The Student Room Group

Under 25s will not be able to claim benefits if the Tories win in 2015

Health Warning: do read article fully before commenting - this is a policy idea, not manifesto promise.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10350854/Under-25s-would-not-be-able-to-claim-benefits-under-all-Conservative-government-David-Cameron-says.html#disqus_thread

""Anyone under 25 would not be able to claim housing or unemployment benefits under an all-Conservative government, the Prime Minister suggested. The young should be forced to “earn or learn”, he said."

At the heart of Mr Cameron’s speech was the suggestion that young people would no longer be eligible for welfare.

“Today it is still possible to leave school, sign on, find a flat, start claiming housing benefit and opt for a life on benefits. It’s time for bold action here,” he said. “We should ask, as we write our next manifesto, if that option should really exist at all.”

Instead, young people should have a “clear, positive choice” to go to school or college, do an apprenticeship or get a job.

“But just choose the dole? We’ve got to offer them something better than that,” he said.

Denying young people welfare is not “callous”, Mr Cameron said. “Think about it: with your children, would you dream of just leaving them to their own devices, not getting a job, not training, nothing? No you’d nag and push and guide and do anything to get them on their way… and so must we.”

Personally, I think there are a hell of a lot of 'hard cases', and I doubt it would see the light of day in anything other than a heavily revised form. But perhaps it's time to do something about that abysmal voter turnout rate for the under 25s.

What do you think of this policy? Do you support it?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree that we need to stop people from leaving school and living on benefits their whole lives when they are capable of working, but I don't think this is the way to go about it. Surely it should be quite simple to see who is abusing the system that way? Just focus on the people who have never been employed and still offer JSA etc. to young people who need it. There simply aren't enough jobs for young people at the moment and we need better support for jobseekers, as from what I have heard, jobcentres are awful and often don't help at all.

IMO, there needs to be more focus on apprentiships and similar vocational training schemes rather than university for young people, and getting them into jobs that way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Philbert
I agree that we need to stop people from leaving school and living on benefits their whole lives when they are capable of working, but I don't think this is the way to go about it. Surely it should be quite simple to see who is abusing the system that way? Just focus on the people who have never been employed and still offer JSA etc. to young people who need it. There simply aren't enough jobs for young people at the moment and we need better support for jobseekers, as from what I have heard, jobcentres are awful and often don't help at all.

IMO, there needs to be more focus on apprentiships and similar vocational training schemes rather than university for young people, and getting them into jobs that way.

They already know who's paid or not, there's contributory and non contributory JSA.

In terms of encouraging apprenticeships, you need to find employers willing to take them on, given the cost there aren't many queuing up. By contrast unis are despperate to get bums on seats. If you're the government you know any switch is going increase unemployment numbers, government with increasing unemployment rarely get re-elected, so it's not likely to happen.
Best idea yet, should curb under 25 child rates, encourage further education / training and essentially force those to alzy to get a job.

Personally i think it is brilliant, I'd guessimate around 20-5% or under 25's have a child in the area by me with no means of supporting them other than the state, its a self perpetuating cycle whereby they can't retrain for work as they need to look after the child! If the option of ifnancial aid for the child (benfits, house, etc) wasn't in place ....
Original post by StarGazie
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10350854/Under-25s-would-not-be-able-to-claim-benefits-under-all-Conservative-government-David-Cameron-says.html#disqus_thread

Personally, I think there are a hell of a lot of 'hard cases', and I doubt it would see the light of day in anything other than a heavily revised form. But perhaps it's time to do something about that abysmal voter turnout rate for the under 25s.

What do you think of this policy? Do you support it?

'“Today it is still possible to leave school, sign on, find a flat, start claiming housing benefit and opt for a life on benefits. It’s time for bold action here,” he said. “We should ask, as we write our next manifesto, if that option should really exist at all.” '

Sure it is, but not everyone does it? I suspect the amount that do is quite low, so why would you wanna turn that into policy?
Original post by ACapedSuperHero
Best idea yet, should curb under 25 child rates, encourage further education / training and essentially force those to alzy to get a job.

Personally i think it is brilliant, I'd guessimate around 20-5% or under 25's have a child in the area by me with no means of supporting them other than the state, its a self perpetuating cycle whereby they can't retrain for work as they need to look after the child! If the option of ifnancial aid for the child (benfits, house, etc) wasn't in place ....

But surely plenty (probably most) of those people didn't choose to have the child, it was unexpected. Hence they didn't take benefits into account when they conceived. If my assumption is correct, then all this will do is cause more children to be living in incredibly poor conditions, perpetuating inequalities.
Reply 6

It's also somewhat unfair if you're 23, have worked full time paying tax since you were 16 and get made redundant only to be told you can shove off for a couple of years until you've been so good as to reach your mid 20s.

How many of those kids do you reckon were plannned?
Original post by roh
It's also somewhat unfair if you're 23, have worked full time paying tax since you were 16 and get made redundant only to be told you can shove off for a couple of years until you've been so good as to reach your mid 20s.

How many of those kids do you reckon were plannned?

As someone mentioned above, the circumstances and fine details would need to be considered. Essentially if youve paid in for; in your example 16-23 (7 years) you should be entitled to 7 years benefits.

Well if you are adult enough to make a life changing decision to keep a child you need to be adult enough to understand and support the financial implications of keeping that child.
What a horrible, desperate little silver-spooned hypocrite attempting to win back UKIP voters.

I suppose he paid for Eton with his own earnings?
Reply 9
Under 21? Sure. But what happens in those four years between leaving uni and 25, where there ARE no jobs to get? Where are people supposed to live - I certainly won't be able to live with my parents. I couldn't do it now at 19, and I won't be able to do it at 25 with my partner and a six-year-old.

Getting a job? Fine, when they create more jobs, and show me one that means I can afford to rent privately, or reduce the council waiting list, I'll get a job and live independently of benefits.

I would never opt for a life on benefits; my family were forced into that life and it's not what I want for myself or my family, but when the job system is so dire because of increasing the retirement age, and allowing anyone who wants to come into the country, how can they then expect everyone of school, college or uni leaving age to waltz straight into a job? And how can they expect parents, who are being made redundant every day, being forced to move into smaller homes when their children move to university, to be able to support an adult son/daughter, and their potential family, when there's no money and no spare room to do it with?

This systematic punishment of young people purely for the sake of being young is why I will vote for the Conservative's biggest opponent during the election, just to make sure this ridiculous idea doesn't become reality.

Then maybe the rate of people having children young would drop, but how about those who already have them? Collateral damage?
Original post by PythianLegume
But surely plenty (probably most) of those people didn't choose to have the child, it was unexpected. Hence they didn't take benefits into account when they conceived. If my assumption is correct, then all this will do is cause more children to be living in incredibly poor conditions, perpetuating inequalities.

As i have already mentioned, you chose to keep the child do you not?

If you can't afford it then you dont keep it,simple.

I couldn't go out and buy a Ferrari and expect the government to pay the upkeep when i find out i can't afford it? Proper finacial planning and have a child when you can afford it.

Contreceptives (The pill etc) free use them.
Original post by madders94
Then maybe the rate of people having children young would drop, but how about those who already have them? Collateral damage?

No, it'd be a staged introduction like the new pension age rise, certain cut off points etc.
As i have already mentioned, you chose to keep the child do you not?

Many people feel that an abortion is not an option they could go through with. And as Madders said - what about people who already have a child? If they are 16, they could have 9 years with no benefits.
No, it'd be a staged introduction like the new pension age rise, certain cut off points etc.

But is that actually what's being proposed?

Still not sure I agree with the policy, but at least it'd be done that way.

Is that how the Tories will be doing it, or are they just going for a blanket ban?
Reply 16
As someone mentioned above, the circumstances and fine details would need to be considered. Essentially if youve paid in for; in your example 16-23 (7 years) you should be entitled to 7 years benefits.

Well if you are adult enough to make a life changing decision to keep a child you need to be adult enough to understand and support the financial implications of keeping that child.

So you should have the right to choose? Unless you're under 25 in which case abortion all the way? Seems pretty harsh given abortion's a pretty traumatic procedure.

Original post by madders94
Under 21? Sure. But what happens in those four years between leaving uni and 25, where there ARE no jobs to get? Where are people supposed to live - I certainly won't be able to live with my parents. I couldn't do it now at 19, and I won't be able to do it at 25 with my partner and a six-year-old.

Getting a job? Fine, when they create more jobs, and show me one that means I can afford to rent privately, or reduce the council waiting list, I'll get a job and live independently of benefits.

I would never opt for a life on benefits; my family were forced into that life and it's not what I want for myself or my family, but when the job system is so dire because of increasing the retirement age, and allowing anyone who wants to come into the country, how can they then expect everyone of school, college or uni leaving age to waltz straight into a job? And how can they expect parents, who are being made redundant every day, being forced to move into smaller homes when their children move to university, to be able to support an adult son/daughter, and their potential family, when there's no money and no spare room to do it with?

This systematic punishment of young people purely for the sake of being young is why I will vote for the Conservative's biggest opponent during the election, just to make sure this ridiculous idea doesn't become reality.

Cameron got a grad job because someone from the Palace, probably his Godfather, anonymously put a word in for him at Tory HQ, to him unemployment is a statistic not a reality.
No one knows how the implementation of this would work yet. Cameron has hinted at a new policy, not unveiled one in all its gory detail.

As I understand it he i rowing back from the idea of removing certain benefits from all under 25s and only removing the automatic entitlement to those benefits, so that people cannot treat the dole as a career option, but that it should hopefully still be there as a safety net in other cases. How this would work is yet to be disclosed. There is also talk of the government holding benefits to ransom against entering further education or training, but we will probably have to wait till the Conservative manifesto to know all the details of this.
So you should have the right to choose? Unless you're under 25 in which case abortion all the way? Seems pretty harsh given abortion's a pretty traumatic procedure.

No you should HAVE to choose, can you as an individual / couple, support that child,simple yes or no.

When people lose their family home do you think they have a choice, should the government step in and bail them out? How traumatic do you think that is?
People should not be able to drift from school directly into long-term benefits dependency. Having been in full time education or work since 16 I don't feel the outrage you're implying I should. In many countries unemployment benefits are dependent on a minimum period of prior employment and are calculated as a percentage of the previous salary. This may be the sort of system Cameron is intending.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending