The Student Room Group

Did my date go well?

So I had a blind date yesterday with someone a friend set me up with. I went because I hadn't been on a real date since my massive, horrid breakup last December. I'm nearly completely over my ex so this was a great way to start fresh. This girl is new in my town for work purposes.

Anyway, the date went well, we talked about a lot of things, she told me about studying at Oxford and what it was like working for a charity, I told her about the LSE and what the legal profession is like. It was...nice. We had a few drinks and a nice dinner, really good conversation and lots and lots of laughs.

When the cheque came, I reached for it and so did she. I insisted on paying, she insisted we go Dutch. You know when some women get that look, the way their faces just say, "I will not budge on this!" So I relented and we split the bill. I assumed then that clearly she was not interested and I was ready to move on after cutting my losses.

Then about 20 minutes later, I got a text from her, "Thanks for dinner. Evenings like this make me feel much better about moving to this city. x"

Did the date go well? Or is she hinting that she'd rather be friends? Why can't women be more direct about these things?

HELP!
I'd assume she was insistent upon going Dutch because she believes in being independent and doesn't like the notion of men having to pay for things, rather than meaning she wasn't interested.

Surely the best way to see if she's interested is to ask her out again.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
it was ok man :wink: dw.. at least that's what i think
Reply 3
I don't understand your logic. If a girl likes you then she lets you pay the bill? And if she doesn't she doesn't?

Sounds like she had a good time. Why not just text her back and say "Glad you had a good time. So did I. We should do it again soon"

Why can't men more more direct about these things? :smile:
Obviously it went good. Setup another one soon.
Original post by arrowhead
So I had a blind date yesterday with someone a friend set me up with. I went because I hadn't been on a real date since my massive, horrid breakup last December. I'm nearly completely over my ex so this was a great way to start fresh. This girl is new in my town for work purposes.

Anyway, the date went well, we talked about a lot of things, she told me about studying at Oxford and what it was like working for a charity, I told her about the LSE and what the legal profession is like. It was...nice. We had a few drinks and a nice dinner, really good conversation and lots and lots of laughs.

When the cheque came, I reached for it and so did she. I insisted on paying, she insisted we go Dutch. You know when some women get that look, the way their faces just say, "I will not budge on this!" So I relented and we split the bill. I assumed then that clearly she was not interested and I was ready to move on after cutting my losses.

Then about 20 minutes later, I got a text from her, "Thanks for dinner. Evenings like this make me feel much better about moving to this city. x"

Did the date go well? Or is she hinting that she'd rather be friends? Why can't women be more direct about these things?

HELP!

Sounds like it went well, ask her out again... She probably doesn't know whether she wants to be more than friends yet
Reply 6
Original post by PythianLegume
I'd assume she was insistent upon going Dutch because she believes in being independent and doesn't like the notion of men having to pay for things, rather than meaning she wasn't interested.

Surely the best way to see if she's interested is to ask her out again.

Original post by chazwomaq
I don't understand your logic. If a girl likes you then she lets you pay the bill? And if she doesn't she doesn't?

Sounds like she had a good time. Why not just text her back and say "Glad you had a good time. So did I. We should do it again soon"

Why can't men more more direct about these things? :smile:

Because it's the gentlemanly thing to do? All the dates I've been on before, I've always picked up the cheque (granted all my past dates were with the same person) because I just thought that's what you're supposed to do in the courting process. Also, well, female friends of mine have said before that if a guy asked one of them to split the bill after a date, that would make him significantly less attractive and less like 'dating material' to them. So I assumed the worst.

Original post by Lucky-Roll
it was ok man :wink: dw.. at least that's what i think

Original post by AreebWithaHat
Obviously it went good. Setup another one soon.

Original post by ThoughtIsFree
Sounds like it went well, ask her out again... She probably doesn't know whether she wants to be more than friends yet

Thanks, mates!
So far so good. Some girls insist on paying as well, it's not because they're not interested.
You better get her with your arrowhead on the next date.

The date went well yo

I'm not even sorry.
Reply 9
Original post by chickenonsteroids
You better get her with your arrowhead on the next date.

The date went well yo

I'm not even sorry.

:lol:

Is it wrong that your stripper pole bunny weirdly distracts me every time I see a post by you?
:lol:

Is it wrong that your stripper pole bunny weirdly distracts me every time I see a post by you?

No, not at all. The bunny is a great dancer
You may have been entrapped by your previous girlfriend. In a long-term mutually supportive relationship both people contribute more or less according to their means.

Women in our age bracket now earn more than men, so if anything she should be paying for you! Do not allow women to use you. A fair amount of them do this, and I know first-hand that they all know exactly what they're doing.

With regards to your date, she certainly enjoyed the date and wants to see you again. I see that she's said "evenings like this" - almost certainly she wants to not appear single-minded and subtly imply she is a high-value mate who dates semi-regularly. This is probably over-egging it in this day and age, but whether true or not, she is trying to make herself seem more desirable to you, which is a good sign. Great post by Chazwomaq above, with just the right amount of irony!
Reply 12
lol don't worry, it sounds like she likes you. I always offer to split the bill especially on the first date.
Reply 13
So ...

That 'x' clearly shows she is all over you :wink:but I couldn't tell after one date if I wanted to be friends with the guy or more...unless he was either very amazing...
Why should you always think that a girl expects you to pay for the meal
Reply 15
Text her offering to 'make a submission to one of the lower courts'. Women are wild for the lawyer innuendoes.

Also, yeah some girls just won't let you pay out of principle. I knowy sister could have decided she was going to marry you after the first half hour, she still would pay her half!
Reply 16
Sounds like it went well. Even if I were a guy I wouldn't mind splitting the bill. I guess since you're not officially going out yet, she split the bill. At this point, you're only friends.
Reply 17
Sounds like it went pretty well. If she wasn't interested in a second date I doubt she'd have made the effort to text you at all unless you'd messaged her first. Try asking her out again and see what she says to that. Girls like the direct approach too!
Reply 18
I'd probably insist on paying or splitting the bill at the end of a date because I think it's polite to do so (and I'm all for equality of course)! I'd imagine that her insistence on splitting the bill has nothing to do with whether or not she likes you. The text sounds quite flirtatious to me, but obviously the only way to find out for sure whether she's interested in you is to ask her (or something to that effect).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending