The Student Room Group

To the girls of the forum, would you/have you ever lie/d about having a boyfriend?

The reason why I ask, is because I have a friend in university, we've known each other for two years now, and I in someways I kind of like her as more than a friend, but a while ago, when she was asked about having a boyfriend, she said she has had one for six years, but she didn't mention him once the year prior to telling me. She doesn't ever talk about him, I've never seen any pictures, no facebook etc. When people ask her what she's doing on the weekend etc, she never mentions her boyfriend. I'm probably grasping at straws here, but could it be that she doesn't have a boyfriend, and that she lied to me to a reason?

Scroll to see replies

Bumping as this took a while to be approved.
Reply 2
haha friend zone

ive never lied , if i ad to it will be to get someone to stop pestering me or to keep away from guys
I'd never lie about something like that. It's pretty pathetic really, but I'm sure people who do it have their reasons. I guess you could bring him up in conversation one day? Maybe you misheard and she said I had one six years ago...
Reply 4
nope
Reply 5
Never have, never will, but I know a few girls who have lied about having a boyfriend as an easy way of putting off a guy who they don't fancy.
I've never lied about this and probably never will.. I mean, what will I really gain from it? :/ Unless you're a total creep.. lol :smile: x
Reply 7
all the time, to get guys to leave me alone.
Reply 8
When random overly drunk men approach me on a night out and say "do you have a boyfriend" I automatically say yes. Nine times out of ten they get the message and go away :smile:
Original post by Mel1215
When random overly drunk men approach me on a night out and say "do you have a boyfriend" I automatically say yes. Nine times out of ten they get the message and go away :smile:
textbook procedure! do they actually just introduce themselves with "do you have a boyfriend?" haha that is also textbook!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mel1215

Not if they're an overly drunk male who's 6' 2", 100kg, 8% bf, 10k a day ceo etc, math phd any job they want, 300k starting
Reply 11
Original post by nopenopenope
Not if they're an overly drunk male who's 6' 2", 100kg, 8% bf, 10k a day ceo etc, math phd any job they want, 300k starting

Still overly drunk, still most likely annoying. I'd still say I had a boyfriend so they'd go away.
I would lie about it to someone in a club to stop them from hitting on me but not to someone I actually knew in every day life. She probably does have a boyfriend who she doesn't see very often as after 6 years she's probably very settled with him. It's possible she doesn't see him on weekends and only during uni holidays.
Original post by nopenopenope

Don't assume that just because a guy's rich and ripped that a girl is going to want to go out with him. Shag him, maybe, but actually date him? Most girls want a good personality for a long term relationship. :rolleyes:
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Don't assume that just because a guy's rich and ripped that a girl is going to want to go out with him. Shag him, maybe, but actually date him? Most girls want a good personality for a long term relationship. :rolleyes:

I meant to root.

Original post by Mel1215
Still overly drunk, still most likely annoying. I'd still say I had a boyfriend so they'd go away.

doubt it mang

you'd be too flustered to talk ye
She could have lied to you because she isn't interested in you...or maybe she has a boyfriend...in her mind :lolwut:!

I've never lied about having a bf, nope! What a ridiculously stupid thing to lie about...having...a...bf!
:work:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
I recently had a girl tell me she had a boyfriend, then later told me that she didn't, and that she said she did because she wanted to avoid guys flirting with her.

So in answer to your question, I don't think it's all that uncommon for a girl to say it to avoid unwanted attention.
yes today actually. Some guy out of nowhere was hitting on me and wouldn't back off so saying I had a boyfriend made him calm down a little. Similar incident happened back in high school, so lying again about having one helped massively although I'm not proud of it.
I did when I was 14 because my friend told me it would make my crush jealous... then the lie grew by me talking about his name, where he was from and how I met him.. if I remember correctly his name was Thomas, he was from Wolverhampton and I met him on holiday and we were in a long distance relationship(completely fictional). I cringe every time I think about it and I wish I hadn't have done it, even if I was just 14, silly and naive.
Reply 19
I do it all the time when guys come onto me in clubs or whatever...most of the time they get the message. It says a lot about men that it takes the threat of another man to make them leave the girl alone, and not just the girl saying it herself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending