The Student Room Group

Putin nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Izzyeviel
They have to give it to someone. They can't keep giving them to Nelson Mandela or the Dalai Lama.

It'll be the Carbon Fibre Rod next year. You heard it here first.

Giving it to someone 'because they have to' is precisely the reason why this prize isn't taken as seriously anymore; it undermines the efforts of those who actually got it and were not awarded it because 'no one else did anything'.
Reply 21
Original post by John Stuart Mill
are they handing them out with boxes of cheerios now?

I heard they come with a free stick of dynamite.
**** me! The EU, Obama and now possibly Putin.

What a farce.
What's Nelson Mandela done to deserve a peace prize? nothing, the guys a vegetable.
Not since it was given to the EU
I mean...what?
Original post by Giant
This is genuinely the funniest thing that I have read in a while

He's polling 40% on TSR - is that funny, or scary? :s-smilie:
Reply 26
Original post by Pastaferian
He's polling 40% on TSR - is that funny, or scary? :s-smilie:

If you're talking about my poll, the title is actually: "Is the Nobel Peace Prize still a worthwhile award?"
Original post by Plainview
If you're talking about my poll, the title is actually: "Is the Nobel Peace Prize still a worthwhile award?"

Ah, my mistake - I misread 'What do you think?' as applying to his nomination.

Some years one might question the decision, but IMO the Prize itself is very worthwhile - it's been used to recognise leaders who made decisions which were very unpopular domestically, and to embarrass despots. Would switch my vote, but it's too late now :frown:
Reply 28
Putin is being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for trying to stop a Nobel Peace Prize winner from attacking a country?

Something about this makes me laugh a little. This prize has become really, really odd.
Reply 29
it lost all credibility when they gave the award to the EU
The prize is lost a lot of credibility. One reason I think this is because it is handed out yearly to basically whoever instead of given out in unique circumstances to those who try to promote peace.

As for Putin's nomination, it is simply ridiculuos. He has done next to nothing for peace. If he wins, well it will be a disgrace.
Reply 31
the prize has lost its meaning. Its been turned into a political weapon now. Hey look at us! Our President won the nobel peace prize. Hey you cant argue with our policies! Our president has won the nobel peace prize! Whats that? People dont like what we are doing? But our Prime Minister has won the nobel peace prize!

Get my drift?
You're asking a forum consisting of, let's say... 70% current/1st/2nd generation immigrants mostly from the middle east and Africa... 20% leftwing mentally blind students... and 10% proud Englishmen like me...

Does Putin deserves a Nobel Prize?

No, he doesn't.

But I do think Antonio Di Natale deserves a prize... maybe a serie A title or a world cup... or a special sticker
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Sneaky politicians.
Original post by Ace123
it lost all credibility when they gave the award to the EU

the EU has done a lot for Europe, if you read a book on the subject you might realise that.
Reply 35
Original post by John Stuart Mill
are they handing them out with boxes of cheerios now?

Collect 10 crisp packets and win a nobel peace prize.
Reply 36
For waging genocide against the Chechens...I mean killing terrorists, Putin of course deserves a peace prize!
Reply 37
When a reporter criticized Putin over Russian atrocities in Chechnya, he responded with this:

"If you want to become an Islamic radical and have yourself circumcised, I invite you to come to Moscow. Our nation is multi-confessional, we have experts in the field. I would recommend that he who does the surgery does it so you’ll have nothing growing back afterward."

Not the most politically correct guy on earth, but he definitely has style compared to all the blank and shallow contemporary politicians (*ahem* Obama). Hitler and Stalin also had style :smile:
Reply 38
Putin only helped Snowden for political reasons, in order to defy the US.

If Snowden had instead spread Russia's secrets, Putin would not have been as generous...
Original post by Kurama
Putin only helped Snowden for political reasons, in order to defy the US.

If Snowden had instead spread Russia's secrets, Putin would not have been as generous...

But Obama probably would. I say fairs fair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending