The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forum User
No, that is not the reason the claimant in Spring was able to successfully sue. He sued because his reference was substantially inaccurate and based on unproven allegations of misconduct.

Normally when something is written about you which is not true, you can sue in defamation. However, references are protected by something called 'qualified privilege'. You cannot sue in defamation for a reference unless it you can prove that it was written 'maliciously' - i.e. deliberately to harm you, not merely carelessly. Spring could not prove that in this case. Spring therefore framed his claim in negligence, arguing that his old employer owed him a duty to provide an accurate reference, and that duty had been breached by their carelessness in providing it.

If the employer's reference had been accurate, there would have been no breach of the duty of care; and no matter how unfavourable to him the reference was, Spring would not have been able to successfully sue.

Spot on.

Original post by balotelli12
I've never read such rubbish as this thread in all my life. As a retired teacher I can assure you the only requirement on a reference is that bit has to be truthful and that it can be backed up with fact. If you are a bone idle wastrel who always handed homework in late I would say so, If you were a bad timekeeper I would say so. Both I could prove with data and there is nothing a student could do about it. My responsibility in a reference was to tell the truth about a candidate to a prospective employer/university. Indeed to net tell the truth is to invite litigation from an employer. I have even known job offers withdrawn once references were taken up. If I had an employee I could not find anything positive to say about I would decline to give them a reference. That's another urban myth by the way, that you have to be given a reference if you ask for one. There are ways of damning with faint praise. I used to enjoy "If you get John to work for you, you will be very lucky."

The highlighted comment is not always an urban myth. In some industries, and I do not know the position in teaching, there may be an implied duty to provide a reference for former employees. The classic example is the financial services industry. The same is likely to exist in any industry where it is customary for employers to hold fidelity insurance and insurers require policyholders to have a reference from the last employer before employing. A refusal to provide a reference in such circumstances is likely to amount to a blacklisting of an employee from the industry. Moreover, employers who provide references for some but not all employees have to be sure that their policy will stand scrutiny under equalities legislation. For example if you have a company where as a matter of policy the head of the transport department refuses to provide references but secretaries have no trouble in obtaining references from their "boss" and there is a gender divide between the make up of the transport department and the secretarial workforce, the employer risks a claim of indirect sex discrimination from a driver who failed to receive a reference.
Original post by Manifestation
Why can't they say both? They are both true. In fact, the attendance being so low, in this hypothetical scenario, provides proof that John is lazy.

Because saying John is lazy is the teacher's opinion, and John could challenge this. It's not just about the law- the person usually writing statements is the form tutor or the head of sixth. If a teacher wrote a very poor statement, then John would probably complain to someone higher up the school, e.g. the head teacher. If all the teacher has written is a list of facts that are true, they can justify this more easily, than the adding of their opinions which could be seen as a bit more malicious.
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I think the whole idea of the role of being a teacher is to help a student achieve their goals through education, and if said student wants to go to university one of the ways in which a teacher can assist them is by writing them a good reference. The teacher whom wrote my reference didn't really know, hadn't taught me before, yet gave me a good reference (I assume), but personally, I have never heard of a bad reference being given :smile:

Fair enough. What's the point really then? Seems like a useless formality, then. I think a more efficient system would for there to be Extenuating Circumstances/achievment Forms for teachers to write if the student experienced any hardships in their education that might account for a lack in performance and any notable achievements like 100UMS in modules.
Original post by Genocidal
No teacher would write a bad reference for a student. There's no actual law stating you have to write a good reference. It's more an unspoken rule. In fact, I don't think anyone would write a bad reference for anyone if you the applicant has a choice as to who completes the reference. The reference is largely a mere formality. Everyone says the same rubbish in them. It's like when you see a customer testimonial on a website.
That makes sense. I haven't really heard anything that suggests that there's an official thing preventing teachers from writing references.
Original post by AwkwardLemur
Our Geography teacher said he would be making a note on the reference if we missed any homeworks throughout the year.

Not very useful considering I haven't done many for him, and I'm applying for GEOGRAPHY :s-smilie:
I see. Hopefully it was an empty threat then!

Original post by aptkoolaid
Your teachers are unlikely to say anything explicitly negative about you for your reference, however, it's what they don't say about you that will speak volumes to those on the uni admissions teams.

I guess. But surely different Universities will be looking for different things and thus an apparent lack of something at one place will be seen differently, somewhere else!
Original post by nulli tertius
References accentuate the positive and ignore the negative.

Think about a reference that says someone is diligent and hard-working where achieved grades are CCD and predicted grades are CCC. What that reference is really saying is that there is no more petrol in the tank. The candidate is performing to the best of his ability.

That makes sense. It's honest.
Original post by Another
They can't write a bad reference, but they can write a very short or generic reference, or refer to words such as "quiet", or miss out key attributes all together.
I see. Are you suggesting, thought, that being quiet is a bad thing? I guess it might be seen as a flaw for certain careers where extrovert exuberance is a must.

Original post by evening sunrise
It is no different to employment references. The legal situation in regard to negative points is tricky. What is not included in the reference is the most the most powerful component.

Ah, I've not yet gotten to the stage, in any of my job applications, where my referees have been contacted.
Original post by ChemistBoy
The unwritten rules is that you either write a positive, but truthful reference or you refuse to write a reference. This holds for any type of personal reference. I think it is a bit of a skill to 'damn with faint praise' and most people can't manage it.

I see. Well I assume personal tutors can 'damn with faint praise' as they're usually the ones that collate what the subject teachers say and add the final touches.
Original post by aranexus
As far as i'm aware they're not allowed to give you a bad reference, but that doesn't mean they have to write a glowing one either...

Ah, fair enough. As I've said previously, differentiating between a good and glowing reference must be a bit of a challenge.

I guess so. Although there might be other reasons for refusing to write a person's reference than them being a poor candidate.
Original post by BowzerEdwards
They're allowed to do what ever they want within reason. Of course a bad reference isn't against the law. Provided it's their honest opinion and if they're being overly negative, they ideally provide some documentary evidence they can do what they want. Just like with any reference, anywhere.

However, pragmatically, think about it - it's within a teacher's interest (not to mention very much within the institutions) to ensure their pupils go to University. They're hardly going to 'flame' you as a chance to settle a score over a couple of missed homeworks are they?! It would take a very small person to start settling scores with, potentially, people's futures.

As a final note, I'd simply suggest the onus is on you to give them positive things to write about. If you're involved in sports, extra-curricular activities, mentoring younger kids, whatever - then there's more than enough material for the teacher to reference your positive skills, qualities, etc.
I see. So there are no repercussions if a school sends lots of poor (ability not money) students to University on account of exaggerated references/predictions?

Original post by Good bloke
Anyone believing that teachers cannot give a bad reference is completely wrong; and the same comment applies to employment references. The referee has a legal duty to the receiver as well as to the subject. It is possible for the referee to be sued by the receiver if they make a decision based on a falsely positive reference.

However, they must write what is true and be justified in what they write. If you haven't turned in an assignment in two years, don't attend classes, destroyed the school library or average only 23% in your work they are perfectly at liberty to say so, for instance.

In practice, most (but not all) referees will take a cautious approach and only say positive things, or praise trivialities, if they really want to be damning. The receiver will interpret it as he wishes.

I see.. I hadn't realised that a referee could be sued!

Original post by Ladyliesel
I've never heard of a teacher giving a bad reference. However, if they choose to not say certain things it could give a bad impression to the university. E.g. by not commenting on how well the student works independently doesn't make a reference bad but what they don't say speaks for itself. It's not in a teacher's interests to give a student a bad reference but they could be more honest (in a negative way) I suppose.

Yep, this seems to be the general consensus on the thread.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It's a myth that you cannot legally write a bad reference. However, if someone wrote something bad that was untrue, it could be considered libel. This means, when people are writing a bad reference they will usually be strictly factual. So, they might write "John's attendance is 56%" but not "John is lazy".

With most schools though, they probably only write a poor reference if they think someone is completely unsuitable for university. It's beneficial for schools and colleges to have a good record of getting people into university. This means they'll try to write positive references. However, schools do build up reputations with universities they send a lot of students too, and they don't want that reputation to be for exaggerating on the reference, as this might harm future students' chances of getting into that university.

Why do you think your reference might be bad?
Fair enough. It's not that I think my reference might be bad (In fact I'm not applying till next year so it's what I'd've applied with this year if I'd done as well, as hope), it's just that I thought it was a good reference but after discovering that teachers do in fact write good references, I'm wondering whether there's some negativities between the lines. I'm not the best at deciphering such subtleties.

Original post by NegativeProton
One of my mates teachers wrote in his reference, " x student is no good at practicals ". So I guess they can write bad aspects about you in your reference. However it depends on the teacher imo.
I see.

Original post by Theflyingbarney
Despite the common thought, Final Fantasy is actually partially right - there is a recorded case (Spring v Guardian Assurance) where an employee was able to successfully sue his former employer for giving him a bad reference. So conceivably this might extend to university applications. However I believe that the issue allowing the claimant to sue in that case was that the reference in question was an unfair reflection on him.

So, I'd imagine that the answer would be that legally your referee would be allowed to write a negative reference, but only if it was accurate - if, for example, they'd said you had 'a poor attendance record' when you'd turned up to 90% of the lessons then you might be able to sue, but probably not if you'd turned up to 50%. Since there's only been one case on the topic, though, I wouldn't be surprised if this were to change one way or the other in the future.
Wow. You'd think someone would choose their referees more wisely.

Original post by nathan2k1
Depends what you mean by 'bad' - it could include constructive criticism or potential weaknesses just as much as it could include the contrary. It has to be truthful just like an employment reference must be truthful, but this isn't always concentrated on opinion as a pose to facts.
Sorry, my question was asked poorly. I wanted to find out whether teachers could be completely truthful or whether they were only allowed to include the positives of their students.
Original post by keromedic
Fair enough. What's the point really then? Seems like a useless formality, then. I think a more efficient system would for there to be Extenuating Circumstances/achievment Forms for teachers to write if the student experienced any hardships in their education that might account for a lack in performance and any notable achievements like 100UMS in modules.
That makes sense. I haven't really heard anything that suggests that there's an official thing preventing teachers from writing references.

I am not really sure of the point to be honest. I am not sure that many universities judge their applicant on there references from teachers
I guess it is, teachers do right about those things in your personal statement. My teacher even asked me what I wanted her to write about :eek:
They do. And many will only answer factual questions such as salary details, disciplinary record and service dates
Original post by goonermk
It's more what isn't said that is bad.

For example on my reference I'm sure there will be no mention of my attendance and punctuality. I have got a detention tomorrow (I know, I'm 19 ffs) for being 1 minute late twice. Oh well.

Everything else on my reference will show how hard working etc. I am, but they will of course notice the obvious omission of my punctuality.

tbh I doubt they will - and if they do I doubt they'll give a crap. Punctuality is important for jobs but not for universities - if you're always late for lectures or handing in work then you're the person who loses out not the university.
Oh and from the point of view of university admissions:

the most telling thing on a UCAS reference is if it is SHORT. If your referee couldn't fill or even mostly fill their allotted space with all of your strengths then you must be lacking in them OR you must not have a very good relationship with your referee - either way that doesn't sell you as someone that university staff would particularly want to teach.

The main bit of the reference that gets looked at is the section on predicted grades.
Reply 48
I see. Are you suggesting, thought, that being quiet is a bad thing? I guess it might be seen as a flaw for certain careers where extrovert exuberance is a must.

'Quiet' on a reference probably means never contributes to conversations, is hardly ever in the lessons, slightly anti social.

If the referee wants to mean 'Quiet hard worker,' they'll usually write 'Deep and diligent thinker, capable of processing complex concepts in her mind...'
Original post by Another
'Quiet' on a reference probably means never contributes to conversations, is hardly ever in the lessons, slightly anti social.

If the referee wants to mean 'Quiet hard worker,' they'll usually write 'Deep and diligent thinker, capable of processing complex concepts in her mind...'

Very true. There's an art to writing a reference, just as there is in writing estate agents' blurb. There are many ways of saying the equivalent of 'unlimited scope for the DIY enthusiast.'
I see. Hopefully it was an empty threat then!

He definitely wasn't joking! But the way our school does references is all of the subject teachers write one, and then pass it to our tutors, who put them all together and pick the best bits, and add their own comments. So hopefully she would've removed the bit about me not doing my homework! :biggrin:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Very true. There's an art to writing a reference, just as there is in writing estate agents' blurb. There are many ways of saying the equivalent of 'unlimited scope for the DIY enthusiast.'

Hehe I always remember tumbling to the realisation that "tastefully decorated", at a particular point in time in the midlands, meant "has polystyrene-tiled ceilings".
Hehe I always remember tumbling to the realisation that "tastefully decorated", at a particular point in time in the midlands, meant "has polystyrene-tiled ceilings".

I've pondered over 'deceptively spacious' for many years.
I've pondered over 'deceptively spacious' for many years.

Ah! The Tardis factor.
Ah! The Tardis factor.

We actually bought a house with 'ranch style banisters', which meant that the previous owners had ripped out the lovely Victorian handrails and replaced them with 4 x 1" floorboards. It cost a fortune to replace them. On topic, I have known quite a few students of whom 'deceptively intelligent' could be used without breaking the school guidelines on supportive references.
We actually bought a house with 'ranch style banisters', which meant that the previous owners had ripped out the lovely Victorian handrails and replaced them with 4 x 1" floorboards. It cost a fortune to replace them. On topic, I have known quite a few students of whom 'deceptively intelligent' could be used without breaking the school guidelines on supportive references.

Our house had those when we moved in. What a stupid concept in a family home! We could see our baby getting big enough and able enough to be able to climb onto the bottom one and lean over very soon, and a ten foot fall was inevitable. They had to go.
Our house had those when we moved in. What a stupid concept in a family home! We could see our baby getting big enough and able enough to be able to climb onto the bottom one and lean over very soon, and a ten foot fall was inevitable. They had to go.

The owners before us had six children. One wonders if it was a kind of population control method and there had maybe been more originally...
Original post by Manifestation
This makes no sense whatsoever. A bad student who does not pay attention in class, distracts others, and does not hand in homework should never be given a good reference!

I agree, that's why I would refuse to give a reference rather than risk legal action.
Reply 58
Sorry not been here for a while yes, any reference must be truthful.
Original post by nathan2k1
Sorry not been here for a while yes, any reference must be truthful.

Way to necro :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending