They have somekind of manifest with there plans to rule there world.
- High GDP, High HDi means people live longer, Japan has oldest population in the world.
Reply 3
Perhaps with the high technological prowess there's rural depopulation: where all the young people in rural areas move to the city for high-flying corporate jobs within the big shiny skyscrapers and such! Also it means people immigrate to live in the urban areas
Reply 4
Original post by AKell17
Maybe the large proportion of elderly people? Hard for them to move...

Btw love the OM&M reference :smile:

Original post by AKell17
Perhaps with the high technological prowess there's rural depopulation: where all the young people in rural areas move to the city for high-flying corporate jobs within the big shiny skyscrapers and such! Also it means people immigrate to live in the urban areas

Ok thanks, these make sense and fit the point I have to make ... Think I'm going to have to reword it though hehe "big shiny skyscrapers and such" :tongue:

And woo, I think you're the first person on here who's actually got the reference :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by wartortle
- small island
- History of thinking they are the better people, that Japan is the best country and we are the best. They have somekind of manifest with there plans to rule there world.
- High GDP, High HDi means people live longer, Japan has oldest population in the world.

Thanks for these ideas :smile:
Jobs, facilities, transport and probably a few others that I can't think of

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Squidgy
Ok thanks, these make sense and fit the point I have to make ... Think I'm going to have to reword it though hehe "big shiny skyscrapers and such" :tongue:

And woo, I think you're the first person on here who's actually got the reference :smile:

Rephrase big shiny skyscrapers? I'll have you know that's the technical term :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by AKell17
Rephrase big shiny skyscrapers? I'll have you know that's the technical term :biggrin:

Fine then, seeing as you are a reliable source, I'll take your word for it and include it in my homework :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest