The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Winchester Applicants 2014/15

Hi, thought it would be a good idea to get this started early :smile:

I'm torn between BA (Hons) Philosophy, Religion and Ethics and Theology, Religion and Ethics.

Such a nightmare trying to choose!

---
Connect to University of Winchester here! You'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Great idea!

I am so looking forward to going to Open Day this Saturday. Travelling from Sheffield but will be worth it. Watching YouTube videos is not enough lol

Personally I would do Philosophy Theology degree ad enjoying these at the moment more so than Ethics. Im studying online ALevels and Religious Studies is one of them. I'm doing this A Level in a year...eek.

I'm wanting to do a degree Education based. Thinking Primary :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Hey :smile: applying for journalism here. Went to an open day in September and absolutely loved the uni, so will definitely firm Winchester if I get offered a place :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thewhoviannerd
Hey :smile: applying for journalism here. Went to an open day in September and absolutely loved the uni, so will definitely firm Winchester if I get offered a place :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey
What went down at the OD?
did you manage to fit it all in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to be applying as a mature student.

Torn between doing something like Modern Liberal Arts or Theology or possibly Journalism.

Booked onto an Open Day and looking forward to it!
Original post by Norfolkadam
I'm going to be applying as a mature student.

Torn between doing something like Modern Liberal Arts or Theology or possibly Journalism.

Booked onto an Open Day and looking forward to it!

Me too. Got train tickets today.
I learnt about Natural Theology today. I find it interesting!
I'm interested in Primary Education :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by figuresk8rstudent
Hey
What went down at the OD?
did you manage to fit it all in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:

As someone living in the midlands, we booked into a hotel the night before, which helped us fit everything in (probably would've got there at about 1pm otherwise! :tongue:)

So yeah, got there at about 10, registered, then went to a welcome talk (the only one I've been to at any open day). after that i went to a journalism talk for an hour, and had a look at facilities there. after a quick lunch, we headed off on a campus and accommodation tour (took about an hour, maybe a bit over) and then we were done for the day :smile:

the only thing i would've wanted to do extra was have a look at the town a little more, but the only reason we didn't is because it was a Sunday, and everywhere was closed! If it had have been a Saturday, we would've finished in plenty of time to do so :smile:

probably more info than you wanted there, but hope it helps anyway :tongue:
Hi :smile:

As someone living in the midlands, we booked into a hotel the night before, which helped us fit everything in (probably would've got there at about 1pm otherwise! :tongue:)

So yeah, got there at about 10, registered, then went to a welcome talk (the only one I've been to at any open day). after that i went to a journalism talk for an hour, and had a look at facilities there. after a quick lunch, we headed off on a campus and accommodation tour (took about an hour, maybe a bit over) and then we were done for the day :smile:

the only thing i would've wanted to do extra was have a look at the town a little more, but the only reason we didn't is because it was a Sunday, and everywhere was closed! If it had have been a Saturday, we would've finished in plenty of time to do so :smile:

probably more info than you wanted there, but hope it helps anyway :tongue:

Hey.
Thanks for the info.

I sadly cant do the whole hotel night before as finances are low.

I've book myself in for Welcome Talk. Was it busy?

What did you think of the accommodation? I'm more than likely going to be staying near Education faculty block.

What are your overall thoughts and any tips? :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey.
Thanks for the info.

I sadly cant do the whole hotel night before as finances are low.

I've book myself in for Welcome Talk. Was it busy?

What did you think of the accommodation? I'm more than likely going to be staying near Education faculty block.

What are your overall thoughts and any tips? :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's any consolation when I went to Bournemouth open day I only got there at 1:30, so you won't be doing any worse than that, regardless of the fact you're not staying in a hotel overnight :wink:

Uhh I'd say not. Like there was people there, but it wasn't full be any means. The one after ours (11am) looked a lot busier.

Oh, I loved the accommodation. Wasn't much for the catered blocks, but the self catered was amazing, my favourite being Queen's road :smile: (don't know where the education block is though, sorry)

In general, the buildings were gorgeous, and I feel like the campus struck a great balance between old and new. Winchester has been the uni where I got the feeling of 'I really want to go here'. You know how people talk about the feeling of just knowing? So yeah, only place I've felt that :smile: It was really welcoming as well, someone came over to talk to us straight away to tell us about the uni.

tips... the only thing really that went wrong was we got lost (ended up going down a pedestrianized highstreet!) as there aren't any directions until you get reasonably near. So make sure you have a sat nav or something :smile:
If it's any consolation when I went to Bournemouth open day I only got there at 1:30, so you won't be doing any worse than that, regardless of the fact you're not staying in a hotel overnight :wink:

Uhh I'd say not. Like there was people there, but it wasn't full be any means. The one after ours (11am) looked a lot busier.

Oh, I loved the accommodation. Wasn't much for the catered blocks, but the self catered was amazing, my favourite being Queen's road :smile: (don't know where the education block is though, sorry)

In general, the buildings were gorgeous, and I feel like the campus struck a great balance between old and new. Winchester has been the uni where I got the feeling of 'I really want to go here'. You know how people talk about the feeling of just knowing? So yeah, only place I've felt that :smile: It was really welcoming as well, someone came over to talk to us straight away to tell us about the uni.

tips... the only thing really that went wrong was we got lost (ended up going down a pedestrianized highstreet!) as there aren't any directions until you get reasonably near. So make sure you have a sat nav or something :smile:

Hey.
Thanks fir tip. Am travelling by train :-D Got a bus to catch straight to Uni so travel/directions all sorted.

What was it about the accommodation you loved? Would you say you could fit a hifi in with four speakers as my mum is determined I take them with me lol
Also wardrobe space is it a lot as have two wardrobes full lol

I know the feeling you mean. I get that just by reading about it. Guess thats why im excited lol :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hey.

I'm a third year at Winchester. If you have any questions about the university or anything just ask.
Original post by Ziplot
Hey.

I'm a third year at Winchester. If you have any questions about the university or anything just ask.

Loved going to the Open Day today. Been smiling all day :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I only live an hour away so I know quite a lot about the south if you have any questions :smile:

I went to the History and the Theology talks, really impressed! Now I'm thinking of combining History and Theology this is such a hard decision.

What accommodation is everyone going for? I liked West Downs, I think the price is really good for what you get, shame about the hill you have to walk up though :P
Original post by Add!ction
I only live an hour away so I know quite a lot about the south if you have any questions :smile:

I went to the History and the Theology talks, really impressed! Now I'm thinking of combining History and Theology this is such a hard decision.

What accommodation is everyone going for? I liked West Downs, I think the price is really good for what you get, shame about the hill you have to walk up though :P

Hey.
The accommodation for me was the only let down! I liked West Downs but was small and en suites were wet rooms :-(
I like the newbies but so expensive :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Hey.
The accommodation for me was the only let down! I liked West Downs but was small and en suites were wet rooms :-(
I like the newbies but so expensive :-(

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's pretty much how it is across all uni's though, I went to Kent uni and was going to pay £5353 for pretty much the same room, if not smaller. Not sure about being so close to a prison though :P
Original post by Add!ction
That's pretty much how it is across all uni's though, I went to Kent uni and was going to pay £5353 for pretty much the same room, if not smaller. Not sure about being so close to a prison though :P

Huh, Prison?! I know its standard its just a shame the ones I like is up at West Downs lol
Reply 16
I'm thinking of applying to Winchester to do primary education! Going to the open day this Saturday :smile:
Original post by Anna469
I'm thinking of applying to Winchester to do primary education! Going to the open day this Saturday :smile:

Hey.
I went this sat and fell in love with the area, the Uni and the degree. Definitely my first choice :-D I too am thinking Primary Education

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Hey.
I went this sat and fell in love with the area, the Uni and the degree. Definitely my first choice :-D I too am thinking Primary Education

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw what did you like about it? :smile: that's cool hehe, where else are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ziplot
Hey.

Hi, I was just wondering what the students union was like, and what kind of societies there are? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending