The Student Room Group

As please help

Sodium carbonate forms a number of hydrates of general formula Na2CO3.xH2O*A 3.01 g sample of one of these hydrates was dissolved in water and the solution made up to 250 cm3.*In a titration, a 25.0 cm3 portion of this solution required 24.3 cm3 of 0.200 mol–1 dm–3 hydrochloric acid for complete reaction.*The equation for this reaction is shown below.*Na2CO3 + 2HCl 2NaCl + H2O + CO2*(i)Calculate the number of moles of HCl in 24.3 cm3 of 0.200 mol dm–3 hydrochloric acid.*

ii)Deduce the number of moles of Na2CO3 in 25.0 cm3 of the Na2CO3 solution.*...........………………………………………………………………………….*(iii)Hence deduce the number of moles of Na2CO3 in the original 250 cm3 of solution.*...........………………………………………………………………………….*(iv)Calculate the Mr of the hydrated sodium carbonate.*

Please I need help for iv I have the answer for ii, iii.
Reply 1
Original post by junaid_afghan
Sodium carbonate forms a number of hydrates of general formula Na2CO3.xH2O*A 3.01 g sample of one of these hydrates was dissolved in water and the solution made up to 250 cm3.*In a titration, a 25.0 cm3 portion of this solution required 24.3 cm3 of 0.200 mol–1 dm–3 hydrochloric acid for complete reaction.*The equation for this reaction is shown below.*Na2CO3 + 2HCl 2NaCl + H2O + CO2*(i)Calculate the number of moles of HCl in 24.3 cm3 of 0.200 mol dm–3 hydrochloric acid.*

ii)Deduce the number of moles of Na2CO3 in 25.0 cm3 of the Na2CO3 solution.*...........………………………………………………………………………….*(iii)Hence deduce the number of moles of Na2CO3 in the original 250 cm3 of solution.*...........………………………………………………………………………….*(iv)Calculate the Mr of the hydrated sodium carbonate.*

Please I need help for iv I have the answer for ii, iii.

As you have the moles of hydrated compound (your answer for ii) and you have the mass of it that there was originally (supplied in the question) you can work out the Mr using moles = mass/Mr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending