The Student Room Group

A-levels/colleges for 'oxbridge'

Hey, I'm not 100% what I want to be when I'm older and currently I'm in year 11 doing my GCSE's but the time to decide is fast approaching and I wanted to know if anyone had idea's what are good a-levels to take in college and what colleges if any are best to go to if you want to get into 'Oxbridge'?. I know I want to travel when I'm older and I have a fondness to writing but I also enjoy science, photography, French and sports. if someone could reply with a possible solution I'd be extremely grateful.
probably not photography and not sports.
Reply 2
http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices.aspx
If you're interested in top universities

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
Your A-level choices depend on what subject you want to do at university. And there's no point trying to tailor your choice of college to get into Oxbridge - if you're good enough, they'll pick up on it, even if you go to a poor college and underachieve they should take note of your potential.
Reply 4
Choose your course first, then university. Don't fall into the trap of "I want to go to Oxbridge because everyone's been telling me it's amazing, so I'll just choose a course from their websites and then that's it". Honestly, try and get a good idea of what you actually want to do first, then start looking around at course content and all the different universities that offer your course of choice.

Just a hunch/side note: if you're the sort of person who likes photography, writing and travelling, then you probably won't enjoy Oxbridge that much. Oxbridge is more for people who are furiously, furiously passionate about academic studies. If you're more of a "bohemia" sort of person (you might not be, it's just that I immediately thought of that when you mentioned photography, writing and travelling), then Oxbridge might not be the best match for you. I could be wrong, and I probably am because I don't know you, but I thought I should mention this anyway.
Reply 5
To answer your question, though: the 'fail-proof' A levels to take would be any from English literature, maths, history, geography, biology, chemistry, physics, and languages. You really can't go wrong with those.

Take a look at this PDF from King's College Cambridge.

This page from Trinity College Cambridge's website tends to get thrown around a lot, too.
Reply 6
Original post by Катя
Choose your course first, then university. Don't fall into the trap of "I want to go to Oxbridge because everyone's been telling me it's amazing, so I'll just choose a course from their websites and then that's it". Honestly, try and get a good idea of what you actually want to do first, then start looking around at course content and all the different universities that offer your course of choice.

Just a hunch/side note: if you're the sort of person who likes photography, writing and travelling, then you probably won't enjoy Oxbridge that much. Oxbridge is more for people who are furiously, furiously passionate about academic studies. If you're more of a "bohemia" sort of person (you might not be, it's just that I immediately thought of that when you mentioned photography, writing and travelling), then Oxbridge might not be the best match for you. I could be wrong, and I probably am because I don't know you, but I thought I should mention this anyway.

THIS! Maybe a better question would be to ask yourself fundamentally why oxbridge? If you think because of the reputation then maybe you should look elsewhere, I mean, it sounds like you wanna go because it does offer an outstanding level of education but without knowing what course you want to do... It's like trying to run before you can walk :/ if you want to do something in photography for e.g. Then Oxford is certainly nt the place :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending