The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey, well I had the same question in my mind and asked my tutor last week. He said there is an unwritten code for them to write the references. For instance if he does not believe that the student will be good a contribution to the university, he just writes "he may be a good contribution", using the words "may, can" instead of "absolutely, definitely" and etc. Also, writing a short or long reference is the key.
Well I just had a look at mine today (I assume that is allowed) and it is absolutely dreadful. Not because they have said bad things about me, they just haven't said anything special. It felt as though it had been something copy and pasted from a template. It's blatantly not good enough for an Oxford application and they know it. I'm going to have a real rant at them.
Original post by Mendeleev
Well I just had a look at mine today (I assume that is allowed) and it is absolutely dreadful. Not because they have said bad things about me, they just haven't said anything special. It felt as though it had been something copy and pasted from a template. It's blatantly not good enough for an Oxford application and they know it. I'm going to have a real rant at them.

Do they know you want to apply to Oxford?
Original post by keromedic
Do they know you want to apply to Oxford?

Yes they do. Luckily I've had a nice long talk to my teachers about how I would like them to improve it. Think I just panicked a bit.
However now my personal statement is 5 lines over :frown: Should not have left it this late to put it in :tongue:
I have both written and read references that were bad, but honest. I wrote one where the only positive thing I could find to say was that the employee tried hard to get on with other staff. Note that it does not say he succeeded. Compare this with one I wrote for someone who worked for me in a temporary role - they worked hard, were reliable, trustworthy, could work without supervision, got on well with staff of varying ages and nationalities, were always well presented and any employer would be lucky to have them.

References are read for what is left out.
Reply 65
My teacher wrote things such as 'she has no motivation' and 'needs another year before going to university' therefore they did not accept me. How is that legal?
Reply 66
Original post by hilla_s
My teacher wrote things such as 'she has no motivation' and 'needs another year before going to university' therefore they did not accept me. How is that legal?

This is an old thread - it would be better if you started your own to ask this question.

:smile:

Now closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending