The Student Room Group

How strong feelings do you get for people you're not actually with yet?

I always develop very strong feelings for guys before even knowing if they like me back. It makes it difficult because I end up getting really nervous so can't be myself. I've never been in a relationship though so maybe this is why. Do you find that once you've had one relationship you don't get attached prematurely as much?
Reply 1
I think I'm a little bit like you. I randomly develop a strong crush on a random person I never even speak to, sometimes.
Yep, just been saying to my housemate how much more pragmatic I am about my abundant actor crushes than I am about real guys. :lol:
Original post by aaasss
Do you find that once you've had one relationship you don't get attached prematurely as much?

Once you've had a relationship, you don't get prematurely attached to people you haven't slept with.
Reply 4
Original post by aaasss
I always develop very strong feelings for guys before even knowing if they like me back. It makes it difficult because I end up getting really nervous so can't be myself. I've never been in a relationship though so maybe this is why. Do you find that once you've had one relationship you don't get attached prematurely as much?

No, I think it's because you've never felt what 'strong feelings' actually mean, because you've never actually been in a relationship.

It's normal for you to act nervous around your crush. Once you've had a relationship, you'll get more confident about this.
You will still get attached to your crush prematurely, but you know how to handle your emotions and know that it's not actually as 'strong' as you think.
Reply 5
Original post by 1st Love
No, I think it's because you've never felt what 'strong feelings' actually mean, because you've never actually been in a relationship.

It's normal for you to act nervous around your crush. Once you've had a relationship, you'll get more confident about this.
You will still get attached to your crush prematurely, but you know how to handle your emotions and know that it's not actually as 'strong' as you think.

You say it's not "strong" but I've had crushes where it was literally all I ever thought about and when they got a girlfriend I was so upset that I was miserable for months to the extent that I couldn't do any school work and my grades were affected. I'd hate to think what I'd be like if I was ever actually dumped! I'm probably just crazy though :frown:

This was a few years ago though, I seem to get less strong feelings as I get older
Reply 6
Original post by aaasss
You say it's not "strong" but I've had crushes where it was literally all I ever thought about and when they got a girlfriend I was so upset that I was miserable for months to the extent that I couldn't do any school work and my grades were affected. I'd hate to think what I'd be like if I was ever actually dumped! I'm probably just crazy though :frown:

This was a few years ago though, I seem to get less strong feelings as I get older

Yea, I'd hate to see what you'd be like if you were dumped.

I'll tell you, I've gone through the same thing, and I guess you should be aware so you don't make the same mistakes I made.

I got really attached to this girl in high school and lost track of schoolwork for a few months when I found out she got a boyfriend. I got back on track, and went to university. Here at uni, I got a girlfriend. It was the first time I've ever been attached to anyone. I was overly clingy, and she broke up with me, and I couldn't handle it. I was suicidal for a few months, pushed all my friends away and failed 2 of my papers, and now can't get into Medicine.
Maybe you have the same issues as me, unloved as a kid and can't handle strong emotions of attachment.

Whatever you do though, don't let someone get in the way of your career/education choice. So much regret for me there.
Reply 7
Original post by 1st Love
Yea, I'd hate to see what you'd be like if you were dumped.

I'll tell you, I've gone through the same thing, and I guess you should be aware so you don't make the same mistakes I made.

I got really attached to this girl in high school and lost track of schoolwork for a few months when I found out she got a boyfriend. I got back on track, and went to university. Here at uni, I got a girlfriend. It was the first time I've ever been attached to anyone. I was overly clingy, and she broke up with me, and I couldn't handle it. I was suicidal for a few months, pushed all my friends away and failed 2 of my papers, and now can't get into Medicine.
Maybe you have the same issues as me, unloved as a kid and can't handle strong emotions of attachment.

Whatever you do though, don't let someone get in the way of your career/education choice. So much regret for me there.

Thanks for replying, I'm very sorry to hear your relationship messed up your education. Have you tried telling the uni you were suffering from depression when you failed? Since by the sound of it that's pretty much what that was and they let you repeat the year if you have physical illnesses so mental ones shouldn't be any different.

I wouldn't say I have issues such as being unloved, I'm just overly emotional. Which I wish I could change but I don't know how to without cutting off all emotions altogether
Reply 8
I tend not to get attached at all for a long time although my ex-girlfriend said she really liked me ages before I even knew who she was which was kind of weird for me but I assume it's kind of normal for girls who haven't been in relationships before.
Reply 9
I think it's perfectly possible to fall completely in love with someone you're not in a relationship with. It's not happened to me personally but I don't see why it couldn't. Feelings are essentially driven subconsciously - it's not like your subconscious knows or cares whether you're in a relationship with them yet, it just wants to be around that person.
Reply 10
I used to be a bit like this until I had my first boyfriend. I find now that I dont tend to get overly attached to people I am not with because its a waste of emotion.
I feel when I am actually with someone they soak up those feelings of attachment, and when you break up you cant get those feelinf back. So I try hold on to those feeling so I don't waste anymore than necessary!
Original post by MostUncivilised
Once you've had a relationship, you don't get prematurely attached to people you haven't slept with.

I really wish this had been the case was me!!
[edit] with me!
Reply 13
I definitely do this. Might be because I haven't had a relationship yet I guess, I dunno! But nah I reckon I'd probably do it anyway, I always get attached to people too quickly when I don't even really know them, because you create a version of a potential them in your mind...and then I feel ridiculous when I realise that I don't even know if they are actually like that at all. I think quite a lot of people are probably the same though, its probably quite normal?
I've had this with one person, no chance of ever getting with him though.
Reply 15
Original post by squealia
I used to be a bit like this until I had my first boyfriend. I find now that I dont tend to get overly attached to people I am not with because its a waste of emotion.
I feel when I am actually with someone they soak up those feelings of attachment, and when you break up you cant get those feelinf back. So I try hold on to those feeling so I don't waste anymore than necessary!

You're right, it really is such a waste of emotion! But how do you stop yourself doing it?
Reply 16
Original post by lenaspark
I definitely do this. Might be because I haven't had a relationship yet I guess, I dunno! But nah I reckon I'd probably do it anyway, I always get attached to people too quickly when I don't even really know them, because you create a version of a potential them in your mind...and then I feel ridiculous when I realise that I don't even know if they are actually like that at all. I think quite a lot of people are probably the same though, its probably quite normal?

I'd like to think it's normal! It definitely doesn't happen to everyone though, some of my friends will be talking about one guy one for a few weeks and then when they realise it's not going to happen they'll maybe be a little bit disappointed but then they're quickly forget about them and find someone else to focus on. I really wish I was like that!
Reply 17
Original post by aaasss
You're right, it really is such a waste of emotion! But how do you stop yourself doing it?

I think its just something you learn eventually. Then you wish you could still feel the these things about random people because then you know you can still feel like that! Just embrace it for now! Its all a learning curve! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending