The Student Room Group

I have my first assignment - Finding it difficult to adapt

I have a 2000 word assignment to complete by next week and all I have is a reading list and a question. On the reading list there are 20 or so books that are huge and complicated to read. Then there are non-essential books with useful sources of information that I should consult from time to time.

I'm finding the 'independant study' aspect difficult to adapt to because I've been given no definitive framework or structure for my assignment - only 4 bullet points of what it should include.

My approach is reading one book cover to cover then synthesizing information from other sources into a pool of ideas. From this I will formulate an overarching structure which will include headings, sub headings, references.

Then it should fit togther like a jigsaw puzzle. When I'm finished I'll probably scan through other sources of information and if they're better/more substantial/obscure then I'll edit it into a particular area of relevance.

I'm new to referrencing and I've been given a huge 50 page guide on the 'Havard referencing system' and it'll take me some time to learn the rules of quoting etc.

I think I'll find developing my arguments very difficult because honestly, how do you do this? I'm still thinking in terms of PEE (point, evidence, explanation) but I learnt that at GCSE and this is a degree I'm studying for! Sure there's information in the textbooks but how do I take that and create a coherent academic argument that I MYSELF have devised?

It's like I'm stuck on one side of a broken bridge and I can't construct the bridge (the academic argument) to cross to the other side - although I haven't started arguing yet, still in the information collecting stage.

Suggestions on study advice anyone?
(edited 10 years ago)
Pick the books that look most promising to start with. Skim them first - look at chapter titles to single out which chapters should be relevant to your essay, then skim read those chapters very quickly (noting key points in the text - these will get easier to find as you get practice). Then read those chapters in depth, and make notes both on what they say and what you think of what they say. Your argument for your essay should follow from that with a bit of thought.
Reply 2
Original post by dancinginrainbows
Pick the books that look most promising to start with. Skim them first - look at chapter titles to single out which chapters should be relevant to your essay, then skim read those chapters very quickly (noting key points in the text - these will get easier to find as you get practice). Then read those chapters in depth, and make notes both on what they say and what you think of what they say. Your argument for your essay should follow from that with a bit of thought.

That's almost my approach so far. So if the author raises something relevant in their reasoning but doesn't fully exhaust the argument then I should attempt to complete their argument on my own terms?

I guess 'making notes of what I think of when they say...' is what determines your degree classification.

This is a lot harder than A level where you regurgitate information. You actually have to acquire information, synthesize it and then deduct valid academic arguments.

I'm not sure how to develop academic arguments coherently as the authors do in their books.

I'm panicking! It's like there's an imaginary box of academic pedagogy comprising argumentive rhetoric I'm required to access but I can't. Where is the key to this box? Then if I access the box I might get myself lost within it
(edited 10 years ago)
Dont panic. You arent expected to write anything too astonishing as your first assignment and all tutors see 'writing essays' as a learning experience. Each one you do will be better than the last and you will gradually improve your technique over the time of your degree.

Look at the question. What is it asking? Dont write down 'everything to do with this topic', just answer this specific question. Start by explaining briefly what the question is asking, defining any terms/theories mentioned so you are sure you understand them (and have shown the tutor that you do). Then three or four brief paragraphs actually answering the question. Then one final paragraph summing up your argument/line of explanation as a conclusion. See, its not really that terrifying at all.

Reading - always read the introduction to the whole book first as usually authors will summarise their main points/arguments there first. Only read the relevant section or chapter (look in the index for keywords....) not the entire book. Journal article are always easier/quicker to read than a book section, so start with these if they are on the reading list. Dont be afraid to look up topics/concepts in 'Dictionary of .....' etc relevant to your subject - that usually gives you a good summary of the main ideas and sometimes pointers to what particular authors are saying. (Even Wikipedia can be helpful sometimes for this bit .....)

It doesnt matter if your first assignment is a bit clumsy - just get it done, hand it in and then read your tutors comments carefully. Build from there for your next one.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending