The Student Room Group

Why doesn't anyone rate Kent Law School?

I'm predicted ABB and i've chosen Kent as my firm and Leicester as my insurance.

I loved KLS with its law clinic letting 2nd years practice under the supervision of qualified solicitors, a choice of modules in yr2 as well as the usual mooting and work experience, it just doesnt seem to be very highly rated by TSR users?

I found Leicester slightly unappealing but have heard its law school is excellent and am now considering going there on that basis?

Any thoughts would be must appriciated?
Reply 1
Mads
I'm predicted ABB and i've chosen Kent as my firm and Leicester as my insurance.

I loved KLS with its law clinic letting 2nd years practice under the supervision of qualified solicitors, a choice of modules in yr2 as well as the usual mooting and work experience, it just doesnt seem to be very highly rated by TSR users?

I found Leicester slightly unappealing but have heard its law school is excellent and am now considering going there on that basis?

Are biased and often unqualified to comment.

If you like kent, go to kent.
Reply 2
Mads

There are worse Law schools. Much, much worse.
Reply 3
i dont think its bad, i know someone who has got a a pupillage at a top top chambers from kent (he did have a first tho )
Reply 4
I liked Kent and I probably would have gone there in certain circumstances.
Reply 5
Mads

Don't worry about it mate. I'm now predicted AAAB and I've got it as my firm with QMUL as insurance. I love it there, Canterbury rules! Kent isn't top ten, but in this forum everyone underestimates the job prospects from 'lesser' universities, with a decent degree. I personally know quite a few lawyers from these unis who hold down very good jobs, and earn a very good wage! The truth is, Kent has only really been established for 40 years, and so hasn't got the 800 year reputation of Cambridge, for example,, or to be less extreme, the already well-established reputation of unis such as UCL, Durham, etc. in law circles. However, I've been lucky enough to have some rather extended talks with many lawyers and employers, and the emphasis is always said to be on the class of the degree. Of course, the uni that you go to counts (Oxbridge and London will usually get looked at first and interviewed), but Kent is good enough as to not really make a difference unless you're comparing it with unis such as Durham, UCL, Oxbridge etc.
If you look at the statistics, it's a very good law school and is only kept down in the League Tables by its low entrance grades, which count toward the score. I've seen leaving figures as well, and Kent has many students every year leave for the BVC, huge amounts go on to the LPC, and a few even get through to companies such as Clifford Chance, and the "top top" chambers Blondie22 so helpfully mentioned.
That said, if you're looking to be a six-figure commercial guru, prominent QC or international star, Kent probably isn't the best choice due to the very highly selective nature of employers at this level. However, I know my prospects with AAAB and a 2:1 or a 1st would be absolutely fine, and rather favourable. You could always do a Masters at a 'superior' uni anyway.
I'm very excited about going, and can't wait. I would recommend Kent to anyone as a very good law uni with low entrance grades, or as a fairly safe insurance. The location is beautiful, and I know the student community is fantastic.
Hope that helps!
PM me if I can be of any further assistance.
As a rule people tend to slate schools, especially law schools, if they aren't in the top of the top ten. It's because it's such a competitive field and people just think in those terms. It's difficult to be objective when all you've got is a first impression and a league table. They're also doing a fair bit to improve Kent and its reputation. I quite liked it there... it's got a better reputation than Reading, and lower grades offers!

Plus, the way things are going with the exams, I'm probably going to end up going there! :wink: so let's just hope it is good :eek:
Reply 7
The only reason its not rated on TSR is because of the huge bias towards london unis and oxbridge on this forum. If you asked solicitors im sure theyd rate it more.

Latest

Trending

Trending