The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

before people start.....don't shout at him/her for being a smoker...or saying "well don't smoke then".

lets have some objective answers as to the effect without bashing smokers.

in my opinion...it probably will exacerbate your cough...but i have no real idea.
have u seen a doc about the cough as thats quite a while to have it
Reply 3
gem_77
have u seen a doc about the cough as thats quite a while to have it

yeah, back in april, he gave me some liquid medicine but it didn't do a thing.

and thanks random_guy for the input. Anyone else know? maybe someone who smokes? (both kinds)
Reply 4
Smoking with a cough is a bad idea. The smoke can aggravate it and might make it last longer.
I agree for the meantime don't smoke. i have a bad cold/cough right now and tried to carry on smoking but it ust made me feel worse so imleaving it till im feeling better. if te cough still persists in a week or so then go back to your doctor as you may need to try other antbiotics etc
Reply 6
This thread is absolutely stupid.
This is like me saying i just headbutted the wall and my head hurts, should i wait for my head to stop hurting or is it ok to headbutt the wall again now.

Point is, cough or no cough, you should quit smokeing!
Reply 8
Anonymous
I got tonsillitis and a really bad cough during easter holiday, tonsillitis has gone but still got the cough now. Would it be ok to smoke or would that just make it worse?

yeah, I realise this probably sounds stupid, but I figured that if the cough hasn't gone away since easter then smoking now isn't going to change that?

Well its not going to help is it:rolleyes:
Reply 9
*titanium*
This is like me saying i just headbutted the wall and my head hurts, should i wait for my head to stop hurting or is it ok to headbutt the wall again now.

Point is, cough or no cough, you should quit smokeing!

Nah its nothing like that if smoking didn't cause the cough.
Reply 10
In the short term - you'll feel better. you want nicoteen

Whenever Im sick I just go with the menthols and smoke away!
Coughing is basically a defence mechanism and reflex action of the body to expel something from the lungs or respiratory passages that is not wanted and you have had an infection so your body will be trying to clear itself of it. By smoking you are breathing in chemicals and tar which coats itself onto cilia cells reducing their function of bringing up unwanted dust and dirt which are breathed in. So your lungs are very vulnerable to all the bacteria and viruses that lurk about which is not good when you are trying to fight an infection already!

I seriously would not recommened smoking but if you have to I would take a vitamin c and zinc supplement. Vitamin C is is reduced in smokers and is an important antioxidant.

At the end of the day it is up to the individual. We are all presented with the facts now and are free to make our own choice on the matter. The warnings on the side of the fag packets are a good indicator to follow and so are the prices!!
Reply 12
Riddy
Well its not going to help is it:rolleyes:

yeah it might not help but I'm wondering if it would make it significantly worse.

*titanium* I'm fairly certain that it weren't caused by smoking.

why's everyone got such a huge problem with smoking anyhow. :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Chlo
Coughing is basically a defence mechanism and reflex action of the body to expel something from the lungs or respiratory passages that is not wanted and you have had an infection so your body will be trying to clear itself of it. By smoking you are breathing in chemicals and tar which coats itself onto cilia cells reducing their function of bringing up unwanted dust and dirt which are breathed in. So your lungs are very vulnerable to all the bacteria and viruses that lurk about which is not good when you are trying to fight an infection already!

I seriously would not recommened smoking but if you have to I would take a vitamin c and zinc supplement. Vitamin C is is reduced in smokers and is an important antioxidant.

At the end of the day it is up to the individual. We are all presented with the facts now and are free to make our own choice on the matter. The warnings on the side of the fag packets are a good indicator to follow and so are the prices!!

ok, thanks for the info.

I will smoke but eat some oranges too to maybe get better. cheers.

Emmalina
In the short term - you'll feel better. you want nicoteen

Whenever Im sick I just go with the menthols and smoke away!

menthols? ergh. :p:
Reply 14
oh *******s.
Reply 15
thud! well i never... communists dont smoke do they? :confused:
(he doesnt need help giving up smoking! sorry but random_bloke hit the nail on the head, thats not what hes asking is it?)

ive never had a cough that bad but from my experience id say having one now and again isnt gonna make your cough painfully worse. Maybe if youre going out and smoking/being around smoke all night it might start to hurt quite bad.

You should get the cough checked out anyway. If it hasnt gone away after this long you need to see a doctor mate
Reply 17
halfoflessthan50p: righto, cheers.

I might do, not a fan of doctors. but if the vitamin c thing doesn't work I'll give it a shot.

Evil-Tuna
thud! well i never... communists dont smoke do they? :confused:

er....that really was rather dim. :redface:

and yeah, rollups. Try not to feed the capitalist machine.

and thanks for the advice [some of you anyway].
Reply 18
Anonymous
yeah it might not help but I'm wondering if it would make it significantly worse.

*titanium* I'm fairly certain that it weren't caused by smoking.

why's everyone got such a huge problem with smoking anyhow. :rolleyes:

Yea it will probably make it harder for your lungs to get rid of the mucus ..probably. Why don't you cut down until the cough as gone (or if possible for ever). I have a problem with it as its just stupid I believe everyone can quit if they try hard enough.
Reply 19
here... i'll give u an example...

I had tonsilitus for AGES I'm talking weeks possibly months and it wouldn't go... I'd stopped smoking since everyone was like "it'll make u worse"
but 1 day I got sooo stressed and miserable that I fought through the coughing to have a smoke... then it went away...

my friend - also a smoker - put this down to the smoke (or tar or whatever) kills all ur good cells... so why not your bad ones too...

it might not cure you but it cured me!

- however I don't smoke now...

Latest

Trending

Trending