The Student Room Group

How far would you travel for academic experience?

I'm looking at part time jobs while I complete my part-time masters, but the only jobs I have found to date are 3-4 hours away. The skills gained from these jobs would be invaluable, potentially to my study as well as career - but I still have 'grown up life and responsibilities' back home. How far is reasonable to travel (over night stays are not an option)?
a couple of hours in either direction is reasonable if the money's OK. more than that is pushing it a bit for a daily commute. also you have to be able to get there in time for the start of the job that day, and the more you commute the more you're at the mercy of travel disruption.
Reply 2
As you say 'for academic experience', are these academic jobs? Are you planning on going to to a PhD and an academic job?

If all of the above are true, then I personally would do it even if I lost money because that kind of thing can really change your chances for PhD funding.

If the above are not true, then I would think about how much they will really, really add to your opportunities for work after your Master's - a little bit, perhaps not; a lot, definitely.
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies, and yeah, I am looking at pursuing a PhD into an academic career, hence my dilemma. Also bearing in mind that I want to do well enough in my Masters to get into a good PhD programme, so it needs to be part time, but financially sustainable. Initially I also thought a couple hours each way would be reasonable - good point about commuter delays! - but the most appropriate opportunities I have found (based on my current experience) are 3-4 hours away - both north and south from me, so even moving closer/uprooting family wouldn't help as I'd have to take a gamble on which direction to move!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending