The Student Room Group

how to measure long term climate change and the method

Hey can you please answer my question ASAP but i dont need the answer about pollen or ice cores as I already know them. i just need one other way and the method :smile:
Reply 1
I remember doing a similar thing,
I think the third way is tree rings
- A truck of a cut tree show rings; these rings show how much the tree grows each year, I think the more Co2 in the atmosphere means more growth.
Original post by efjbrfbv
Hey can you please answer my question ASAP but i dont need the answer about pollen or ice cores as I already know them. i just need one other way and the method :smile:

Off the top of my head...

The ratio of oxygen isotopes (18O/16O) in calcite can be used to estimate ocean temperature in the distant past

Glacial moraines (which mark the furthest extent of an ice age) can contain materials which can be dated

The distributions of (eg) beetle remains can be used as a proxy to show how climate changed in a given location (similar to the pollen method)

Ancient shorelines and sea levels can be assessed by a variety of means

Some rocks found on the seabed can only be explained by having been dropped by melting icebergs which were previously part of a glacier. The distribution of such rocks can be used to estimate the extent of ice coverage over time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending