The Student Room Group

Ionisation energy query?

Hey tsr
Is this question worded incorrectly? Shouldn't boron have a higher ionisation energy compared to beryllium?
(Question 2)
Thanks :smile: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1380743943.582170.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I think so...boron has slightly more shielding but a greater nuclear charge, meaning greater attraction.
Reply 2
Original post by Veqz
I think so...boron has slightly more shielding but a greater nuclear charge, meaning greater attraction.

Mutual thoughts, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Boron has 1 unpaired electron in the 2p1, this is shielded by the lower energy level electrons so easier to remove,
So boron does have a lower first ionization energy
Reply 4
Original post by PKMN TRN JAM
Boron has 1 unpaired electron in the 2p1, this is shielded by the lower energy level electrons so easier to remove,
So boron does have a lower first ionization energy

Oh I see, is this a one off rule as generally the ionisation energies do get larger going across the period?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alltimesarah
Oh I see, is this a one off rule as generally the ionisation energies do get larger going across the period?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They increase from left to right,
Boron and Aluminum are lower for the same reason, and then (I think) oxygen and Sulfur are slightly lower than N and P because the p4 is paired with the p1, causing some repulsion, making it easier to remove,
You might want to clarify with your teacher,
They should point out these exceptions to general rules as they come up often in exams
Reply 6
Original post by PKMN TRN JAM
They increase from left to right,
Boron and Aluminum are lower for the same reason, and then (I think) oxygen and Sulfur are slightly lower than N and P because the p4 is paired with the p1, causing some repulsion, making it easier to remove,
You might want to clarify with your teacher,
They should point out these exceptions to general rules as they come up often in exams

Eeek! I'll speak to him. Your advice is much appreciated, many thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest