The Student Room Group

What is meant by extracurriculars?

I'm applying for medicine soon but one of the universities I'm applying to really likes extra curriculars. Does this only apply to things like hobbies/interests or does it refer to volunteering and stuff too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Volunteering should count as well. My sister's applying this year too :smile: Good luck.
Reply 2
For medicine, it is usually anything that you do outside of school (whether it's a hobbie or work doesn't matter). However, it NEEDS to be relevant to medicine. This could include shadowing a doctor, volunteering for a homeless shelter, working on a science project, etc.
It mostly refers to work experience and volunteering relevant to medicine.
Reply 4
Thanks a lot guys, that clears up a lot of my worries as my medical problems means I can't do much sport haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Extracurriculars are stuff which you do which is not to do with school work.

Original post by Superboy
For medicine, it is usually anything that you do outside of school (whether it's a hobbie or work doesn't matter). However, it NEEDS to be relevant to medicine. This could include shadowing a doctor, volunteering for a homeless shelter, working on a science project, etc.

No, it should be a huge variety of things. Playing musical instrument, dog walking, school plays, any opportunity you have to do anything, do it! Universities want well rounded individuals, who have more to them than just good grades. Good Luck!
Reply 6
Original post by orangeee22
No, it should be a huge variety of things. Playing musical instrument, dog walking, school plays, any opportunity you have to do anything, do it! Universities want well rounded individuals, who have more to them than just good grades. Good Luck!

Absolutely not! Medical school have very stringent entry requirements. When medical schools talk about extracuriculars, they are ONLY talking about activities relevant to medicine. The number of applicants is far too high for them to care about someone playing piano in their spare time.

Many non-clinical courses DO accept irrelevant activities, but I am not aware of any clinical course (medicine, dentistry, vet. science) that allows applicants to partake in useless activities.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Absolutely not! Medical school have very stringent entry requirements. When medical schools talk about extracuriculars, they are ONLY talking about medicine-related activities. The number of applicants is far too high for them to care about someone playing piano in their spare time.

Many non-clinical courses DO accept irrelevant activities, but I am not aware of any clinical course (medicine, dentistry, vet. science) that allows applicants to partake in useless activities.

That's complete rubbish, loads of medical schools really value extra curricular stuff that has nothing to do with science, to show that you're a normal human being who can deal with stress, and not a number-crunching robot.

Look at the analysis of this PS from the Oxford website:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/applying/anatomy-of-ps

"Although the bulk of a personal statement should be academic-related, it is important to show a life outside of studying."
"The passing reference to the drama group reinforces the impression that this applicant is a team-player. It is useful to describe sporting or musical interests although, as, this applicant shows, these non-academic interests don't need to be particularly high-powered ones."
Reply 8
Original post by sidmanny
That's complete rubbish, loads of medical schools really value extra curricular stuff that has nothing to do with science, to show that you're a normal human being who can deal with stress, and not a number-crunching robot.

Look at the analysis of this PS from the Oxford website:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/applying/anatomy-of-ps

"Although the bulk of a personal statement should be academic-related, it is important to show a life outside of studying."
"The passing reference to the drama group reinforces the impression that this applicant is a team-player. It is useful to describe sporting or musical interests although, as, this applicant shows, these non-academic interests don't need to be particularly high-powered ones."

I suggest you go back and read my comment. I never stated that extracurricular activities had to be science-related, rather I stated that they had to be "RELEVANT" to medicine (NOT RELATED). The personal statement you provided from Oxford Medical School shows non-science-related activities, but it suggests how it will help the applicant as a future doctor.

Taking part in a drama group certainly shows that the applicant can work well in a team which is needed for a future medic. However, some people here suggested that OP mention about walking his dog - correct me if I'm wrong, but walking a dog won't help you become a better doctor.
I'd go with MTW47's view, not that I know anyone who assesses medical admissions, but if I were assessing medical personal statements I'd want to see evidence of a life outwith medicine. To me volunteering etc is just more medicine. When we are interviewing for GP partners we don't want a partner whose identity is totally bound up with being a doctor and who has nothing else in their life.
Medicine is a stressful job and I think to avoid burnout and taking every complaint very personally you need an unrelated hobby and to see being a doctor as just part of your life, albeit an important part. You can still relate it to why you'll be a great doctor and I'd disagree that playing an instrument is unimportant as the fact that playing piano helps reduce your stress levels may be important, also many universities have orchestras and many doctors are also accomplished musicians. I agree that I wouldn't put walking the dog as that just shows up that you don't actually have any hobbies.
Reply 10
I suggest you go back and read my comment. I never stated that extracurricular activities had to be science-related, rather I stated that they had to be "RELEVANT" to medicine (NOT RELATED). The personal statement you provided from Oxford Medical School shows non-science-related activities, but it suggests how it will help the applicant as a future doctor.

Taking part in a drama group certainly shows that the applicant can work well in a team which is needed for a future medic. However, some people here suggested that OP mention about walking his dog - correct me if I'm wrong, but walking a dog won't help you become a better doctor.

Ok fair enough I understand your point :smile:
Original post by taysidefrog
I'd go with MTW47's view, not that I know anyone who assesses medical admissions, but if I were assessing medical personal statements I'd want to see evidence of a life outwith medicine. To me volunteering etc is just more medicine. When we are interviewing for GP partners we don't want a partner whose identity is totally bound up with being a doctor and who has nothing else in their life.
Medicine is a stressful job and I think to avoid burnout and taking every complaint very personally you need an unrelated hobby and to see being a doctor as just part of your life, albeit an important part. You can still relate it to why you'll be a great doctor and I'd disagree that playing an instrument is unimportant as the fact that playing piano helps reduce your stress levels may be important, also many universities have orchestras and many doctors are also accomplished musicians. I agree that I wouldn't put walking the dog as that just shows up that you don't actually have any hobbies.

Completely agree with you :smile:.

What about if the person was a dog walker for their job in their spare time - and earnt money that way and found it relaxing and fun - I think that would be a relevant thing to put on your personal statement!
Absolutely not! Medical school have very stringent entry requirements. When medical schools talk about extracuriculars, they are ONLY talking about activities relevant to medicine. The number of applicants is far too high for them to care about someone playing piano in their spare time.

Clinical courses do care about extra curricular activities- NOT ONLY actives relevant to medicine. Anybody can help out with medicine, do other science courses, etc. and whilst these are very useful, doing something extra separates you from the crowd. Here is what is says on the Cambridge website for Veterinary medicine about work experience:
"In preparation for an application for Veterinary Medicine at Cambridge, you should not give up other worthwhile pursuits such as training in sport, music or drama in order to gain excessive work experience with animals"

Quick Reply

Latest